Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Kids today-No respect for their elders

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 03:18 PM
ZBarrister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids today-No respect for their elders

I'm driving my Z...minding my own business. (Funny all my tales start this way)

I'm at a stoplight in the middle lane. To my left pulls up an Integra with a HUGE wing and type r stickers everywhere. To my right a 2 door Accord pulls up. Lots chrome all over the cars.

Young driver behind the wheel. I think they knew each other. So the Integra guy asks me to roll down the window and he asks what kind of car it is. I tell him and he's saying it looks nice. He asks me about horsepower and how fast it is. I tell him it's a fast car and very fun to drive.

Then the passenger in the Integra, says something like...looks like an old man car. I tell him he's wrong it's a smart man's car. (I'm thinking pretty good line so F*** Y**)

Now as a preface to what happens next, I am in a really crappy mood and was listening to my homemade "life sucks" cd. Usually makes me feel better.

Well my answer didn't go well with these "utes" so they start talking crap about old guys and slow cars. They made the cardinal sin of talking about the Z like a garbage scow. Classic Enterprise fans know this is the type of thing that would set Scotty off.

So I roll up my window.

I look straight ahead and lay my foot on the accelerator to about 6K. This gets the message across and both want to play. There's a nice long stretch until the next light.

Light changes...I hit it!

Crappy start...already a length behind.

Starting to catch up when I hit second, by third i'm even and fourth i'm pulling away.

By the time I hit fifth i'm already at 100 and pulling away. I had to stop at the next light, although could have made it thru if I wanted to.

Stopped. The fools roll up and I'm laughing at them. All of a sudden I don't feel crappy anymore. I look at the drivers and they won't make eye contact. Light changes, they peel out and I resume my steady course.

Kids...couldn't even acknowledge they got smoked. No respect I tell ya'...no respect.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:44 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to encounter an econobox racer... so I'm pretty happy since I'm still breaking in.

I notice people waving and giving me thumbs up.... I always wave and smile back like I do at Walgreens... AHAHAH.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:49 PM
rep15

Cracks me up. My son said I had to watch "Fast and Furious" before my Z arrives next week - so I did last night. It all makes so much sense now. Another world I am not apart of. Liked the movie though. Anyway, zbarrister, you are now a player, but work on the launch, ok?!
Old 10-22-2002, 04:05 PM
dvlad

Default Re: Kids today-No respect for their elders

Originally posted by ZBarrister

I look straight ahead and lay my foot on the accelerator to about 6K. This gets the message across and both want to play. There's a nice long stretch until the next light.

oh man......i thought you were going to drop the clutch at that speed. Jesus...you scared me!!!!

dan
Old 10-22-2002, 04:15 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

oh man......i thought you were going to drop the clutch at that speed. Jesus...you scared me!!!!
Hehe, me too. As much as I dislike street racers in general, I can appreciate this specific instance.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:50 PM
ZBarrister

This is extremely atypical behavior for me by the way.

But dammit I was provoked.

icon6:
Old 10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Kahanakyu

Default Where?

Barrister,

What street were you on? Capitol?
Old 10-22-2002, 04:59 PM
ZBarrister

Nope...on Monterey going away from downtown. Nearby the ANJAN.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:20 PM
sschmuve

Nice kill. Thanks for the story. I thought you were going to do a 6k clutch drop too. Hehe. By the way..What songs are on the "life sucks" cd?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:26 PM
BrainStorm

This is what tinted windows are for. I have this thing--I hate being seen on the street, so my windows are very dark at 20% all around.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:40 PM
zcar70

Smile NICE!!!!!!!!

Way to go Z-Barrister! Been there, done that myself.

My '78 280z is modified to the max for speed and handling (but looks stock). Many a time a pimple faced teen pulls along with a ricer complete with Pep Boys grapefruit launcher and screw on "USS Enterprise" wing. Wants to know what a "D A T S U N" is......"never heard of it". "Is it fast?" He revs that 4 banger up! I always lose em shifting at 6000 from 2nd to 3rd. They roll up at the next light and I tell them that "this son, is a Z". 'Nuff said.

