Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 05:17 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by vinz
u mean the 2004 zs are coming out next year ?
I believe it's standard practice for auto manufacturers to change the model year in preparation for the change in calendar year.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:25 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

This car is fantastic!!!When you ask people what problems you have or how would you improve it you get a bizillion replys but
this car is great as delivered so don't let the negatives get to you.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:58 AM
Zedagive

Haven't had one problem that's been mentioned on this forum with my CS6MT Touring (VIN xxxxx3718). I love everything about this car (even the Bose!!. I think some of the bugs were still being worked out on those early deliveries. Now if feel fortunate that I was forced to wait a little longer.

-Zedagive
Old 10-29-2002, 06:46 AM
brackethead

People are right -- you hear more about the minor problems and small complaints than the big picture. For me, the big picture is that I'm 100% satisfied with my car! Yes, there are things I've complained about, but none that make me regret my purchase. I just love driving it, love looking at it, love owning it, and I feel that I really got my money's worth.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:43 PM
vinz

Originally posted by perfectlyfrank
I believe it's standard practice for auto manufacturers to change the model year in preparation for the change in calendar year.
but i thought they had problems clearing the 2003 models. anyway im not sure either. what im concerned is what z to get with 30000 budget.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:58 PM
zzzyaaa

4,000 miles and no problems at all. 50 years old and this is the best car I have ever owned. MSRP after the pre-order's are
going to be at least $5,000.00 over. I can't imagine what the 2004's are gonna go for.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:58 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Is this what you want to hear?

