Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:35 AM
lazyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires

What do you think are the "right tires" for the 350z in the Balto/Washington area? We have occassional snow but may go for long periods of time between snow storms, and blizzards are rare. True snow tires might give suboptimal performance on the dry and wet roads which, would make up the majority of driving. Are all-season tires good enough assuming we won't try to drive the Z in deep snow due to the low ground clearance? I'm thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S in the same sizes as the stock on my 17" wheels. Does any body have experience with these particular tires on a similar car?
p.s. I did a search and reviewed all the tire threads, but this particular question hasn't been addressed enough to make me comfortable spending $800+ on tires I may not like after I get them.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:49 AM
jckolnturn

Would you really drive your z in the snow anyway? It's only 4.5 inches off the ground, maybe you could plow with it.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:35 AM
lazyZ

No, I will not drive my Z in the snow on purpose. I am well aware of what the ground clearance is. But what if I get caught at work after a light snow? I'd like to get home on lightly covered or plowed streets. I have 4WD jeep available to me to use if I know it's going to snow. But even on dry roads, these summer tires we have won't perform as well in the cold until they warm up. Can ayone answer my question without a wise-crack reply?