Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

someone shot out my Z window, while i was driving!!! please read.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AceJ587
It wasnt a BB, or a gun. If it were a gunshot, you Would know, because any bullet (even a .22) will not just stop and disappear after going through the window, it'll keep goin and make Another hole, or damage something else in the car. Ive never heard of a defective window, and assuming they exist, it is not (virtually) possible for a window to all of a sudden Explode by itself, period. Your window was hit by a rock (or equivalent), something large. I bet it came from the residential area on the opposite side of the freeway, and You were at the wrong place at the Very wrong time...to the 1/10th of a sec.
It is compleatly possible that it was a BB. As I said above, a bb can shatter a window. Weather or not the bb went threw the window, or hit the window and bounced off, but caused enough damage to shatter the window, who knows...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:14 AM
flaviano

well, called the dealership. they don't have the glass in stock. so i have to wait. and the cost is $480. for just the side window and intallation (window is $320). i suggest you guys take car of those side windows you have. these are just way to expensive. the dealer mentioned that an auto glass company might have the glass in stock and be cheaper but that they use something called korean glass. he said the glass is not optically correct and cheap. and will look noticbly cloudy when i look out of it. have you guys ever heard of this cheap korean glass. or have you use an auto service before and had luck with it and had good quaily glass. if so which company was it and how much? thanks.

and whats with the VIP treatment for us Z owners at nissan. i called 4 dealerships and none will give me a loaner car to get to work. i had a mini cooper before this Z ($7,000 less) and BMW gave me a free loaner without any questions on three separate occations.

Last edited by flaviano; 09-22-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:27 AM
flaviano

Old 09-22-2004, 07:54 AM
sausage5000

nissan service completely sucks. after driving away the first time, you become an outcast that nobody wants to see or know about.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:25 AM
stevem

I have a co worker who drives an Accord. The same thing happened to him. Boom, the side window blew out. No BB, no rock or any evidence of one. I would support the defective glass theory.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

This past summer I was driving home from busch gardens with some of my cousins at like 11:00 PM. We had just come out of a tunnel and were on a bridge with nobody around us at all. All of a sudden the passenger side middle window blew out for no reason.(this is on a 2004 Dodge Durango). I immediatly pulled over and we had to bust out the rest of the window and cover it with a towel because it was blowing in on everyone. There is no way at all anything could have hit the window unless someone was on a boat at least 1/4 mile away with a sniper rifle :-). It is a possibility that since we were in the tunnel for so long(only 1 lane was open) the pressure in the car equalized with that in the tunnel and when we drove out quickly the pressure inside was so much higher than the pressure outside that the window blew out equalizing the pressure. I don't know if you have ever been in a Durango but they are very air tight. When you close the doors your ears pop from the pressure change.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Jetpilot718

I think I know what happened...

Thats what ya get for listening to techno and head bobbin on the way to work... lol
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

LOL
Old 09-22-2004, 06:25 PM
thunder0880

whatever the reason that sucks man, I hope that everythings works out for you.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 PM
AceJ587

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
It is compleatly possible that it was a BB. As I said above, a bb can shatter a window. Weather or not the bb went threw the window, or hit the window and bounced off, but caused enough damage to shatter the window, who knows...

Anything is possible. I doubt it was a BB. While it will shatter a window, it wont cause the window to "Explode" (unless both windows are rolled up, and the car is traveling over 80-90 mph, there would be enough pressure to cause that reaction.)
Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Dissident

Wow, I had my passenger side window replaced and it was in the low $200s if I remember (anyone need a passenger window?Going up for sale soon). Dealer is rippiing you off, I think.

