Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The clutch/gear shifter on this car SUCK!!!And nissan service bites!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002 | 02:41 PM
Slexis200

Default The clutch/gear shifter on this car SUCK!!!And nissan service bites!

Everytime i shift, its like an effort to put the car into gear. Its really bad. It happens like 95% of the time, in every gear. It should be easy to put it in any gear, it should just slip in, but it doesnt. So i called up 1800nissan1 and reported it, then i brought it to the dealer.

After waiting 2 hours for someone to actually look at the car, someone drove my car with me in it, to see what i was talking about (and looked at the film on the windows, like everyone has). He saw right away something like a syncro or somthing was messed up, and said i was right its not shifting correctly. After all that they said they'd call tech support and i should come back monday. I was like oh ill wait whileyou call them, theyre like oh no they keep us on hold for a long time, so i left. I prob should have stayed, but ill be back there on monday. Service is terrribllllle there. Really Terrible..... This is on long Island. The car is really driving bad i have to say, its just not comfortable driving it.

Anyone know the New York lemon law? hows it work? How to qualify?

-Josh
Old 10-25-2002 | 02:47 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Not sure about NY, but in CA, if you have to take the car back 3 times to fix the same thing, it's a lemon.

Here's a page for you!
Old 10-25-2002 | 02:51 PM
archduke

Default Which dealer?

Slexis which dealer?
Old 10-25-2002 | 02:53 PM
Slexis200

Five Towns Nissan
Old 10-25-2002 | 02:55 PM
2003z

I took mine in 2 weeks ago today for the exact same problem. They couldn't get through to the tech line and said they would get back to me. Still waiting! (Sutherlin Nissan, Mall of Georgia). We're having our Ga Z club show there tomorrow, so I figure I will follow up then.
Old 10-25-2002 | 02:59 PM
Slexis200

I mean i know there are people who dont have there car yet, and those who arent even getting one. But it still sucks, driving the car is a pain, and going to the dealer is an even bigger one, i just want them to fix it.......
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:04 PM
Slexis200

So is yours like really bothersome to drive? Shifting gears is pretty much anoying...... right? And just not feels smooth..... How many miles you got? Do you think this is lemon law entitled??? Whats going on.........

-Josh
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:05 PM
archduke

Default Check out..

Slexis200,
It may be a bit of trip for you but the service department at Smithtown is top shelf. Ask for Joe or Dave, they will treat you right. I have been dealing with them for the past 12 years.
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:10 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Slexis200
So is yours like really bothersome to drive? Shifting gears is pretty much anoying...... right? And just not feels smooth..... How many miles you got? Do you think this is lemon law entitled??? Whats going on.........

-Josh
I don't know if its lemon law or not, but this is how internetabyss' tranny problems started. he says its a misaligned clutch. Its not so much bothersome, as frustrating. It is totally impossible to shift quickly, and by no means what I would consider to be one of the best shifters around, according to the magazines.
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:14 PM
jreiter

I keep reading about odd problems like this and it worries me. I've been debating the purchase of a 350 since January, and I'm right on the line between keeping my current car another year or getting a 350. I was down at my local Nissan dealer a couple days ago and they had 3 Z's on the lot ready to be sold. I was very tempted to get one right then and there. (black, silverstone, and brickyard) But then I remembered all the strange little things like this and I had to keep my wallet in my pocket.

Perhaps I'm just being a worry-wort. I'm sure all these little problems will be worked out eventually. <sigh>
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:15 PM
cotmfk

If it's a misaligned clutch, shouldn't they just be able to re-align it for you and then you're on your way? (Corrdct me if I'm wrong please.. I'm just trying to learn here)
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:15 PM
Slexis200

yes but i think his car has just as many miles as mine does on it. The smithtown idea might be good...... But, what if they tell me the same thing, im sure theyre going to have to drive it, then call tech support etc..... 5 towns nissan is around the corner, so its very easy for me...... Other wise i really would.... But they pretty much said theres nothign they could or would do untill they spoke to tech. We'll see. I want this fixed quickly, its quite anoying to drive the way it is now.....