Since taking delivery of VIN#00159 on August 24th, I have racked up over 3000 miles on the odometer so far. To sum up, this car is Zuperb! I am very pleased and happy with the Track Model 350Z that I ordered, and can honestly say that the 19 month wait after submitting my depo$it was very well worth it! Let me preface my driving impressions by saying that my other Z by comparison is not at all stock like the 350Z. My 240Z has Bilsteins, Interpart sway bars and Motorsport strut bars and handles very nicely on it’s Yokohama AVS intermediates on 15” Panasports - stiff and taut in corners, with excellent turn-in response. The engine is stock however. The 350Z really impresses me with how well engineered the ride is. It is equally the match of my 240Z in rapid lane changes and 'slaloms' but is SO much less stiff over bumps and road obstacles - the 350 shocks are very nicely tuned. Body lean is about the same for both cars – which is to say hardly any at all! I expect that ultimately, the stock 350 will pull more lateral G’s than my 240Z, but that test is yet to come at the track. Many have criticized the 350Z for being so heavy at 3220 lbs., but I assure you that the weight is in the excellent chassis – it is taut and stiff to enhance handling and response. Coupled with the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) system, it is a very easy car to drive near the limit. There is no drama and behavior is easily controlled and predictable. To me, the one feature of the 350Z that outshines all else is the sweet handling of this car – I feel like taking on Miatas in corners! The new Z is nimble and responsive. I was very surprised to find that the turning radius of the 350Z was smaller than #1 daughter’s Turbo Beetle! The 350Z exhaust could be a bit louder, but it has a very nice growl that you can experience with the windows rolled down. Power is very very smooth and impressive - the car is docile at moderate rpms and power is available whenever you want it by just leaning on the gas - delivery is smooth and akin (in my experience) to the linear throttle response of an NSX. None of the drama, turbo lag and sudden rush of a turbo car. The brakes were initially what made me order the Track model, and they have not disappointed. The car stops very sure, and although the pad material seems a bit ‘soft’, the performance and ability to “heat soak” without any brake fade is very reassuring – this I attest to after a few series of “test rides” provided at the last Z Club Meeting! The sexy appearance of those golden orange Brembo calipers through the slender spokes of the Ray’s forged wheels is truly captivating to me…
The six-speed shifter was originally a bit stiff, but has broken in very nicely so far to a silky feel. The short throws take but a flick of your wrist to execute. Gear ratios are very well spaced, and the dual personality of this car is apparent so that you can short-shift and squeeze 27 mpg out of it, or wind it up in all gears to extract rocket ship acceleration! There is no comparison to the 240Z in terms of power, smooth delivery and flexibility of acceleration in any gear due to the relatively flat torque curve. This car will flat out run! Yet, acceleration is possible from 35 mph in 6th gear without stutter or any other protest from the VQ3.5 motor. Still in 6th gear, 100 mph is only 3960 rpm! Nissan scores once again with a beautifully engineered V-6 powerplant.
Inside, I am VERY impressed with the seats. They are comfortable and very supportive in terms of lateral cushioning. The added bolstering and femoral support to the driver’s seat is appreciated. Just the thing to have in Auto-x'ing! I always thought the 240Z seats supportive and comfortable in a long drive without fatigue. The 350Z seats have excellent (and better compared to the 240Z) lateral support and yet are not so 'fiddly' as Recaros, which also have been sort of stiff in the thigh support area to me. Front and side vision outside is very good. The view out the rear window is a very narrow slit. Vision to the rear quarters is poor at best – drivers are cautioned to use their outside rear view mirrors! All window glass is surprisingly small in terms of square inches - even the front glass. It is so small in fact, that I may consider not tinting at all. Cargo volume behind the seats is smaller than my 240Z – but then you don’t buy a Z to carry cargo, do you? The auto-dimming inside rear view mirror is a must for a low slung, sports car dealing with bright truck and SUV headlights at night, and the built-in Autolink transmitter is very convenient.
I should also mention that from the start, I was after a carbon fiber look to my 350Z ‘dream’ car interior. I am very pleased with the look and more importantly the feel and texture of what Nissan has done with the 350Z – not to say that carbon-fiber replacements are not in my future. I know that the aluminum accents inside mimic the style of the Audi TT, but the use of REAL aluminum instead of silver plastic on the chassis, door handles, shift gate ring, shift ****, steering wheel, and gauges is elegantly executed. A downside to aluminum is that it does get hot if it sits in the summer Texas sun! Critics of the 350Z interior I think have been weaned on leather interiors, which I do not personally care for. To each their own tastes though - I like what Nissan has give me.
The built-in trip computer has a number of gimmicks to it, but the most important is the tire pressure monitoring system, which is just great. I can watch the tires increase in pressure 4 pounds while I drive into work in the morning! It is accurate, and is a reassuring safety feature to have. In fact, I wish all cars had this feature. The Xenon headlight pattern is excellent, giving a broad pattern with a sharp horizontal cutoff. Fog lights are not needed here.
Complaints to date have been few and relatively minor.
1. Location of 12 volt power outlet in the rear bulkhead – virtually useless!
2. Large amount of brake dust put out on wheels
3. Cheap material used to cover headliner and sun shades – overage fabric from Sentra production?
4. Design of curved engine oil dipstick – you cannot avoid spilling oil on intake trunk or engine manifold cover when checking the oil level!
Quality is superb to the point that my JD Powers survey was answered without noting a single complaint!
Overall, I think Nissan has a winner and head turner here! Like other 350Z owners, I have become resigned to answering “ambush interviewers” at stoplights asking about the car. My 350Z delivery was 30 years and 3 months since I took delivery of my 240Z from a Datsun dealer in Vancouver Canada! Nissan has beautifully demonstrated what it can do in the intervening years! For the price, the performance and technology provided is unmatched and is a terrific value! Go Z!!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Bjmnzzzz

Default Life is not a dress rehersal...

As Janis Joplin sang... "Get it while you can!"
Old 10-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

China Clipper,

You almost made me cry. Great description. My car is due next week and I can hardly stand the wait. I hope to be able to write just as glowing a report in the next month or so.

ZZZyaaa - We met at the Z Fest in Fremont a few months ago - along with Point Five Zero - glad to hear you love your car. Hope I can say this is the best car for me too. I have owned a Porsche (356C in 1966), an Alfa (1969 GTV), a BMW 2002, and an Acura 3.2TL
Old 10-29-2002, 03:10 PM
zeeing

Default I LOVE this car!!!!!