I'm sure the 350 will have similar fun....as you so elequently stated!

Z on!

70 zcar (gold, stock)
78 zcar (blue, modified)
84 zcar (gray turbo, driver)
03 zcar (LeMans, Enthusiast, February!)

Old 10-22-2002, 06:00 PM
TJZ

now just learn how to launch better and you'll really show them.

I am proud to say I am a teenager that is not in any way similar to those kids.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Brad4rdHay

I woudn't make that assumtion for all teenagers, but yes, thoose guys were idiots. Today I was at a stop light, and pulled up next to a 260z. Everyone was staring at my car, but I look over, roll down my window, and give the guy in the 260z a thumbs up. People look a little confused (shouldnt it be the other way around?), I rev my engine, he revs his, and we drive our separate ways.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Michael-Dallas

Personally, I don't even bother. Why waste gas and tire and possibly get into an accident and/or get a speeding ticket over some stupid kids?

Kids nowadays are living in their own dream world so whatever you say or do can't convince them otherwise. Let'em live in their own ignorance.

Michael.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Old Skooler

Eh, you gotta put them in their place. ZBarrister, good job. Maybe I should apologize for all the lawyer jokes I've told...
Old 10-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go ZB, BTW, I love that Star Trek episode! The Klingons insult Capt. Kirk and Scotty doesn't bat an eyelash but when they call the Enterprise a garbage scow, Scotty is ready to kick some Kingon ***! Nice Kill.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:51 PM
dczoner

Default Your honor, the two utes...

I'm sorry, did you say "utes?"

Yeah. The two utes.

What exactly is a ute?

-Scene from My Cousin Vinny - classic, gotta love it....

Anyways, as one of the more "ute-ful" members of the 350Z crowd, I'd say that there are drivers like that of all ages - I've already run street light-to-light races with a 300ZXTT and a WRX (actually both at the same time), as well as a handful of Integras/Civics, and a BMW 3-series. This car just encourages those out-of-nowhere battles, and stands up well against anything I've had to go against - without even getting above 5500 rpm (no BoxterS's or Corvettes yet, so I feel pretty confident) - but the age of the people I've driven against varies from 18ish to 35ish. Just goes to show men have severe gasoline addictions.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:17 PM
DIGItonium

ute.. eheh, i have no clue

but for some reason i picture a submarine or boat when I think about that word.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:55 PM
^Tyr

damn glad you didnt do a drop clutch from 6k,, howd you bog your start (you did bog right?) um.. c'mon an accord? good job on the kill but c'mon thier idiots. and btw. im 20, and i like to race, which i somtimes do on the road, but c'mon in traffic and such its not much fun unles syour just cruisn at like 85 or so w/ some moderate advoidance going on .. as far as taking off from redlights. sur as long as not many are around (undercover cops have 1 of every type of car produced in my town slight exageration, but i might be off by like 4 models.) i dunno i think you coulda wasted them by the time you got thru 2nd, and shut it down,, save it for the fun races.. ya and i was never an annoying idiotic brat who moded his car to look cool.. actually nobody knew my car was really modified, i never put vinel on my car once,,, put 1200 into the suspension though. (in hs i was broke c'mon ) 1200 in wheels nd tires (mostly tires) , intake and greddy exhaust on it then i realized i still had a celica (duh) point of story is.. i hate those obnoxious punks who dont know why thier modding thier car but think it looks cool as well...

wait i guess my point is, show them whatsup and learn how to get a good start

and whats w/ the startrek stuff, you guys are scaring me outta wanting to be a fellow z'r
Old 10-22-2002, 08:10 PM
ZBarrister

Do not mock old school Star Trek references Tyr!!

Consider it a badge of honor and of useless trivial knowledge that is taking up way too much space in my brain.

Name that Star Trek quote:

Dammit Jim...I'm a doctor not a bricklayer!!

Quick Reply: Kids today-No respect for their elders