Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Mustang Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:50 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ragtopz
come on!!! how can this do nothing for you?
OMG. I MUST be in the wrong thread.

Yeah, it does something for me -

Doesn't anyone else here think that car is FUGLY???????
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
wanderlust

Yeah, that GTR concept is nice, but we all know that the production version doesn't look anything like that. If it did, I would have that instead of my Z.

The stock'05 GT looks soooo weak. It would take a lot of money in mods to get it looking mean.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Rampant

You may want to wait until the '05 Mustangs come out. I was really skeptical (after owning two SN95s). But, I drove one today (at Irwindale Speedway), and I was really surpirised and quite impressed with the new platform. Much nicer interior, finally descent seats, great shifting aftion (in a much better position). But the biggest thing you will notice is the ride. Much improved. Smooth, pretty well balanced. Not the nose-heavy feeling I was used to in my older cars. Takes turns smoother (5-link rear axle and smooth track helps). Yet the tall height, relatively soft suspension and high weight makes for very noticeable body movement (roll and pitch). And the engine sound is beautiful!

In the end, the only reason I would actually buy one over a Z is if I needed the room. It is much bigger inside, and has the back seat of course. But driving wise, I much prefer the Z. Flatter, more crisp and precise, more confidence inspiring, just much more refined across the board. The Mustang feels like a sedan (albeit a sporty one) in comparisson.

Plus, the Z just looks like a sports car. The Mustang looks like it hit a wall with that really flat front and long rear. The aftermarket will help tremendously, but it will be costly and still will never look like a sports car IMHO.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:24 AM
SvR350z

I can agree with the guy that said that gt concept is ugly.
Having a Gt currently I am ready to get rid of it for a Z.
To me it just looks like the Z has alot more to offer and is a much sportier car.
I love mustang but ford really needs to design a new car and leave the retro crap alone.
Ill check out the new mustang just to make sure im not missing anything but it looks like my next ride will be Z.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:34 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

POWER:
My previous car was a 96 Cobra. Essentialy rebadged as the Mach 1 later. The first mod I did on the Mustang was to have 4:10's installed to get out of the hole faster. Test driving the Z back to back with my modified car (gears and intake), I still felt the Z had more low end torque up to about 3k RPM. I attributed this to technology: The VQ engine has continuously variable valve timing whereas the V8 gets its higher peak power by moving a static cam at higher RPM.

HANDLING:
No contest. My stock Enthusiast Z will run circles around my old Cobra w/springs, shocks, sub-frame connectors, bushings, caster/camber plates and 18" wheels with Nitto 555Rs. The feel is confidence inspiring vs. numb and downright scary if you ever experience snap oversteer!

Make no mistake, the Cobra was faster flat our draggin' in a straight line, but I enjoy driving the Z around town infinitely more and expect more on the track as well.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:35 PM
DSGMach714

Originally posted by 350Zenophile
POWER:
My previous car was a 96 Cobra. Essentialy rebadged as the Mach 1 later. The first mod I did on the Mustang was to have 4:10's installed to get out of the hole faster. Test driving the Z back to back with my modified car (gears and intake), I still felt the Z had more low end torque up to about 3k RPM. I attributed this to technology: The VQ engine has continuously variable valve timing whereas the V8 gets its higher peak power by moving a static cam at higher RPM.

I don't know, the 96 Cobra was not a real runner. 305 hp, Mach 1 305.. But the Mach is a underrated motor. 96 Cobras dyno in the 250-260 range. Mach will do 270-290.. Plus the Mach has a different power curve then the Cobra with more torque downlow.. If power were the only issue for me, I'd get a Cobra or keep the Mach..
Old 09-04-2004, 06:46 AM
350Zenophile

Originally posted by DSGMach714
If power were the only issue for me, I'd get a Cobra or keep the Mach..
What? I don't understand...I thought you already had a Mach 1?

