Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nose Cover Problems... yeha yeah I Know

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received the Colgan bra and I cannot close the hood even with only the hood piece on. Even if I could figure that one out, there is no way it would close with both the top and bottom pieces on. I guess I'll send it back.

I am going to call my window tinter about installing a clear bra. He said they get the kits for around $180 and installation is not difficult. I need to check the price, but don't think it will be more than $350 for the kit plus the install. They've tinted about 10 cars for me and I don't see how the clear bra could be much more difficult to install than the window tint.

Steve

Last edited by Z CRAZY; 02-21-2003 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Electro Z

Default Two Things...

I had the clear 3m installed after my nose cover wouldnt fit.. same reason...

If you have a DBZ like I do or a black or brickyard, make sure they lay another waste piece of plastic over the one going on the car so that the scrape marks are minimized. In certian sun angles you can see some scrape marks in the plastic..

Its tons better than a black cover but It bugs me sometimes.

I did not g4et the lights, and side mirrirs done... I dont know if its real necessary.

Dose anyone know how much the light covers are to replace? AS I am too lazy to do my own research..LOL

EZ
Old 03-12-2003, 11:14 AM
LeMansZCa

I had no problem putting on the nissan nose cover. My dealer gave me a great tip! Put the nose mask under the sun for about 3-4 hr before intallation. After the thing warmed up, it was easy to work with....
Old 03-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Eric1h

the colgan, i got to fit after doing that, leaving it in the sun for awhile, MUCH easier, however i cant get the top AND botttom piece fo the colgan on at the same time, one OR the other, but not both
Old 03-12-2003, 11:28 AM
vova151

I got the same tip about heating up the nose cover. Mine fits nice and snug. I need a little more force to close the hood but not near as much now as I did the first time I put it on.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:02 PM
LeMansZCa

i left the nose mask on for about a week, now taking it off and putting it on is not bad! the hood closes with a bit more push... that one stupid tab around the corner of the head light never fit perfectly... but it does fit.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Eric1h

anyone get the top and bottom piece on at the same time? I guess this just refers to the colgan
Old 03-13-2003, 03:19 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oem mask fits great, hood closes fine with a gentle push - as far as heating the masks up, it definetly helps when the mask is new - not really needed after it's been on the car awhile - - and you really don't need to put it in the sun, I put my mask on for the first time at night - after heating it up in the clothes dryer on the removable shoe rack - worked great, got it hot and plyable in alot shorter time span.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Electro Z

Default Plyable... not the problem here

My cover fit fine... right out of the box.. with one exception.. you could not close the hood. And that is with a nissan tech working it... To this day I have minimal clearence from hood to bumper.. jsut enough for the rubber seal. If you got your to fit.. congrats.... till I find one that doesnt go under the hood... I will deal with the 3m. So far I have been lucky... road rock wise.. knock on wood..

EZ
Old 03-13-2003, 05:08 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I spent 1 hour trying to get mine to fit this morning, it was a little cold and I will try to warm it up in the sun before i try again, but there are several problems, both of which I htink tend to lead me to believe that its a poor design. I am going on a long road trip tomorrow, and need some protection...but it looks liek this isn't going to work.

Here we go...

1. The screws shown in the manual, do not exist on my Z, there is no screws in my fenders where the instructions show there is suppsoed to be. There is a screw much higher up (4 inches higher), and I did replace this screw, with the new, snap screw that came with my Nissan mask, however, this location, is way too high, and will not work to properly attach the bra snap. AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE A NEW HOLE--THIS IS TOTALLY ABSURD !

2. The mask tabs are so tight, I can't even get them pushed in between the headlights and bumper piece. They will not go in at all without adjusting the headlights ore cutting the tabs. THIS SUXX !

3. The whole thing is too tight, and I am assuming that installing it in warmer wether will fix this, and I know its supposed to fit snugly, but it seems too tight to me.

4. No cover piece for the front part of the hood...WHAT WAS NISSAN THINKING HERE ? Crummy-assed paint, and no protection for it ? Why have a nose mask without a hood piece....UGHH !

I guess I will jsut be painting my bumper when I return, becasue using this Nissan mask is pointless, I am calling Nissan tech support today...I am extremely disappointed in this waste of money called a nose mask.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:09 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your not trying to close the lip that sticks up to protect the front edge of the hood in the hood are you? sorry if it's a dumb question - just surprised there is such a clearance difference (hood to nose) - - good luck - -
Old 03-13-2003, 05:15 AM
onecoolee

I can't even get mine on to the point where I can check hood/bumper fit. Maybe there are others making this mistake, but I think it would be hard to make that silly mistake, but I have seen some strange things in my time...
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 AM
LeMansZCa

i think u can try warming up the mask first. the dryer idea sounded good. i had to lay my out in the sun for 3-4 hr. i've tried just using the heater from the hse... not hot enough. the material really needs to be heated so it can stretch and pull. I had similar exp as yours as for it being too snug... first, i thought this thing will never fit... after warming it up, the material becomes workable... follow the instruction step by step and u should be ok! the screw should be there... it's kinda dark! good luck!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Eric1h

i think the key to getting top and bottom on at the same time is to remove the rubber trim piece under the hood, with that removed there should be enough room to add botha nd itlll fit fine.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:24 PM
dbpoet

Maybe some of you guys who got the Colgan bra got a bad one. Mine fits really well and I don't have any problems closing the hood. Eventually I'll get a clear bra, but for now the Colgan works fine. Too many trucks around here dropping rocks to drive around without it.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:48 PM
CAR2

All these bras and clear films are doing is preventing you from seeing your car as it should look.....

Just go with the flow - I touch up the chips and repaint every now and then. No big deal. People dont notice the chips but they sure as hell will notice the black bra!! Ugly!!!

Bras are for taking off not putting on!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Dean

For those who are interested, here are a few pics of the Xpel/Invisiguard kit on the front end of my 350Z. Thanks to Krinkov (Jeremy), I was able to get a great deal on the complete kit (self-installed)

Dean

Old 03-13-2003, 05:45 PM
CAR2

Huh. Well that does look good. Where did you say you got it?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:12 PM
onecoolee

Where are you located, do you want to do mine ???

ANyways, I finally got my Nose mask on...I put the damn thing in the clothes dryer on medium heat for 20 minutes, took it out, and went to town. It was still a tight fit, but easier to stretch and form than before, when it was cold. I actually had to remove the rubber gasket on the front of the hood to close the hood with the mask on...nevertheless, its on.

I think I will get the bumper repainted and have a 3m or xpel isntaller waiting to do the newly painted bumper...this Nissan paint is not chip resistant at all...
Old 03-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Dean

Fellas,

I am NOT a professional "clear bra" installer, just as DIY hacker who has stubbornly done 4 of these Xpel kit on my personal cars. The 350Z kit is very challenging, but you don't need special tools or Pentagon training.

Dean

Quick Reply: Nose Cover Problems... yeha yeah I Know