I love what Nissan has done with this car. I have another tricked out Z (super stiff for the track) which has been my daily driver for two years. All I can say is that in all those familiar roads and curves the 350Z does it better and smoother. This car is amazing. Nissan has impressed me again by backing up their product when there have been problems.

LOVE the car....LOVE the philosophy....LOVE the experience!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
zzzyaaa

I remember, that was the first time I laid eyes on the Z. Awesome car.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:42 PM
icepig

Default Like or love it?

JsZ,

Are you nervous after waiting for 10 months? Is the tension about to break? Are you afraid that the car of your dreams will fail in the perfect pedestal on which you've set it? I can't say, because to each their own. Oh, **** that: You will not be disappointed!!! I decided that indeed, I do love my car.

Compaints:
1) Middle (CD) compartment doesn't pop up by just pressing the button
2) There is snow on the ground. This car does not like the snow.

Happiness is from:
1) Exhaust note (yes this is a sports car - it is not your average Acura TL V6)
2) Dash/instrumentation (it's bright, clear, and right in your face)
3) signal stalks - (they just feel so nice - it's the little things too!)
4) Shifter - short throws, and very precise
5) Steering - the best steering feel I have experienced - easy to use in any situation
6) Power - below 4k, this car goes nice and quick, and I haven't experienced the high revving yet - can't wait!
7) Seats - very comfortable and heated too
8) cd changer - finally I can not risk accidents by refusing to listen to 1 cd my whole trip
9) handling - was that a corner, or was it a figment of my imagination?
10) climate control - easy to use and powerful
11) computer - tire pressure, temperature, miles to run out of gas (sooo cool to have for the first time!)
12) looks - this order is random, so don't worry - it is beautiful. People will tell you that. Lots of people will. Again and again.

Please note: Ignore #2 under complaints - Orlando? Lucky bastard.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:50 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Default Re: Is this what you want to hear?

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
Since taking delivery of VIN#00159 on August 24th, I have racked up over 3000 miles on the odometer so far. To sum up, this car is Zuperb! I am very pleased .... lengthy post
One word: PARAGRAPHS
Old 10-29-2002, 06:59 PM
emu29

Default Re: Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?

Originally posted by jsz
After almost 10 months of waiting (ordered 1/26), my Touring MT Silverstone loaded is finally expected 11/14. But everything I read here seems to scream out "DON"T DO IT!".......Bad paint, bad tranny, squeaks and rattles, bad Bose (at least this has a fix) etc. Is there anyone out there who has their car and doesn't have bad things to say. Maybe waiting for 2004 isn't such a bad idea after all.
Just got my Chrome Silver Touring fully loaded except for the Aero package this last Friday. I love the car....it is really fun to drive. The only issues that I have at this point is the radio is muffled due to the overwhelming base, however, when you play a CD it sounds great. Of course, there is a fix for this. The other issue I have is that once you get up to speed, on the highway for example, it does get load behind the driver due to wheel noise. It is not horribly bad...but I plan to Dynopack (sp) the spare tire wheel well and the metal deck below the rear cargo carpet. The interior is nicer than what I expected from reading some of the threads here. I polished the car with Klass this weekend so I was able to really look at the finish closely and the finish is perfect. When you wash the car you do get a fair amount of residual water drainage coming off\from the rear hatch..but it is not to bad...you just need to open the hatch and let it drain a bit and wipe the excess water away.

Other than the few items above, so far, the car is great. I have a fellow worker that has exactly the same car...we ordered them the same day and they came in the same day and he is in love with his car as well. If the car holds together it will be a great fun car for many years.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:30 PM
BRICKS Z

Default AWESOME BABY

I LOVE MY CAR ITS PERFECT NOT A SQUEAK OR A RATTLE
#485 TOOK DELIVERY AUG 23 1 PM
I'D SLEEP WITH IT BUT IT WON'T FIT IN MY BED

GET IT AND FOR GET THE PIN HEADS WHINING
CRAIG
Attached Thumbnails Need some "luv".....Does anybody like this car?-copy-of-me-and-myz2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2002, 08:39 PM
importriders

Default This car is great!!!

This car is soo great that thousands of people bought and are still buying this car without even personally seeing one!!!