Last edited by 350Zenophile; 09-04-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:08 AM
350Zenophile

Originally posted by DSGMach714
I don't know, the 96 Cobra was not a real runner. 305 hp, Mach 1 305.. But the Mach is a underrated motor. 96 Cobras dyno in the 250-260 range. Mach will do 270-290...
b.t.w. I take offense to that. The 96 Cobra was an underrated motor as well. dynoperformance.com

I'm assuming your car is modified since your stated numbers are higher than the dyno pulls in the above link. Regardless, with the extra breathing and torque multiplication of the 4.10's in my Cobra, acceleration should have at least matched your Mach when it was stock.

To answer your original post: "I just want a nice refined fun to drive car. Z fit that bill?" YES.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Zcarboy

Lightbulb retro it is or isn't?

Originally posted by SvR350z
I can agree with the guy that said that gt concept is ugly.
Having a Gt currently I am ready to get rid of it for a Z.
To me it just looks like the Z has alot more to offer and is a much sportier car.
I love mustang but ford really needs to design a new car and leave the retro crap alone.
Ill check out the new mustang just to make sure im not missing anything but it looks like my next ride will be Z.

I already did replace my 2001 Mustang GT with a 2004 350Z because I wanted something more sporty. Don't get me wrong the Stang has a lot of power with that V8 only to say the Cobra and Mach 1 is even more powerful. Unless you want sporty car get the Z, if want more power get a GTO or Cobra instead.

Speaking of retro isn the 350Z a retro from the orginal Datsun 240Z?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 AM
SvR350z

Could be retro of the 240z.
At least its retro of one car.
Not every car that was made.
The new mustang looks to me like they took one thing of every mustang made and put it onto the new mustang.
Im just not feeling the new mustang.
I do feel the Z for sure.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:23 AM
DSGMach714

Most Machs I see dyno stock are in the 270-280 range.. We had a dyno day out in S.cal a few months back. The lowest Mach 1 there was in the high 260's, and he had a problem with his ECU.. Mine was the highest @ 289 with limited mods (catback and K&N). The Mach has higher compression ratio and better heads/intake than the 96 Cobra (Mach uses the same 03/04 Cobra heads). That is why it usually dynos +10-20 rwhp more. So the Mach's motor isn't really a rehashed 96 Cobra motor..

But back on topic.. While I know the Z won't match the Mach in straight line acceleration, I don't think that'd bother me much. I'm still debating it..

Originally posted by 350Zenophile
b.t.w. I take offense to that. The 96 Cobra was an underrated motor as well. dynoperformance.com

I'm assuming your car is modified since your stated numbers are higher than the dyno pulls in the above link. Regardless, with the extra breathing and torque multiplication of the 4.10's in my Cobra, acceleration should have at least matched your Mach when it was stock.

To answer your original post: "I just want a nice refined fun to drive car. Z fit that bill?" YES.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Darren

I owned a Yellow 98 Cobra. Absolutely loved the color and the engine, but after totaling that car and buying the 350, I just can't ignore the fact that the build quality of the Mustangs, and Fords in general, sucks! I had to look over different cars for almost two months before I found one with decent body lines, but still had to put up with the cheezy interior. Go ahead and pull the parking brake up on one of those and you'll see straight down to unfinished drive tunnel. Loved the sound and the potential of the engine, but it was definitely a straight line car. Corners, way too much body roll and flex, not too mention that it was difficult to keep the rear end in line. Heck, even in a straight line, wheel hop was more than an annoyance. I can't speak for the new IRS, but the misleading horsepower numbers, recalls, years of non production, and the "fix" by slapping on an eaton blower make me nervous. Not to mention that when the blown cobra came out, I couldn't even get someone to give me a ride in one. The stupid Ford dealers acted like this car was some kind of rarified super car. Pleeeeze, it's just another Mustange.... I think my Z is much more refined, balanced and easy and fun to drive. The power already is close, and with some work can easily exceed that of the Mustangs. Obviously, IMHO, I would go with the Z. After a while, you'll be looking at the Mustang owners and chuckling.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
NISMOFO

I just traded up my zinc yellow 2002 GT for a 2003 Track. I have NO regrets at all. This is an overall better car is more ways than one. I had a little bit of money in my Mustang, but nothing major. I've been wanting a foreign car for quite awhile.