I really thought it would go away after break in, but its getting worse, not better..... Do alot of you have these problems? Im seeing a number of people, but a majority?

-Josh
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:20 PM
Zoro

Default chill

so you had to wait 2 hours and they have to confirm the problem with techical support, before ordering the replacement. I really don't think you can make a valid statement that the car is trash and the service at this dealer sucks because of this.

how many miles do you have on your car any way?
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:20 PM
alphaz

Hey Guys,
How many miles do y'all have on your cars? I have a rough shift from 1st to 2nd mostly when the Z has not warmed up all the way. Is this how y'alls problem started?
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:21 PM
Slexis200

Bottom line, i will never purchase a car without driving it again. Ever, Period. If you drive the Z before buying it and see nothings wrong, then i advise buying it. If they wont let you drive it, id wait 6 months before buying one!

I had the problem starting when i picked up the car, but i didnt realise how bad, since i was so excited....

-Josh
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:29 PM
Slexis200

No no no....... I went to the dealer..... I told them the problems... ok. I said you might not be able to fix it today, do you mind having someone just check it out first with me in the car, to see what it is. He said ok, in a little bit.... That turned into 2 hours. And yes thats a long time to wait for NOTHING. Then he said hed call tech and i should come back. Yes its bad service.
It wasnt just the wait, it was the attitude as well, being pretty much like we cant help ya here buddy, tough. And they didnt call tech with me there, and i dont know if theres any replacement? They pretty much said see ya later, maybe theyll have somthin for you....

Ive got 1500 miles on mine

And no you should have no rough shifts ever on a brand new car! (pretty much never) Ive driven a whole bunch of new cars (Z3, S2000, A4, 330Ci, 540i 6-speed) Non felt like the **** this one feels like. Im sorry im alittle mad now, but I got used to it for a while, but now im just pissed after driving someones A4, the shifter outright sucks, and feels like crap. His car just slipped into the gears, and i was like oh yeah, thats what a NORMAL manual feels like. This should not happen on a brand new $30,000 car! plain and simple.

-Josh

I want everyone to call 1-800-Nissan-1 if they have this problem, because i want them to fix mine, and eveyrone elses! The more calls the more attention, the more attention, the faster we get it fixed.... If you think its just a little problem, get it fixed now, before it gets bigger... Maybe its just 1st to 2nd now, it could get worse? (maybe not who knows) But mines pretty bad......
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:34 PM
archduke

Default Sorry to hear..

It is shame that you are having those problems. As of today I have truly enjoyed driving my car, and I look forward to each new experience. Let them correct the problems. They, Nissan, do want us to be happy motorists. My interview on Wednesday proved that to me. The 3 Reps (One from Tokyo, one from California, and the other from this area) all listened intently to my thoughts, suggestions, observations, and gripes no matter have trivial.
You are understandably upset now but they will fix the
problem(s) and you will be a happy camper in the long run.
One Man's Opinion!
Attached Thumbnails The clutch/gear shifter on this car SUCK!!!And nissan service bites!-p9130063_small1.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002 | 03:37 PM
Slexis200

Hey im no doubt sure, once my car is fixed, and everything is running smooth ill forget about all of this, its just untill then..... P.S. todays my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

-Josh

(wow this must be a record number of replies to your own post )
Old 10-25-2002 | 04:12 PM
alphaz

I'm meeting with a Nissan Rep. Tuesday the 29th. I will ask him about the clutch alignment, window streaks, noisy throw out bearing.
Old 10-25-2002 | 04:41 PM
2003z

I've got 2000 miles on mine, but I'm not really worried about it, I'm sure it will eventually get figured out. btw, the tech took it out first, then I rode with him. He really didn't want to take it to redline, as my shifts get harder with higher rpm. I had to tell him it was ok. The tech felt what I was talking about and said it didn't seem right to him. THe next tech, the senior one, said it was supposed to have a 'positive engagement' like a nascar racer. We'll see what happens, I'm having another member drive my car tomorrow and compare, then we'll talk to the techs again.

Quick Reply: The clutch/gear shifter on this car SUCK!!!And nissan service bites!