Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replacement Shocks with Hotchiks Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Shocks with Hotchiks Springs

So, I only have 50,000 miles on my Z but my ride quality is pretty poor. I am atrributing most of this to terrible 2003 OEM shocks and old tires (I will address tires next).

What is a good replacement shock to run with Hotchiks Springs? I wanted to go with Blistein B8's but they run $800 for all four!

Any opinions?
Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Nihsnek
So, I only have 50,000 miles on my Z but my ride quality is pretty poor. I am atrributing most of this to terrible 2003 OEM shocks and old tires (I will address tires next).

What is a good replacement shock to run with Hotchiks Springs? I wanted to go with Blistein B8's but they run $800 for all four!

Any opinions?
You want the BEST, well, you get what you pay for. And BTW, $800 is a good price for 'Steins.

On a budget: Tokico Blue - about $500 (GOOD), Tokico D-Spec (if available) $750 (BETTER)

Option: Bilstein B12 ProKit. Eibach Pro Kit spring set + full set of Bilstein BX (X denoted because original B12 ProKit came with B6 shocks, apparently later-current versions with B8)

Konis are up there in the Bilstein (alone) price range. Are stiffer but adjustable. Currently running these with ProKit springs. Prefer Bilstein.
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Mic couldn't have said it any better
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 PM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nihsnek

Any opinions?
I have hotchkis springs on tokico blues, works great
Old 09-24-2015, 11:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Mic couldn't have said it any better
x2...sup nihsnek...
Old 09-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I recently installed the following:

Bilstein Shocks You buy one front right and one front left, and two rears (identical)

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Front Left
Part Number: 24-101561
Series: B8 (SP)

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Front Right
Part Number: 24-101578

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Rear
Part Number: 24-101585
====================

Tein S-Tech Springs (two front and two rear)
Part Number: SKP26-AUB00
Spring Rate (kgf/mm, lbs/in): Front: 6.9/386 Rear: 7.2/402
Drop: Front: -17mm (-0.7”) Rear: -14mm (-0.6’)

The Bilstein shocks are just great. I doubt you can find anything that is better.

The Tein S-Tech springs are OK, but just too “bouncy.” I’m going to replace these with Swift springs.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Alex Tappin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mic and Spike. I have read through Spikes superthread about his install and have a couple of questions!

I am wanting to go with the Tein S-Tech Springs over hotchkis (due to the lowering height of rear vs front). I am thinking of Hotchkis 22413 sway bars as well. I am having troubles deciding what shocks to go with. I have met someone at work who has an extra set of Koni Yellows, which I hope to see how much he will sell them for (hopefully cheaper since we both have Z's lol). The Bilstein shocks also seem very tempting but also expensive.

I have thought about staying stock shocks for now until I talk with my co-worker about his koni yellows.

In the meantime, how much of a "waste" would it be to grab some Tokico HP blue shocks? I have read through a few forum posts and a lot of people mention they are really similar to stock shocks. There are some people who state the Tokico are slightly better and "beefier" and not the same as stock (with pictures to prove the Tokico blues are slightly thicker than stock).

Just some thoughts and comments would be nice!

2003 350z. Stock suspension at the moment (wanting to upgrade).
Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Alex Tappin
Hey Mic and Spike. I have read through Spikes superthread about his install and have a couple of questions!

I am wanting to go with the Tein S-Tech Springs over hotchkis (due to the lowering height of rear vs front). I am thinking of Hotchkis 22413 sway bars as well. I am having troubles deciding what shocks to go with. I have met someone at work who has an extra set of Koni Yellows, which I hope to see how much he will sell them for (hopefully cheaper since we both have Z's lol). The Bilstein shocks also seem very tempting but also expensive.

I have thought about staying stock shocks for now until I talk with my co-worker about his koni yellows.

In the meantime, how much of a "waste" would it be to grab some Tokico HP blue shocks? I have read through a few forum posts and a lot of people mention they are really similar to stock shocks. There are some people who state the Tokico are slightly better and "beefier" and not the same as stock (with pictures to prove the Tokico blues are slightly thicker than stock).

