Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Chris S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike350Z
Chris, you HAVE to a get an exhaust and power commander on that RC of yours soon. Trust me, you wont regret it. I've owned 3 RC's over the past couple years w/ different exhausts and tons of performance goodies so if you have any Q's regarding the bike let me know.
Mike, yep I've done that and more:
Current:
- Akra Ti slipons
- Dynojet PCIIIr (w/ Dan Kyle's Sato low map)
- flapper mod
- Alman speedo recalibrator
- 15/41 gearing
- stainless steel lines
- Sargent leather seat
- Ohlins steering damper w/ Harris bracket kit
- Penske rear shock
- Metzler Sportecs w/ 180 rear (not really a mod, but a def. improvement vs. stock!)

In transit:
- Yoyodyne frame sliders

W/in the next month:
- Dan Kyle Racing fork upgrades

Just curious...what don't you like about the Akras? They're good enough for almost all the World Superbike teams, so they're certainly good enough for me. I like them much better than Satos and a little better than Moriwakis.

Here are some moto-**** pics....

Closeup of my new Penske racing shock/res. (still need to clip the excess clamp)

Last edited by Chris S; 10-25-2002 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Chris S

Old 10-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Last WS6

I bought the 03 as a daily driver and am very happy with it. Shifter is a little to far forward. But that is my only complaint about it. Handles very well. Very easy to break the tires loose anywhere from 0-50 MPH. Easy to mod out for a little more hp. I like a car that does not say "look at me" thats what i have the formula for. Plus i dont want to attract attention to a fast car on the street. 800 a year for insurance. 60 bucks more than the Formula.

I paid 35,400.00 for mine a little over sticker but that was with lo-jack an aftermarket shifter.

The local dealer is hosting an SVT day at the track run by their service manager. I have had one problem with the car, they fixed it on the spot for me. Took 15 minutes.

The car is a beast. Interior is sparse,its not too busy with gadgets, just simple. Seats are nice. Only one cup holder is a bummer. Owners manual doesnt fit in the glovebox. Little stuff. Trunk is damned big.

The engine???????
Attached Thumbnails 350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra-cobraengpost.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Last WS6

Another
Attached Thumbnails 350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra-cobint2post.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Last WS6

another.
Attached Thumbnails 350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra-cobintpost.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Last WS6

Just in case you have not seen one from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails 350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra-cobsidepost.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Chris S

Originally posted by Last WS6
I bought the 03 as a daily driver and am very happy with it...
Just curious...why buy a T/A and a Mustang? That's a lot of money (and ins. pmts., I'd suspect) to be tied up into two pretty similar cars.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:02 PM
wildone_106

I was in the same boat a few months back, I had been eyeing the SVT for about 6 months, bought all the magazine reviews and info I could and currently Im a V6 owner, but the 350Z won me over once I started to get into it as an all round good car, the more the SVT started to look old to me already and plus the fact theres so many Mustangs around as people have said also put me off, I know the 350 can probably be whooped by any civic with a tail pipe but Im in love with the styling and capabilitys and that set it apart from the Ford one in my eyes..cant wait to join the Z force this Dec
Old 10-25-2002, 03:07 PM
frayed

And, with zero HP mods, it went under 2:00 at TWS. What happended in or last event there can be put down to a car that wasn't broken in... or wasn't driven well. Note that the Cobra and 350Z have the same skidpad and slolum numbers.
Hey Jeff,

I know you are a hard core Mustang aficionado (if mustang and aficionado can be used in the same sentence ), but have you driven the new Cobra? Sheeit, I took my buddy's out and put it through the paces. I consider it nothing to be concerned with in a technical setting.

We even did back to back runs down city park road and out at lime creek.

And, c'mon, you and I both know that skidpad and slalom numbers don't mean a whole lot in the real world. All those adjectives you use in connection with the handling dynamics of your S2k over a Fox body stang? What were those things you say?

Jeff
Old 10-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Last WS6

Originally posted by Chris S
Just curious...why buy a T/A and a Mustang? That's a lot of money (and ins. pmts., I'd suspect) to be tied up into two pretty similar cars.
The formula is going to be a track only car. And a couple sunny days . The WS6 is going to get a new engine in the spring and i could not justify driving it to work every day with a 15k motor in it. Just did not make sense.

And i still wanted a daily driver that had some pep to it.

Kind of like having season tickets to the Cowboys and the skins.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Mike350Z

Originally posted by jwfisher
It's well known to be 2005.

I also have a friend who works on the Team, and I'll caution you that they are severely clamping down on team people who open their big mouths. As they should.
yes, I'm aware that people in the department are not allowed to spill details and my friend is always very careful about what he says, even with me. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Mike350Z

Originally posted by Chris S
Mike, yep I've done that and more:
Current:
- Akra Ti slipons
- Dynojet PCIIIr (w/ Dan Kyle's Sato low map)
- flapper mod
- Alman speedo recalibrator
- 15/41 gearing
- stainless steel lines
- Sargent leather seat
- Ohlins steering damper w/ Harris bracket kit
- Penske rear shock
- Metzler Sportecs w/ 180 rear (not really a mod, but a def. improvement vs. stock!)

