Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with VDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with VDC

Recently I've been having some problems with the VDC. What happens is I'll spin the wheels (not necesarilly on purpose, even a very minor one) and on the dash, at the same time the "slip" and "vdc off" lights come on and stay on. The VDC does actually shut off. They stay that way untill I turn off and restart the car. That's happened maybe 4 times in the last month or so.

Also the ebrake light comes on during hard breaking, hard acceleration (around top of first gear), and while downshifting into 2nd. That's happening quite frequently, but both problems started occuring around the same time. Actually... kinda right after one of my track days where the car got to do some "offroadin", but I think that's just a coincidence?

I'm taking it to the dealer today, but just curious if any one else has experienced something simillar.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:05 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your brake fluid level?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
drew76924

ya that happened in mine 2 but mine the lights on mine wouldn't turn out even if i restarted the car.. its at nissan right now for that and a new tranny
Old 10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Blackie

ok, service guy said possibly worn brakes or fluid level, but no explanation for the vdc (altho i didn't really ask)
Old 10-20-2004, 05:21 PM
bamyi

Default Re: Problems with VDC

The VDC does actually shut off. They stay that way untill I turn off and restart the car.

So does the VDC stay on or off? If the "slip" and "VDC" comes on and turns off, thats normal. I have that happen to me all the time. But if it stays on all the time than I would get it check.

As for the E-brake light turning on during hard braking, i really dont know but I can assume that maybe the car is automaticlly using the e-brake so therefore the light turn on.

Is it me or the 350z has ALOT of problems? My tire psi light is ALWAYS on and freaking makes that peeping noise everytime I start up. Makes me wanna crash the damn thing.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Sponge

Hey, this search thing works

Any updates? What was the final answer on this problem?

This same problem is now happening to me. I'm simply driving straight and the parking brake light on the dash comes on first, then 10-15 secs later the VDC and SLIP light come on and stay on. It clears after a re-start. The VDC is OFF during this problem, I safely tested it in a parking lot.

I was thinking are the brakes are worn at 12k? Maybe low brake fluid levels but why would there be such a lose of fluid over just one year? Sounds like something is defective there somewhere.

It's too dark to look at the car now but if the fluid is full and the pads are good the car is going to the dealer Monday
Old 01-08-2005, 07:37 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's important to note that your VDC light should NEVER come on unless there is a problem with the VDC system. I have pushed my car excessively around corners just to learn the behavior of the various stability and control systems, and the only light that should come on is the slip light.

If your VDC light is coming on, that indicates that something has gone wrong with the system, and you should take your car to the dealership. I would not trust the VDC system to protect you if this light is coming on.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Sponge

Noted kcobean..

Blackie returned my PM and said after changing some worn pads all was good. Since the pbrake light does come on first this may be the real issue. Without enough rear pad material, the VDC system will not work effectively so the dash lights up to let us know.

Maybe Nissan inadvertantly gave us an electronic worn pad indicator LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 09:38 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Interesting thread.

I have pushed my Z through corners .. felt the back end slide a little with the VDC on ... BUT ... I have never, not even 1 time, seen the "SLIP" light come on.

I think this needs checking ... anybody else have this ?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 AM
ANXIOUZ

Weird. All of those lights coming on sounds like an electrical issue to me.

VDC is invisible to the driver. If it comes on to help out, you might notice a decrease in power or something, but the light will NOT come on. The light only comes on (and stays on) if you press the button to disable VDC.

fairladyZ in Japan - I only see the SLIP light come on briefly if I spin my tires on wet pavement while turning. Sliding seems like more of a VDC thing to me.

There's one stop sign in particular near my house where it's a steep uphill right-curve immediately from the stop. On a rainy day, my tires spin every time and I see the SLIP blink at me a bit before I get traction. That's really the only time I ever see it.

Last edited by ANXIOUZ; 01-10-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Landbarger

Alright, as far as my understanding goes, Base has nothing, Enthus has vLSD and TCS, Perf has vLSD and TCS and VDC. My friend has an 03 Enthus and a button to turn off his TCS, I have an 04 Perf but only a button to turn off the VDC, and no way to turn off the TCS, will turning off the VDC kill the TCS too? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Mr_Q

Read your manual. The only light that should come on when VDC activates is the "SLIP" light and it will flash. That is normal.

If you have VDC, you have TCS. VDC employs it's own version of TCS in it program (hence only one button). When you turn VDC off, you turn TCS off too. Only the LSD and ABS remain active.

Conditions that can activate VDC:

1)Tire slip

2)Vehicle YAW that is counter to your intended heading (this is it's main feature/benefit).

3)When ABS kicks on and you happen to be turning subtly. That's more to do with number 2, but it should be noted separate since it might not be so obvious when it happens.

If any other lights are coming on, and/or if none of the above conditions were happening, then something's wacky.

VDC can be upset by a change in wheel and tire size that is out of spec from stock. Ride height changes from lowering springs can cause the system to go nutty too.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:40 PM
bellos

adding 17" wheels in the mannual touring ( for winter) can upset the VDC?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Mr_Q

Originally posted by bellos
adding 17" wheels in the mannual touring ( for winter) can upset the VDC?
If the tire height has changed, yes.

You need to keep the overal diameter as close to stock as possible.

With aftermarket wheels and/or tires--some in here have not noticed any VDC issues whiles others have noticed lots of issues. It all has to do with how far the tire/wheel height is out of spec from stock.

The biggest issue is making sure to maintain the height relationship from front to back. If those are off, it will really cause the VDC to go nutty.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Billyz 212

Has anyone taken this problem to the dealer? If so what did they tell you. I too am having the same problem. Sometimes the Slip VDC and E brake light all go on as soon as I turn on the car what the hell gives?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Landbarger

Mr_Q- Thanks for the response, I bought the car used and haven't found my answer (gave up looking) in the downloadable manual, but the car didn't have one with it. Thanks again though.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Vash350Z

i dont think my VDC light has ever come on, but my SLIP light came on and Stayed on onetime when i was doing donuts