Just some thoughts and comments would be nice!

2003 350z. Stock suspension at the moment (wanting to upgrade).

I run Koni Yellows on my '03. Great shocks due to their adjustability. BUT, if I had my druthers, I'd rather run the Bilsteins (B6 or B8) I had before I gave them to my son. The Konis, however, are true performance shocks and despite the not-so-great ride quality, are definitely worth the money.

My take on Tokico (and in the referenced thread, versus KYB): https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10705621

Bottom line: Tokico Blues are the best PERFORMANCE shock in it's class (Low-Mid-priced); so, no, not a waste of time.

PS Still laugh at the title of this thread (and use of same misspell in the OP....) "Replacement Shocks with Hotchiks Springs". Ummmm, as much as da guys love da "hot chiks springs", it's H-O-T-C-H-K-I-S. A correction I'm sure Mr. Hotchkis appreciates. Heh heh....

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I run Koni Yellows on my '03. Great shocks due to their adjustability. BUT, if I had my druthers, I'd rather run the Bilsteins (B6 or B8) I had before I gave them to my son. The Konis, however, are true performance shocks and despite the not-so-great ride quality, are definitely worth the money.

My take on Tokico (and in the referenced thread, versus KYB): https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10705192

Bottom line: Tokico Blues are the best PERFORMANCE shock in it's class (Low-Mid-priced); so, no, not a waste of time.

PS Still laugh at the title of this thread (and use of same misspell in the OP....) "Replacement Shocks with Hotchiks Springs". Ummmm, as much as da guys love da "hot chiks springs", it's H-O-T-C-H-K-I-S. A correction I'm sure Mr. Hotchkis appreciates. Heh heh....
Awesome thread you linked me to! That really brings my attention to getting the blues.

Would you suggest different springs to go along with the tokico blues and H-O-T-C-H-K-I-S sways? Or do the tein seem reasonable?
Thank you!
Haha, hotchiks
Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Awesome thread you linked me to! That really brings my attention to getting the blues.

Would you suggest different springs to go along with the tokico blues and H-O-T-C-H-K-I-S sways? Or do the tein seem reasonable?
Thank you!
Haha, hotchiks
No, the Teins are fine. If you read any of my other comments about springs, you'll see my attitude about them is "there isn't a lot of difference between them".

Sure, quality wise, I advocate sticking with name brands - of which, Tein is one of them - but insofar as complexity of design, springs are the least difficult component for a manufacturer to get right, vis a vis, say, a shock or a sway bar.

Spring rate? Check. Overall length? Check. Good supply of spring steel? Check. Done.

People love the Tein springs. Here's another thread that discusses them and overall what you're looking for - good street suspension: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

EDIT: which suddenly dawns on me that that might be Spike's thread that you already alluded to...oops.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-24-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Spike100

Shocks…
I agree with Mic about the Tokico Blue Shocks. They are decent shocks and a little better than stock. That’s actually saying a lot because the 350z stock shocks are pretty good.

With that said… I really like the Bilstein B8 Shocks. They do a great job keeping the tires planted.

Springs…
Don’t discount the Hotchkis springs because of the drop. I think your concern is that the Hotchkis springs have more drop in the rear than the front. If so, don’t worry about that. The Hotchkis springs make the car look great, and have slightly more drop at the rear than the Tein S-Tech springs (Hotchkis Sport Suspension 19413 Front Springs have a 9/16” drop and Rear Springs have 3/4 in” drop).

A ¾” drop maintains the suspension geometry so you probably won’t need to add suspension components to align the car. You might not even have to roll the rear fenders, depending upon the wheels and tires you mount.

The Tein S-Tech springs are a little “bouncy,” but that does provide a slightly more comfortable ride. The Hotchkis appear to be linear. That will result in more predictable (some would say better) handling.

Last edited by Spike100; 01-24-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by MicVelo
No, the Teins are fine. If you read any of my other comments about springs, you'll see my attitude about them is "there isn't a lot of difference between them".

Sure, quality wise, I advocate sticking with name brands - of which, Tein is one of them - but insofar as complexity of design, springs are the least difficult component for a manufacturer to get right, vis a vis, say, a shock or a sway bar.

