Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. Corvette C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Umrswimr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
Which car, Vette or Z, handles twisty roads better?
Well, I'm a little biased, but I'll do my best:

The C5 and/or C6 will win every performance measurement you wish to use. It's far superior on the track (AutoX, RR, or drag)- I doubt there's any debate there.

So that leaves all the "subjective" things which are, ironically, subjective.

I don't think anyone can help you with this choice except to point out the differences as OBJECTIVELY as possible to help you:

1) The Corvette (esp the C5, less so for the C6) is bigger. Same weight, larger size.
2) The Corvette (C5 or C6) is faster. Period.
3) The Corvette is more expensive.

Anything beyond that is personaly preference and you'll have to drive both to make that decision yourself.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:44 AM
VR3

Z over the C5...I just don't like the seating position on the C5. C6 over the Z..but I haven't driven the C6 yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:15 PM
indochino3

I think Z is the best way to go...you can do som much in this car and make it faster then the c5 with lees money to spend.. i mean c5 is about 10k more.. with that money u can mod the z and get 330+hp at the wheels!!!(thats if u wanted more speed)my friend had a c5 but didnt like it after 1 year he trade it in.so my best bet is the z......
Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 PM
FLZ

Just my 2 cents worth. Plus I have'nt read any replies to this thread, but who the heck, and why are you comparing the Z to the C5. They are not in the same kind of catagory. ( coming from a current Z owner, and a past C5 owner)......
Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 PM
tya

The Z period. Then TT it and blow that corvette out of the water.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:40 PM
R.J._Vancouver

old 99 C5 Vette and while it has quite a bit more power than the Z is just a....ouch...dare I say this...the WHite Trash dream mobile. The Ferrari of the trailer park if you will.

LOL This is very true. You would not believe how many mullets have C5`s here in the Vancouver area.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 AM
danziger

Why are they not in the same category? Is the Vette that much better of a performer? (I truly did not know this if that's the case)
Old 09-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Umrswimr

Originally posted by danziger
Why are they not in the same category? Is the Vette that much better of a performer? (I truly did not know this if that's the case)
Two reasons:

1) The C5 is about 50% more expensive than a 350Z.
2) The C5 is considerably faster in all respects.

Most people do not cross-shop them unless they're looking at a used C5.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:53 PM
hpark

Originally posted by Umrswimr

The C5 and/or C6 will win every performance measurement you wish to use. It's far superior on the track (AutoX, RR, or drag)- I doubt there's any debate there.

I don't think anyone can help you with this choice except to point out the differences as OBJECTIVELY as possible to help you:

1) The Corvette (esp the C5, less so for the C6) is bigger. Same weight, larger size.

Anything beyond that is personaly preference and you'll have to drive both to make that decision yourself.
I agree...the C5 will beat the Z in any measurable performance category (acceleration, handling, top speed, low speed tracks, high speed tracks, etc). I mean it's got tons more power and even weighs less I believe.....the C6 will kill not only the Z but the C5 and will give the C5 Z06 a run for its money......
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 PM
hpark

Originally posted by indochino3
I think Z is the best way to go...you can do som much in this car and make it faster then the c5 with lees money to spend.. i mean c5 is about 10k more.. with that money u can mod the z and get 330+hp at the wheels!!!(thats if u wanted more speed)my friend had a c5 but didnt like it after 1 year he trade it in.so my best bet is the z......
modded car vs stock car??? I can also get a $15K civic and mod it and blow by Vipers.....
Old 09-23-2004, 03:59 PM
danziger

Well either of the choices would be a leftover or slightly used... Thanks for the help!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:00 PM
FLZ

Default Only My opinion

Originally posted by danziger
My belief is that you compare similar types of cars: example: 350Z,BMW Z4, Honda 2000, Chrysler Cross-Fire. I would measure things like, BMW M3, Mercedes CLK 55 AMG, Lexus 430 SC. When you compare a Vette,(V-8, $53,000+ loaded with a Z V-6 $40,000 max. loaded), you just are'nt in the classification. Would you compare a Dodge HEMI Pick-up Truck to a 350Z? Doubt it.... Just common sense? Well, at least mine..........p.s. Dollar for Dollar, I don't think the vette comes close....by the way, my last car was a 2000 C5 'vert.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Z_Monzter

I have two friends that own 01 C5's and when they test drove my Z, both were hating on me for having a nicer car than them. Acording to them the Z has better interior, suspension and overall looks.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
buschman

Well I'm dealing with a similar decision. A used C5 and new/used Z are on my list. First off the LS1 is one of my favorite engines, and yes I realize I'm biased. But it really is a top notch package that allows you much room to grow. If you think there's a chance you might get the mod bug then you'll really like the C5. I also agree that if performance is your primary deciding factor then you won't be disappointed in the C5. I think it would be the better choice.

