Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan's Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:42 AM
butterwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan's Extended Warranty

I am ordering my 2005 Z Roadster next week from the dealer and waiting for it to come in. I was asking about extended warranties and the dealer gave me a brochure from Nissan. There best warranty (Gold Plus or something like that) seems pretty good because it covers everything - including belts and hoses. The dealer told me for the 7 year, 100,000 mile I am looking at about $2,500. I was reading online where people were saying the dealers make a lot of money on these things and you can negotiate the prices down. I was curious if anyone out there got the extended warranty and if you were able to get the dealer to come down on the price at all?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
dgz32

Default Re: Nissan's Extended Warranty

I called Regal Nissan regarding the extended warrenty and was quoted a 7yr-100k w/no deductable for around $1,100 (don't remember the exact figure). Of course my car is an '03 w/27k on it, so it'd actually be for a year less and the balance on the mileage.

|dg

Originally posted by butterwm
I am ordering my 2005 Z Roadster next week from the dealer and waiting for it to come in. I was asking about extended warranties and the dealer gave me a brochure from Nissan. There best warranty (Gold Plus or something like that) seems pretty good because it covers everything - including belts and hoses. The dealer told me for the 7 year, 100,000 mile I am looking at about $2,500. I was reading online where people were saying the dealers make a lot of money on these things and you can negotiate the prices down. I was curious if anyone out there got the extended warranty and if you were able to get the dealer to come down on the price at all?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:55 AM
roydiculous

That makes no sense dgz32. You are still under 3 years/ 36,000 miles.

The warranty covers from month 37 to month 84 (year 4 through 7) and from miles 36,001 to 100,000.

It shouldn't be any different getting it at mile 1 then it is at mile 35,000.

If indeed you can wait until 27k miles and get it for $1,100 that is GREAT news. I can wait 2 years (when I'll have more money) and I'll be able to see the long term reliability of the 350z better from other high mileage 350Zs.

Or is MY logic flawed?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will never buy an extended warranty again. IMO they are a sham, and a rip off of money.

Be prepared, if you ever have to use your *extended warranty* to be charged for all kinds of crud that it wont cover.

Never again....

And what sort of item would 2500 dollars cover if something major DID brake? Tranmission, almost an engine, I mean there really isnt much that would be more than 2500, and if something horrible did happen, you could always look to insurance.

I just dont trust dealers NEARLY enough to give them an extra 2500. Maybe through a third party, I guess....
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM
roydiculous

Good luck. Third party "extended warranties" are more expensive and have terrible coverage. My parents got a warranty for $1,600 for their 1997 Pathfinder. A few things went wrong after the basic warranty was over, they had to replace alternator, exhaust manifolds, and one or two other things. All in all, they got their money's worth and piece of mind.

If I'm at 30,000 miles and still thinking about keeping the Z, I'm definitely doing the warranty. I put 6,000 miles on in 2 months, yikes!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
butterwm

Thanks for the input. I am going to see if I can get the dealer down to around $1200 for it then I will consider it. This is the most expensive car I have ever bought so I want to be protected. Being a Roadster, it is beautiful when it is going through the motion of the top going down but there are a lot of things moving at once back there too!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 AM
tacomaboy

I had an extended warranty on two different cars.

Dont even gimme started on the first one. Honda Civic, bad manual transmission. Stuck in 1st gear. Less than 30k miles. When I had it towed in they tried to tell me warrant would not cover it since someon put in 90wt fluid (which was clear to me it was a lie and they were trying to scam me for 2000 bucks for a new tranny). I finally got them to admit it was a faulty tranny and that no one has EVER opened the tranny to add fluid. But even them, it took FOUR trips to the dealership before they finally replaced it (they *reapired* it 4 times and it broke again and again).

The second car, Honda Accord, 99. The front right caliper froze. How do I know? I pulled it out and saw the piston frozen CROOKED in the caliper.

When I brought it in for extended warranty service, the sales guy laughed and told me calipers dont freeze, so they would charge me for the work. When I insisted that the caliper DID freeze, he said even if it did they would CHARGE me 170 bucks for NEW PADS!!!!