In transit:
- Yoyodyne frame sliders

W/in the next month:
- Dan Kyle Racing fork upgrades

Just curious...what don't you like about the Akras? They're good enough for almost all the World Superbike teams, so they're certainly good enough for me. I like them much better than Satos and a little better than Moriwakis.

Here are some moto-**** pics....

Closeup of my new Penske racing shock/res. (still need to clip the excess clamp)
Chris, kick *** list of mods. I'm assuming your tapped into the RC51.net and RC51.org sites for info just like the rest of us. I have no complaints about the Akras except that for the cost they dont put out the power like some other slip ons do. I'll admit that the Sato's arent the most attractive exhaust on the market but I'm past caring what looks cool on my bikes. I did own a set of Moriwaki high mounts on my first RC and loved them. Also, not to slam your knowledge in any way but its very well known that Akra doesnt actually have anything to do with the manufacturing of the exhaust on the WSB RC51. They do just about as much as Jardine does for them AMA RC51. Its all just marketing, HRC (Honda Racing Corporation) has always and always will make their own exhaust for their race bikes. Marketing is what makes racing possible nowadays. Personally I run a Yoshimura full system on my bike now. Its by far the best I've used yet.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:12 PM
GUido

I don't know if someone already mentioned this (some of the posts got a bit long ), but another thing to consider is it seems Ford is making a body change for the Mustang in '04. Now would you want a 1st year of a new car style, or the last year of a old car style.

I do agree the Cobra is a powerful beast... it's just too bad it has to look like every other 'stang on the road.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:04 PM
Radian

I seroiusly looked at the SVT Cobra. This is a big thing for a big time "F-Body" fan. However, I got to sit in one really soon after they started to be "available", All I have to say is the seating position and particularly the shifter just plain "SUCKED" big time.

I'm rather tall, 6'1" and I found the shifter absolutley TERRIBLE!!!

After I adjusted the seat to be somewhat comfortable, I had to litterly shove my sholder forward to to get the shifter into third gear. This car is just plain designed for midgets or girls.....

I am still amazed that Ford manages to sell a car that is so ergonomically pithetic for the "slightly" above height driver.

With the seat back to a comfortable position for my legs, I could hardly reach the steering wheel. Then when I reset the seat to be able to drive the car well, I felt my legs cramped. AND I still had a hard time shifting into third gear.

They got the engine horsepower right. And the numbers scream performance car, but when you get right down to it, it is an old out dated chassis with **** poor interior layout that just happened to have corporate management "bless" a super charger on it.

Can you imagine how awesome the last LS-1 Camaro's and Firebirds could have been if GM slapped an eaton supercharger on them? Of course if they did that the yprobably would never sell another Z06 corvette........

Last edited by Radian; 10-25-2002 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:31 PM
6kLaunch

I did the same analysis choosing between the Cobra and the Z. After going through all the variables, I determined that the Cobra was the winner in all categories, but it looks like 3 million other mustangs. Cheezy, plastic mustangs...
Old 10-26-2002, 04:38 AM
topdaytrader

Mustang is just too fugly to drive~
Old 10-26-2002, 09:15 AM
sage

Originally posted by RossG
<--- Owns a Mustang GT right now.

Let me clear up something I read in posts above:
No GT will ever keep up with the new Cobra unless it get boost.

Now, I am getting rid of the GT for a new Z and here are my reasons:[list=1][*]American car building quality SUCKS[*]Insurance on the Z will be $900 a year cheaper, and I have a clean driving record[*]Too many things had to be repaired under warranty. Each requiring a 4-6 day stay at the dealer.[*]The biggest reason I am getting rid of my Mustang is that they hold ZERO Resale value. In one year, the car lost $9000 in value according to KBB!!!!![/list=1]

The following things had to be fixed under warranty[list=1][*]New Rearend - Carrier bearings failed and destroyed the rearend[*]Paint did not match[*]Drivers Leather seat had to be replaced because of mis-installed seat foam[*]I had a terrible water leak because the windshield was not sealed properly.[*]A/C cycling switch[*]Steering wheel had to be replaced becuase Tomball Ford sliced it.[/list=1]
This is a pretty much bone stock car that is not driven that hard.

I had an order in for a MACH I, but cancelled it because of how bad the problems were with the build quality and such on this car.

Good Luck and btw Pick the Z!

What he said!

I too own a Mustang GT (Convertible)

Although I have gotten great pleasure from the car, it's POS American build quality really sucks. I only have 88,000 miles and the car is falling apart.

But on a straight line

And the Cobra on a straight line

But I have always wanted a real sports car. One that handles like its on rails. That's why I ordered a Z.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:59 AM
zeeing

If you like to be the badest staight line guy in town for little money....Cobra.
If you like to DIRVE and want overall quality and balance for your money....Z.

IMHO.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Chris S

Originally posted by zeeing
If you like to DIRVE and want overall quality and balance for your money....Z.
IMHO.
What's worse than misspelling a simple word? CAPITALIZING it to draw attention to it! j/k

Quick Reply: 350 Z vs 2003 SVT Cobra