Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why would Z be any worse in the winter than...........?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Jason Bourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z is driveable in snow with proper snow tires as many have stated. The only real problem is the ground clearance. Anything over 6" of wet snow or 12" of light, fluffy snow and you start having problems. With good summer rubber, you'll get stuck on anything that vaguely resembles a hill. The diff isn't very good either so you end up with 1WD.

My solution has been to rent cars when it snows. I live in Manhattan so having a winter beater would cost me an extra $550 /month for parking which is too much. But since we typically only get about 5-10 real snow days here per year, getting a rental from Hertz for $60 on those days is well worth it. It's cheaper than a set of snow tires+wheels, provides peace of mind because if I wreck the Taurus I really don't care and if I need to rent on a workday, I just expense the bill to work anyway.

Just something to consider. If you live in a place like Maine or Vermont that gets a lot of snow, it wouldn't work but it's a pretty good solution for the more "temperate" climates.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:46 AM
s4m222

FWD isnt any better from my experience... 01 accord on all seasons, its alright if u are VERY light and smooth on accel and turning, but its damn near impossible to START moving on a uphill if u stop on it....

around my house there is a very LONG a fairly steep hill... first red light i was zoned out and braked light even for decent weather and i blew by the red light thankfully there were no cars... i will never do that again...

but after that i got some gas and checked tire pressure @ a shell wihch is in the middle of this hill and upon getting back on the street i found i was pretty much stuck spinning my 2 front wheels trying to get moving up the hill.... and the funny thing was there was another crown victoria looking car, RWD with a grandpa in it ALSO spinning his wheels like a ****.... after a few seconds of experimenting with my spinning to much, too little i took of, VERY SLOWly and gradually moved up the hill... but that grandpa couldnt get it right and was still spinning his wheels when i got going,

needless to say it was an eye opener, i love driving in snow just because im still young @ heart but its dangerous as a ****, given i was on all seasons with 3-5 inches of snow but like most people are saying with winter tires and good driving habits you should be okay...

note:i do not have a Z or G35, yet KAKAKA =)
Old 12-13-2004, 06:06 AM
kernel

who can drive in 6 inches of wet snow anyway? unless you are in an SUV with some crazy winter tires i don't even thing an all wheel drive car could handle 6 inches of wet of 12 inches of fluffy. besides what town would have that much snow on the road? any town in the midwest usually has plows out before the snow even hits the ground. most cases you dont' see anymore then 2-3 inches of snow and if you see more then that on the road its time to stay in intill the plows to get around.