Mustang

Last edited by NISMOFO; 01-12-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm picky as hell with cars and I dunno

I see about 10 mustangs every day. I don't think they look particularly sporty. Most of them on the roads aren't all that fast except the occasional cobra or MACH 1, but I think I've been desensitized by them so I just can't get excited by one unless it's putting down 500whp...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 AM
GQ 350z

I used to own a V6 mustang. Was about to by the new Cobra or a Z06, but something about the Z appeals to me.

Literally I think it is a sex symbol, classy, and sophisticated.

Small things such as when the windows go up a little bit after closing the door, fit/finish etc really got to me. The attention is great, I love it.

It's not the fastest car out there, but park it anywhere like at the club and you'll get attention--I never had people talk to me at drive thrus when I had the Mustang, LOL.

I respect the cars for what they are--the 03 Cobra is a beast with bolt ons, but I'll keep what I have

Nice to see more ex and current stang owners on here. Keeps things fresh and makes you wonder if we all have a somewhat similar thought process.

Ravi
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Shahrum

I was a former V6 Mustang owner and Mustang Enthusiast. (1999 Mustang)

It was my first car, and yeah it was fun and got a lot of attention, but it was nothing compared to my Z. I had my heart set on an 05 GT but after test driving both the 05 GT (loaded 5 speed) and my 03 Z, I had no regrets whatsoever about my decision. I love the Z. Sure there will always be a special place in my heart for Mustangs, but the Z is really what I'd call a sports car. The mustang -- a teenager's muscle car.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:45 AM
bio911

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT POOR MUSTANG?!?!?!?!?!? I've owned a 93 Cobra and a 2001 Cobra. I want to get a 03-04 Cobra but insurance is crazy on it. The Z is cheap so and has decent performance so that is why i am looking into buying one... But if you do get the chance to get a 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra i'd say go for it. Badass car that can handle 500+ hp on the stock motor, Upgrade the blower with a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and it will put you at over 600hp to the wheels. You might be able to beat a cobra in the turns but on the straightaways the cobra can get ya pretty good.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
NISMOFO

Originally posted by bio911
WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT POOR MUSTANG?!?!?!?!?!? I've owned a 93 Cobra and a 2001 Cobra. I want to get a 03-04 Cobra but insurance is crazy on it. The Z is cheap so and has decent performance so that is why i am looking into buying one... But if you do get the chance to get a 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra i'd say go for it. Badass car that can handle 500+ hp on the stock motor, Upgrade the blower with a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and it will put you at over 600hp to the wheels. You might be able to beat a cobra in the turns but on the straightaways the cobra can get ya pretty good.
I spent two years wanting an 03+ Cobra, and then I spend two weeks wanting a Z (spending the same as I would on a used 03/04 Cobra)...I ended up with the Z because I knew it was as overall better car. I love the Cobras...still do, but I didn't want to be one of those people that owned 5 Mustangs in a row and never had any variety in their life. And like you said, Cobra insurance is not cheap!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ragtopz
but you know the aftermarket for the mustang is plentiful and cheap.... oh, yeah that is another thing, the performance parts for the z are REALLY expensive.
I disagree, some parts for the Z are cheaper than for the Mustang and vise versa, modular engines are in no way cheap, ever looked at a pair of heads?

I love the '05 Mustang GT and 350Z, I decided on the 350Z over the Mustang due to the Mustang's interior design, I like the material, don't like the design.

BTW, when I test drove the 350Z my brother drove it, he loved it, he has an '03 Mustang GT (at the time he didn't do the research to find out the Mach 1 had more power so he just got the GT), he wasn't expecting much, and I thought it was cool to see him change his mind so fast.