I cancelled my warranty that day and replaced the ENTIRE caliper and pads MYSELF for 65 bucks.

Maybe its just Honda, but I HATE HATE HATE dealership service!!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:38 PM
SaltiDawg

Originally posted by butterwm
Thanks for the input. I am going to see if I can get the dealer down to around $1200 for it then I will consider it. ....
I belong to a Consumer Group - Washington Checkbook. They did an article last year on extended warrantees.

Some points they made.

Generally, you can purchase the extended warrantee for some (long) period of time - sometimes right up to the end of the original warrantee.

You do NOT have to purchase the factory extended warrantee from the dealership that sold you the car.

The dealer markup is frequently $300-$400 or more!

In the DC area, Washington Checkbook has identified one dealership for each manufacturer that will sell you the factory extended warrantee for $50 over "cost."

You may want to verify the above applies to Nissan and shop around - certainly tell your dealer that you intend to do so.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:57 PM
OgreDave

The warranty would be worth it if you could be assured the dealership would actually honor it and not try to BS outta it, per usual.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 PM
xxlbeerZ

Extended warranties are a waste of money.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:44 PM
seabass

I purchased a warranty for my RX-7 from the mazda dealer.

cost: $1200

They replaced:motor $5500
trans $2500

all for my $100 deductible each time, Well worth the price IF you keep the car stock and keep service records.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
ohw

I don't buy extended warranty for all my cars, only selected ones.
I had extended warranty for my Talon AWD. It easily paid for itself after the transmission was replaced twice.
I also bought the extended warranty from Nissan for my ZR. I plan to keep this baby for a long time. With all the motors, relays, switches, and other moving part for the top, one break down should make the extended warranty pay for itself.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 PM
shopdog

Originally posted by ohw
I don't buy extended warranty for all my cars, only selected ones.
I had extended warranty for my Talon AWD. It easily paid for itself after the transmission was replaced twice.
I also bought the extended warranty from Nissan for my ZR. I plan to keep this baby for a long time. With all the motors, relays, switches, and other moving part for the top, one break down should make the extended warranty pay for itself.
I agree. I bought the extended warranty for my 1998 RAM pickup. I bought the truck used, so the extended warranty kicked in almost immediately. It has already paid for itself. The warranty is through Chrysler, and any Dodge or Chrysler dealer will honor it. The selling dealer never saw the truck again, but my local dealer has seen it several times. No hassles.

I bought the extended warranty for my ZR too. It'll be a while before that kicks in, but it is valid at any Nissan dealer, so the selling dealer may or may not get any of that work. There are some competent Nissan service departments out there, and they don't care who signs the check, Nissan or me, as long as they get paid.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:41 PM
dialleft

I got an extended warrantee for my Z. Since I have electronic items like the nav, I wanted it.

We (my wife is the real negotiator in our family) negotiated an "out the door" price including tax, license, warrantee, everything. The dealer at first refused. Their story was "we need to agree on the price of the car, first, then another department handles the warrantee.” Our response was “package deal or no deal.”

Anyway, the car guys had a bottom line price. We had an out-the-door ceiling. In the end, it was the manager of the warrantee department who came in and dropped his price “for the good of the dealership”.

Did this get us a better deal? Maybe. I figure you lose a lot of negotiating power with the warrantee department if you have already committed to the car.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:20 AM
butterwm

Good point. Unfortunately, I already negotiated the price of the car but I will do everything in my power to negotiate the price of the extended warranty down. My point to the dealership will be that I bought the most expensive car they sell so the least they can do is work with me on the extended warranty costs - we'll see what happens.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 PM
xxlbeerZ

People always feel like they got a deal on an extended warranty b/c the dealer ALWAYS comes way down in price. They just have to see if you're dumb enough to pay double.

Even at half price I pass on an extended warranty. The only time they ALMOST make sense is to purchase one when your factory warranty runs out.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM
bascelik

I just cancelled mine today. Got over $1000 back on my loan. Useless. Never used it, and I had three cars so far.