Spring rate? Check. Overall length? Check. Good supply of spring steel? Check. Done.

People love the Tein springs. Here's another thread that discusses them and overall what you're looking for - good street suspension: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

EDIT: which suddenly dawns on me that that might be Spike's thread that you already alluded to...oops.
Yup that is the thread!

Okay awesome. Thanks for you input!definitely helps to have this extra knowledge. You are awesome on these forums! Thank you
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by Spike100
Shocks…
I agree with Mic about the Tokico Blue Shocks. They are decent shocks and a little better than stock. That’s actually saying a lot because the 350z stock shocks are pretty good.

With that said… I really like the Bilstein B8 Shocks. They do a great job keeping the tires planted.

Springs…
Don’t discount the Hotchkis springs because of the drop. I think your concern is that the Hotchkis springs have more drop in the rear than the front. If so, don’t worry about that. The Hotchkis springs make the car look great, and have slightly more drop at the rear than the Tein S-Tech springs (Hotchkis Sport Suspension 19413 Front Springs have a 9/16” drop and Rear Springs have 3/4 in” drop).

A ¾” drop maintains the suspension geometry so you probably won’t need to add suspension components to align the car. You might not even have to roll the rear fenders, depending upon the wheels and tires you mount.

The Tein S-Tech springs are a little “bouncy,” but that does provide a slightly more comfortable ride. The Hotchkis appear to be linear. That will result in more predictable (some would say better) handling.
Yes, my concern with the hotchkis springs were exactly that. There have been a few that don't like it but a lot more are really pleased. I especially like the lower (even though it is like .2 inches less than tein).

I really like the bilstein as well. Although, I think for now I am going to go for the tokico as they are a lot cheaper (unless I can get those koni ones for cheap from my coworker).

Hotchkis or tein springs. I like the fact that the hotchkis appear to be more linear.

Thanks for your input as well Spike. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Spike100

You won't go wrong with either Tein or Hotchkis springs.

If you want more comfort (softer ride), go with the Tein S-Tech springs.

If you want better handling (you prefer linear springs) and more drop, go with the Hotchkis springs.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just throwing this out their... How do the tein basis compare with say tokico shocks with springs? Seems to be about the same price and you get a package made for each other... Plus its adjustable even if they dont go any lower then most springs.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by Spike100
You won't go wrong with either Tein or Hotchkis springs.

If you want more comfort (softer ride), go with the Tein S-Tech springs.

If you want better handling (you prefer linear springs) and more drop, go with the Hotchkis springs.
Awesome. Thanks for more insight!

I also noticed the hotchkis are about 10lbs heavier than the tein springs and about $100 more. Not much of a difference but still a difference.

Im not sure what springs I'll end up with, but I am planning on purchasing this week and will be happy regardless since both have great reviews and are both great springs.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:40 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I've actually been looking into Springs and struts to replace my coils. Thus thread helped a lot
Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I've actually been looking into Springs and struts to replace my coils. Thus thread helped a lot
Awesome! What are you thinking of running?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Steeles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Just throwing this out their... How do the tein basis compare with say tokico shocks with springs? Seems to be about the same price and you get a package made for each other... Plus its adjustable even if they dont go any lower then most springs.
Curious on this as well. i'm actually debating the Swift Spec R springs and a set of shocks or for the price debating if I trust that tein matched the shocks in the basis kit to those springs...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Alex Tappin

Awesome. Thanks for more insight!

I also noticed the hotchkis are about 10lbs heavier than the tein springs and about $100 more. Not much of a difference but still a difference.

Im not sure what springs I'll end up with, but I am planning on purchasing this week and will be happy regardless since both have great reviews and are both great springs.

Thanks everyone!
Update! Went ahead and purchased the tokico blues, H-O-T-C-H-K-I-S sway and tein springs. Noticed my tires are still feathering pretty bad and have been reading about camber arms. I have been reading stories and people are saying its better to get them as it will help tire wear and such. Any suggestions on what I should buy or what would go good with my setup? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks with Hotchiks Springs