Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Inova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think most security systems are useless. think about it. how often does someone stop and pay attention to a car going off from an alarm? if the theif really wanted to steal the car they would probably already know everything there is to know about doing it without looking suspicious.

i think that if you are going to put another security system on your car, then do not put the brand's stickers or anything to show that it is different. imo the led lights and all that really take away from it. it would come to a much bigger surprise when the thief is not expecting it.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:16 AM
djlynch

My .02 cents novel.

I used to work at Circuit city, and I used to put them in. Some things to keep in mind:

About the IDEA of an alarm in GENERAL

First you should identify who are you trying to defer from stealing your car, Experienced thieves or punks.

Experienced Thief that makes a living off doing so, or a Punk kid trying to get a new radio or whatever.

* If an experienced thief wants your car, it is his. End of story. Key won't turn/crank? Club? Starter kill? To get around any of this, one word: TOW IT. Like I said, experienced. Whats it to him to buy a tow truck if he is stealing 5+ cars a week/month.

* If a PUNK wants in your car he is probably wanting to do this with no attention or trouble. Most of the time when cars are broke in to, a thief is trying to get something he KNOWS is in the car, whether it is a purse on the floorboard, or if you were blaring your 5000 stereo earlier in the same vicinity as the guy, whatever. If the punk thief is in a parking lot with 100+ other cars and is just wanting to "break into cars", chances are he will bypass any ones that have leds or theft deterrent clues on them and go for the easier cars (the ones without).

* If he STILL goes for the Z, well, there is really not too much you can do (except call the insurance company). Even if your alarm goes off when he breaks your window, well, there is a broken window to buy.

Now, some points about alarms:

1. If you can put it in yourself with no experience/training, it is worthless (regardless of instructions). Alarms are complex and require ALOT of wiring. The typical "do it yourself-er" won't be able to install a viper, for instance, without a complete headache. However, let an EXPERIENCED shop install it. Alot can get screwed up in an alarm install if not done properly.

2. Trust a reputable brand. For instance, viper will pay up to 2000 for a deductable if your car is broken into.

3. Some alarms have some neat features on them. The coolest new alarm I know of is the newer high end vipers and the high end prestige. These have the pager built in the remote, and will let you know NOT ONLY that your alarm is going off but what has been triggered (door opened, window broke, or someone triggered your shock sensor by bumping it... etc.). Both run around 550-600 installed.

4. Get 2 horns. Have one installed hidden. Otherwise, If your alarm horn is cut, your alarm might still be going off, but no one knows it while the thief goes through your stuff.

5. Tell the installer not to fuse it under the hood. This is how alot of alarms are installed, and all a thief has to do is reach under the front of the car, find a fuse that is out of place and pull it, rendering your alarm useless. Hey, at least the Z has all the paneling under the front end, right?

6. If you are really ****, have them mount the brain somewhere out of the ordinary. C.City mounts in one of 2 places: Under the steering column (the most typical place of install anywhere) and behind the glove box. This is done because if you have problems with it, it is easily accessable by the technician. HOWEVER, it is easy to access by theives. Bust a window, alarm goes off. First place a thief will go is under the steering column. Rip it out: $500 alarm in the parking lot doing nothing.

Talk to the manager of the shop. Have the shop take a little extra time and put it somewhere "unique". Could be worth a few extra bucks in the end.

Sorry about the novel. Just trying to inform.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMPORTANT - HOW TO CIRCUMVENT CRIMINALS WITH ALARM CODE GRABBERS.

Have your alarm set so that it passively arms and locks your doors. This way, you never push the button on your remote when you walk away from your car. The alarm will automatically arm and lock your doors when you shut off your ignition, open your door, get out and then close your door. Since you don't push the button on your remote, the code can NOT be grabbed. I have this type of alarm in my Z and I highly recommend it.

Video About Code Grabbers:
http://www.ravelco.com/video/video1.html

Last edited by Intrepid; 03-01-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:24 AM
JimmysZ

Default Ravelco Response

Originally posted by mysteriumZ
mikey, i had the same idea, i acutally talked to one of them ravlco reps, and they told me its very easy to install the system and u can do it yourself.
and they send me an email:

"We are sorry, but unfortunately at this time we do not have a Ravelco Dealer or Distributor in your area. The number of request we receive for the Ravelco from your area is overwhelming. We are working everyday to get a reputable dealer-distributor for your area but at the present time we do not have one.

You can do one of two things, if you are somewhat mechanical or know someone who is, you may purchase a RAVELCO directly from us and install it yourself. We will be more than glad to coach you with the installation over the phone, or you can have your auto dealer or mechanic install it for you (recommended). They should not charge you more than $50.00. In any case we guarantee the Ravelco for life so you will want to make sure it gets installed correctly. If you need the names of some references who have done it this way, email us and we will gladly give you them. Every single customer who has done it this way has been satisfied.

Your Insurance Company will give you a discount for the Ravelco.

If you wish to do this, send $159.95 US Dollars,
Cashier's Check or Money Order"
I contacted them and got a similiar form letter basically indicating they dont have a local installer, but suggest it can be done by a dealer \ mechanic or by myself if your the average home mechanic. I asked them for instructions to determine the level of difficulty but they would not send them due to security issues which I could understand.

All they said was: Sorry, we cannot send instructions. The RAVELCO is connected to your electronic fuel pump and starter. The connections are made in the Power distribution box. We sell them all the time for the new 350 Z's. We have never had anyone call us back complaining. The owner of the company will not let us send out instructions.

Where is the power distribution box?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sending instructions is stupid. A criminal could easily order this product and the instructions would be included. So I dion't understand how this is a security issue.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:56 AM
JimmysZ

Originally posted by Intrepid
Not sending instructions is stupid. A criminal could easily order this product and the instructions would be included. So I dion't understand how this is a security issue.
True.

Comparing the Ravelco system to the Powerlock (powerlock.com)system, I believe the powerlock system is probably superior IMO. All I got from Ravelco on the install was that all the connections are made at your Power Distrb box which possibly indicates a relay of some sort is used? Also, once theives learn where the power distb box is they could probably defeat it? Powerlock seems like a better deal since it physically disables your starter.

For anyone who has reviewed both companys systems, what are your opinions?

Thanks...