Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Holloween Surprize...Ghostly white under my Clear Coat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
alphaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holloween Surprize...Ghostly white under my Clear Coat.

To start off I have a Super Black Track. It has an embarrassing amount of ORANGE PEEL over 80 % of the car. I called NNA and started a case . They told me to take it to the nearest Nissan Dearler and have them look at it. That was on the 14th of this month.
On the 19th I was at the Town Center Nissan Dealership for the Z car show. I notice on the passenger side door a slight discolor. It had never been there before. I tried lightly to compound out the WHITE SPECKS to no avail. They were under the CLEAR COAT . These WHITE SPECKS start at the front of the passenger door and go back to the rear quarter panel . The strange thing is that where they stop at the rear quarter panel you can see a perfect line down the side of the car.
To me it looks like there was a problem in the painting of this car and they had to reshoot it. So they taped off the problem area and repainted.
It took almost three weeks from when I got the car for the WHITE SPECKS to appear.
I made an appointment with Sutherlin Nissan to see my Z on Tuesady the 22nd. They confirmed everything I pointed out and said there was a serious problem with the paint.
If anyone out there is a paint person and has some advice I am open to suggestions. I have never had an issue like this with a NEW CAR.
I am meeting with a Nissan Rep. on Tuesday the 29th. At this point with the ORANGE PEEL and WHITE SPECKS
I am going to ask Nissan to start all over .First sand the car down and repaint the whole car.
Sorry for the length of this post.

Last edited by alphaz; 10-25-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:49 PM
imntcrzy

hopefully they give you a loaner car, because if they do a paint job the right way they will have the car for a while.

The most important thing about a paint job is prep.

first they must sand, lay down primer, lay down a few coasts of paint, few more coats clear coat, let the paint cure, sand again then buff.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:54 PM
michael350

there is no way in HELLLLLL I would keep that car. A brand new car getting a whole new paint job. No way not in my eyes. Id tell them to give you a new car.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:01 PM
alphaz

Should my first approach be replace the car?
Old 10-25-2002, 05:50 PM
ztom

I also have super black, and am very disappointed with the orange peel all over the car, with the rear spoiler being even worse than the rest. At 1st I thought it was water spots and wiped the spoiler with a damp chamios. It didn't come off, so then thought it was black paint splatters. I now think it is severe orange peel, purposefully put there to match the rest of the car.

BTW, what 20% of your Z doesn't have orange peel?

As for the spots, I haven't seen any yet, but will keep an eye open for them. Keep us posted on your ordeal - lots of luck.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:06 PM
alphaz

The roof and part of the hood is ORANGE PEEL free.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Ohio350z

Most likely you are not going to get a new car. Nissan will not eat that, and they are not required to. The new paintjob would be appropriate compensation. You may want to use this as an opportunity to get the car painted a custom color. Midnight blue or some other color that does not exist. Just a thought
Old 10-26-2002, 09:15 AM
alphaz

with so many people out there with ORANGE PEEL, I can not believe the low respone to this thread.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Rocket2023

yep, we are all on the same page. This is a real issue. We are disucssing how incredibly thin the paint jobs seem to be.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=9382
Old 10-29-2002, 11:49 AM
alphaz

I took my Z to have the Paint job looked at by a Nissan Rep.
Nissan sent an INDEPENDENT paint person to evaluate my paint job. I was informed that :

1) I was not allowed to talk to him. WTF?

2) I was not allowed to see his evaluation of my paint job.WTF ?

3) I might hear from NISSAN in 48 hrs. as to what they might or might not do to fix my paint. WTF ?

Right now I'm boiling MAD. I am so pissed off. I paid $ 40,000.00 for a car that has a $hiTTY paint job and some kinda of contaminate under the clear coat.

I better stop writing before I say something I might regreat.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:13 PM
M|22

It's not just the 350Z that has paint issues. There are many reports that the new Altimas and Maxima paint jobs are just as bad. Luckily I haven't inspected my 2003 Altima close enough to see if I'm affected
Old 10-29-2002, 03:24 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Default Re: Holloween Surprize...Ghostly white under my Clear Coat.

Originally posted by alphaz
These WHITE SPECKS start at the front of the passenger door and go back to the rear quarter panel . The strange thing is that where they stop at the rear quarter panel you can see a perfect line down the side of the car.
To me it looks like there was a problem in the painting of this car and they had to reshoot it. So they taped off the problem area and repainted.
You have to wonder because of the visible line you have that there wasn't a repaint done prior to delivery, at the port maybe. This kind of stuff shouldn't happen.