Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I went on a 300+ mile trip this weekend and now my car runs better than ever.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I went on a 300+ mile trip this weekend and now my car runs better than ever.

I went on a small weekend getaway with my g/f. For the last month I have been having problems with my car idling horrible, an occasional knocking sound at lower rpms. I took it in and had the computer reset just to see if that helped. It did nothing. I figured it was a bad tank of gas. I put some fuel system cleaner in about a week ago and have gone through 2 tanks of gas before my trip and didnt notice much of a difference. But after my trip this weekend my car has been running awesome. It was all freeway driving. My avg. speed was 67mph and I pulled 30.7mpg I figure I cleared out what ever was giving me issues. I love my car again.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
pburgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

i love the z for long trips. i drive 500 (250 each way) miles every three weeks or so back to Northern NY and I can't get over how nice the ride is.

great handling, plenty of oomph, dvd player, people staring as they drive by (or get passed)... can't beat it!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Nforce1

I did the same this weekend... But unfortuanatly, Im still having problems with the car's idling and knocking at low RPM's. I do know what the problem is though. Its the MAF sensor, it started doing this when I first tryed to put my CAI in, but was missing a part so I had to put it back to stock, ever since then I had the knocking.

I went to Nissan and they told me the MAF was throwing codes, so they replaced it. The problems went away. 2 weeks later I got the part in for my Injen CAI, and I installed it, and the same exact problems are happening again.

Although, I dont want to take it in for that because of the Intake and they'll try to void my warrenty and charge me some $400 for a new MAF sensor.

But like I said before, I went on a little trip from Vegas to Orange County for the weekend to visit some friends! . I had a blast! Never saw 1 cop the whole drive either way. 300 miles each way, plus another 150 during the weekend. It was awsome
Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 AM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver:

There is an easy explnaation why it improved.
Do you do a lot of gentle and/or in-town driving?

Carbons up the compustion chamber which can lead to, uneven idle, drivbability problems even knock sometimes.

Add to that the super gentle driving of break -in on our newer cars and you start out with carboned up combustion chamber which juist gets worse if normal driving doenst include hiway driving or at least 3-5 minutes at 100pmh per week.

Right after drive in I took the Z on a very fast 100 mile trip to prevent just such aproblem.

Fred..
Old 10-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by palmerwmd
Silver:

There is an easy explnaation why it improved.
Do you do a lot of gentle and/or in-town driving?

Carbons up the compustion chamber which can lead to, uneven idle, drivbability problems even knock sometimes.

Add to that the super gentle driving of break -in on our newer cars and you start out with carboned up combustion chamber which juist gets worse if normal driving doenst include hiway driving or at least 3-5 minutes at 100pmh per week.

Right after drive in I took the Z on a very fast 100 mile trip to prevent just such aproblem.

Fred..
Agreed. Carbon buildup is a B**tch. Even guys I know who baby their classic cars open up the pipes every now and then to "clean her out" lmao . Hillbillys

You dont have to mash the gas if you're worried, just get the RPMs up