Why does everyone think a moving car would be so hard to hit with a BB gun? The halfway decent ones are pretty damn accurate, and, while I haven't shot windows out with one, they have no problem shattering beer bottles from quite an extended range. I actually shot myself between the eyes with a BB gun... Was shotting at a lamp post about 50 ft away, and it hit it and bounced right back.. ouch....
Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 PM
flaviano

LOW $200's. are you kidding. was it at the dealer. i called 4 dealers in the area and all said around $450. i even called some glass company that comes out and installs windows. and when the guy on the phone saw the price of the window he said "whoawh, that is expensive". they wanted $350. but i have heard of serious issues with cheap glass being put into a car. clarity, durabilit, fit. so i am stuck with the dealer. i LOVE this car...but i am looking at alternative cars online right now. if one window costs $500 how expensive is everything else on the car? i have better things to do with my money than drop almost $500 on new windows. and as an additional kick in the *** the dealer could not even offer a rental for me. when i asked him if he could give me a rental and he said no, so i said "wow, nissans flagship sportscar and you guys can't even offer a rental to me. thats got to be pretty embarrasing for you guys huh." he didnt respond.

Last edited by flaviano; 09-22-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:07 AM
LemanZ

wow, $500 for a less than 1/2 m2 of glass is dam expensive. Normally to replace the windscreen should cost less than $200 in Australia. Not sure about America.

Anyway, US$500 a m2 should get you a 12mm or more thick tough glass (bullet proof) from the glass supplier
Old 09-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Dissident

I will check my insurance estimate when I get back to san diego next week. It was from a dealer, and the new glass has the same Nissan logo the old glass had. I coulg be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't more than $250 (don't think that included install)....
Old 09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
mwaller

My friend's BMW window shattered just in the manner you described... nothing hit it. It has to do with the way the glass was tempered at the factory. If the tempering isn't done correctly, the glass cools with uneven internal stresses. If you happen to vibrate the window in the right way (by driving, for example), the window can shatter.
I think this should be covered by warranty. I bet you'll have a hard time with Nissan trying to explain this to them, though.
Best of luck,
Mika
Old 09-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Jsn350Z

So if the window did just blow out like a lot of you are saying, shouldnt you be trying to get it replaced free under warranty?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 AM
flaviano

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
So if the window did just blow out like a lot of you are saying, shouldnt you be trying to get it replaced free under warranty?
i tried, they didnt want to hear it. i went to the dealer yesterday. $510 all together. and get this. they took 3 hours. when i got the car back the inside door panel was like 1/4 inch away from the door. the gap was so big i could see directly inside the door. also they put the window in to high. so when it does that little 1/4 inch auto close when you shut the door it forces the seal on the top way up. then when i try and open the door the window is so high up there that it can't drop down quick enough and it catches on the top metal part of the door making a snaping noise. and if that was not bad enough, i looked down by my foot sill below the Z door kick plates and saw that there were like 4-5 four inch gashes all the way through the paint down to the plastic. after F-bombing the service manager they offered to repaint my car. so now it going back into the dealership to get the window fixed again, and to the body shop to get repainted. i asked the dealership owner to give me a refund (just on the service not the actaul window part) he said NO, and there is nothing he can do....... i want all of you to imagine taking your 2 month old Z into the dealer to get the window fixed and it comes out woth a loose door panel and gashes in the paint. what would you do.

Last edited by flaviano; 09-24-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Theoretically, it could have been a BB but I'll bet it was a rock. Rocks can get thrown in about any direction from under another tire. I got tagged by a rock yesterday; sounded like a dam pistol shot but did not even chip the windshield
although it scared me and my passenger about half to death.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:44 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer service = the suxx0rs

Always has, always will...

I am so glad my dad taught me to do my own brakes, oil, clutch, etc.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

When my window blew out I was on vacation. I called this one company and they came over 2 days later to my relatives house and fixed it for me. From the time they arrived to the time they left it had only been about 12 minutes. They never even turned off their van. It was kinda funny actually. They pulled up really fast and opened the sliding door and 2 guys jumped out like they were going to grab somebody and kidnap them. The glass matched exactly also. And it only cost about $300 total with labor. The glass was like $250.

Quick Reply: someone shot out my Z window, while i was driving!!! please read.