Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

i have the opportunity to trade my Z for a mini JCW. would you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 12:18 AM
zmegoby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more than a little bias but I would not trade my Z. Granted a 210 hp Mini is fast as hell but it is still a Mini. The Mini is cute but the Z is sexy. The full potential of the 350z has not been untapped yet. I think as far as performance the Mini will be close it limit at 210 hp.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:10 AM
LemanZ

If you want to fit more people, just get a G35. Beside, the mini should be a very small car, but the new mini just seem a bit too big.

As for the trade-in, I know a guy who originally have a honda civic paid off, he trade in to a prelude, than S2000 ---> Type R ----> beetle ----> mini S, and now i think his car loan is start from nothing again...!! But the dealer always told him he got a good deal, wtf

If you really want to change your car, sell the Zed on ebay or privatly, Trade-in just not the way to go. The dealer will for sure take 20% as thier profit and told you is a good deal.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:51 PM
mini2nut

I own a base Cooper S with 163hp. I agree with the members here. Are you crazy? That 3.5 is one jewel of a motor...
Old 09-26-2004, 09:44 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i just wanted to see what the hell a jcw was
Old 09-26-2004, 10:17 PM
bascelik

The works on a Mini is still not enough to approach Z's performance -- not even in straight line (its not that 'Mini', believe me that thing is heavy!). Not to mention around the corners... A Mini will looks 'cute' but that's it. Z looks overall much better in any comparison (aside from 'cute' and even there, it is even at best). Now, if you're looking for a 4-seater, perhaps I could see that as the only reason for getting the Mini -- except, I'd go for some other 4-seater. Mini befits EU roads -- maybe. But not American roads, you'll be like David amongst Goliaths .

Cheers.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:41 AM
FairladyZ

I dont like the looks of the mini, but I raced one and we were pretty much even. I couldnt believe how fast it was. No joke.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 AM
TheLex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting dilemma. I had to choose between a Cooper S and my Performance 350Z, when I was looking at cars. I chose the Z because it just plain has a whole lot more power. And it's not turbo/supercharged power either. It's smooth, now power.

And while the mini looks cute, cool even, the Z looks like modern art. Stylewise, the Z is just plain sexier.

Lastly, I'll pay Nissan repair prices anyday over what BMW/Mini charges! That is, if my Z ever requires out of warranty service :-)
Old 09-28-2004, 09:48 AM
JeffR116

One of my good friends has a MINI. He has done a few mods and it feels fast. However the only way I would trade in my Z for a MINI is if it was turbocharged, not supercharged, and it had 400hp.

That being said, keep the Z man! Trust me, you don't want the mini.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
flaviano

i am keeping the Z. why did i want to trade in the first place? i had my drivers window replaced on the Z. $510. thats insane. the dealer then told me EVERYTHING on teh Z is expensive to fix. my god. if a window is $500 what could everything else be. so i figured, hey get a mini save alittle $$$ for other stuff. i actaully had a mini S and traded it for my Z. i really loved the mini but the transmission broke at 2000 miles. i consider it a bad luck of the draw, but i still needed to get rid of the car after that. all you guys with your mini jokes. you need to get out there and drive one first. you will be surprised at how solid it is and how well it handles (outhandles the Z for sure). so this weekend i went to the mini dealer. drove one. and ill tell you what. afetr driving the Z for a few months now, no i will not trade for a mini. there is two big a power difference (of course). plus the Z feels more german solid than the mini does. and the interior is classier. i asked them what i could get on a trade for my 2 month old, base, silverstone Z with 4500 miles. they told me $22,000. thats horrible. with the mini i actually made money when i traded it in. the mini has the best resale of any car. so i'm keeping the Z. and i love it. even if they gave me $26,000 i would still not trade after hopping in a mini this weekend. don't get me wrong. the mini is a great car , but it is no Z.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:58 AM
longbowe

Welcome back to the family.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
JeffR116

Originally posted by flaviano
i am keeping the Z. why did i want to trade in the first place? i had my drivers window replaced on the Z. $510. thats insane. the dealer then told me EVERYTHING on teh Z is expensive to fix. my god. if a window is $500 what could everything else be. so i figured, hey get a mini save alittle $$$ for other stuff. i actaully had a mini S and traded it for my Z. i really loved the mini but the transmission broke at 2000 miles. i consider it a bad luck of the draw, but i still needed to get rid of the car after that. all you guys with your mini jokes. you need to get out there and drive one first. you will be surprised at how solid it is and how well it handles (outhandles the Z for sure). so this weekend i went to the mini dealer. drove one. and ill tell you what. afetr driving the Z for a few months now, no i will not trade for a mini. there is two big a power difference (of course). plus the Z feels more german solid than the mini does. and the interior is classier. i asked them what i could get on a trade for my 2 month old, base, silverstone Z with 4500 miles. they told me $22,000. thats horrible. with the mini i actually made money when i traded it in. the mini has the best resale of any car. so i'm keeping the Z. and i love it. even if they gave me $26,000 i would still not trade after hopping in a mini this weekend. don't get me wrong. the mini is a great car , but it is no Z.
Yeah, my friend's mini just had his transmission go out on him. The housing was cracked, and all the tranny fluid leaked out. The bell was completely gone, as in, disintegrated. He got one of the new Getrag Trannys though.

I agree, I drove the MINI, and it will outhandle the Z, but is a slug powering out of corners.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM
dnguyent

Flaviano,

The dealership is almost always going to overcharge you for service. I've called the several local dealerships to get a quote for such things as AC recharging and clutch/flywheel replacement, and it's always been 50%-75% higher than an independent mechanic. I'm not saying all dealerships are like this, as it seems like the ones that sponsor this site are quite reasonable.

I'm sure a BMW dealership would have charged you at least $500 to replace your window too. Good choice in keeping the Z. I was also in the market for a mini cooper S when I bought the Z. I think I would have been happy with the Mini too, especially after riding in my feathered tires for the past month.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Setter32

Just my opinion. Not fact.

I went against a bunch of these supercharged minis at the track, as in a track with turns.

They are fast and maneuverable. But I would argue the statement that they are more maneuverable than the Z. It all depends on how you drive and your skill set. Regardless, in terms of "bang for the buck"......"power to weight ratio"...........you've made a bad move (as in trading your Z for the Mini).

But in terms of....you liking the car, it feels good to you, you have a blast in it, you like the way it looks, etc., etc......................then better performance and power doesn't mean much, now does it? As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Last edited by Setter32; 09-28-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Setter32

Oops. Sorry about that.

I missed the post about you keeping the Z.

Congrats.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
NismoChic

Originally posted by love1u0
Are you out of your fricken mind dude??

Hehehe I count help myself !