I myself am leaning towards the Z. I plan on replace my daily driver, not my Hawk. So the thought of two LS1s is not really a great option. A) I'll be tempted to mod the vette, cause it's too easy. Then I have two modded V8s and that's kinda stupid. B) bad weather! I realize both cars have traction control, but 350+ horsepower in the snow is no fun.

As far as styling... Exterior wise I think it's a wash as both cars are beautiful. The Corvette has always and will always stand the test of time. It has timeless good looks. The Z stands out a little more as it's a fresh design. But that freshness can also be a crutch down the line when something fresher comes out. I think they bother turn heads. If you want to turn more, get a blower.

Interior wise I really love the Vette's Heads up display. But other than that I think the Z has a smoother interior. The optional navigation system is pretty nice. Both will have good stereo systems.

It's a tough call. The Vette has superior power, but also superior cost. The Z has a fresher look and is cheaper, but it sucks losing. :-p

Good luck,
Mike
Old 09-23-2004, 09:52 PM
FLZ

Default Maryland

Originally posted by buschman
Well I'm dealing with a similar decision. A used C5 and new/used Z are on my list. First off the LS1 is one of my favorite engines, and yes I realize I'm biased. But it really is a top notch package that allows you much room to grow. If you think there's a chance you might get the mod bug then you'll really like the C5. I also agree that if performance is your primary deciding factor then you won't be disappointed in the C5. I think it would be the better choice.

I myself am leaning towards the Z. I plan on replace my daily driver, not my Hawk. So the thought of two LS1s is not really a great option. A) I'll be tempted to mod the vette, cause it's too easy. Then I have two modded V8s and that's kinda stupid. B) bad weather! I realize both cars have traction control, but 350+ horsepower in the snow is no fun.

As far as styling... Exterior wise I think it's a wash as both cars are beautiful. The Corvette has always and will always stand the test of time. It has timeless good looks. The Z stands out a little more as it's a fresh design. But that freshness can also be a crutch down the line when something fresher comes out. I think they bother turn heads. If you want to turn more, get a blower.

Interior wise I really love the Vette's Heads up display. But other than that I think the Z has a smoother interior. The optional navigation system is pretty nice. Both will have good stereo systems.

It's a tough call. The Vette has superior power, but also superior cost. The Z has a fresher look and is cheaper, but it sucks losing. :-p

Good luck,
Mike
Hey Mike, Born and raised in B-Town, Best friend lives in GBurg. Has Two 700+ HP Vettes. Check out www.corvetteforum.com Look for John Carter. He's all over the pages. Races alot in Englishtown, NJ Good Luck, Dave B. Also look for the corvette challenge website. He also has the best vette mechanic on the east coast.

Last edited by FLZ; 09-23-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:37 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Umrswimr

These two cars really aren't in the same class, with the base prices of the 2 being $19,000 apart, you're talking a difference that could let you buy a nice compact for a kid or almost a family sedan.

For that much difference in the non-exotic world, I would personally be pissed off at Chevy if the Corvette couldn't outrun the Z.

I've spent a lot of wrench and seat time in both of them. The Vette certainly has the power. In stock form, my opinion is that the Vette overpowers it's brakes, and that the stock suspension is just as good as the Z's with those crappy Bridgestones.

If I was faced with this decision, I would probably pick the G35C. We have a user here named Eagle F1, and he has a supercharged G. Now, I know that's not stock, but he has posted several videos where he eats C5s and Z06s for lunch on big tracks.

Now, I've also supercharged a C5 for a friend, and it's hard to argue with 475 WHP at 6 psi, but none of the stock parts are then able to keep up with the engine on anything but the dragstrip.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:58 PM
KrazY-2K

I'd say wait for the C6 if you're looking to hop into a vette. Those are pretty awesome looking cars with quite a punch of performance to boot. If you're not looking to mod, I'd go with the C6. If you're going to mod to hell, then the Z might be a good platform for you. That's not to say the C6 can't be modded, because it sure as hell can be, but I'd imagine it'd be much more expensive than the Z.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
buschman

Default Re: Maryland

Originally posted by FLZ
Hey Mike, Born and raised in B-Town, Best friend lives in GBurg. Has Two 700+ HP Vettes. Check out www.corvetteforum.com Look for John Carter. He's all over the pages. Races alot in Englishtown, NJ Good Luck, Dave B. Also look for the corvette challenge website. He also has the best vette mechanic on the east coast.
Hey Dave, I wish I had the chance to run across your buddy. Sounds like a nice Vette. What's he using to get to 700, boost or juice?

I'll keep a lookout for him and the corvette challenge. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
Old 09-26-2004, 09:12 PM
the7ferret

Here is the best if both worlds..... ( Continues on Next Page)
Attached Thumbnails 350Z vs. Corvette C5-passengls1z.jpg  

Last edited by the7ferret; 09-26-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Corvette C5