Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 09:12 AM
DesertDogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sat Radio

I am buying a Touring Model. I want to add Sirius Sat Radio to my new Z. The dealer said they can't locate one with it. Isn't it a dealer installed option? Shouldn't they be able to add it to a Touring Model?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:47 AM
rockinbboy

Hmm...I thought it was an installed option. Did they change it for 2005?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 PM
FairladyZ

Yes it is a dealer installed option for 2004 and 2005. Both types.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:29 PM
DesertDogs

Originally posted by FairladyZ
Yes it is a dealer installed option for 2004 and 2005. Both types.
Thanks for the reply

I had an idiot for a salesman. He told me to go to Audio Einsteins to get one installed. Guess I will find a new dealer.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:11 AM
cbduece

I thought it was XM not Sirius. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:29 AM
RJW0501

Originally posted by cbduece
I thought it was XM not Sirius. I could be wrong though.
both are available, from what my parts dept. tells me.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:34 AM
SvR350z

I wanted sirius too and the idiots told me they couldnt get it.
So much for ham and egger sales men.
Now I have to fix this mess.
Good to know I was right at least.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Mutt_n_head

I got my 2004 Touring from one dealer, called around and got another dealer to install the tuner for me. The 2004 Tourings w/Bose are ready for Satellite radio from the factory.

It can be either XM or Sirius, both are available. I believe the head unit is a remarked Clarion unit but I could be wrong on that. I think the dealer did the install for about $600, which is pretty damn expensive.

They give you 2 free months of service, at least for Sirius... but what they don't tell you is that you only get a few sample channels with that. Once I added the tuner to my account all was well. Outside of that, the factory head unit has a pretty basic display of title/stream/artist.... I've seen much better on after-market head units.

My original dealer didn't even know that sat radio was even available. Of the 3 dealers I called only ONE even knew it existed and had installed them before. That said they did do pretty clean work on mine.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 PM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by Mutt_n_head
Outside of that, the factory head unit has a pretty basic display of title/stream/artist.... I've seen much better on after-market head units.
So you are saying that your stock stereo displays the stuff, with no added screen? If so that is really cool. Also the option invoice is 347.00 and retails for 400.00. You prolly got charged extra for the labor.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Mutt_n_head

Yes, my stock Bose head unit in my Z does all the Sirius stuff. It does display all the info my other satellite radio units do, just not in an elegant way.

I've installed aftermarket Kenwood tuners in my last car, Eclipse, and have a Clarion head unit with Sirius in my RSX. Those units were a lot cheaper and display the information in better ways. But all in all, having the stock head unit is at least clean looking.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:46 AM
FairladyZ

But all in all, having the stock head unit is at least clean looking.
werd, the best.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:12 PM
air coryell

So the only thing you needed to do was install the sirius antenna and hook that up to the Bose Stereo?

Yes, my stock Bose head unit in my Z does all the Sirius stuff. It does display all the info my other satellite radio units do, just not in an elegant way.

I've installed aftermarket Kenwood tuners in my last car, Eclipse, and have a Clarion head unit with Sirius in my RSX. Those units were a lot cheaper and display the information in better ways. But all in all, having the stock head unit is at least clean looking.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Mutt_n_head

Originally posted by air coryell
So the only thing you needed to do was install the sirius antenna and hook that up to the Bose Stereo?
Actually, you still need the tuner unit to decode the satellite signal. That's what costs about $350 I think, the rest being labor to install it. From other things I've read, I think you can only get the specific model tuner to work with your head unit. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Since the head unit is a remarked Clarion I think the tuner may also be originally Clarion.

One other thing to note, that I didn't talk about earlier was that the install took two days at the dealer. Note the actual work only takes the better part of a day, so you must be wondering. . . why two days then?

Well, I'll tell you. My install was done at Tischer Nissan/Acura in Laurel, MD. They said that they didn't/couldn't keep the tuners in stock. You have to make an appointment, bring your car in, and then they can order it. The part arrives the next day and they do the install and you take your car home.

When they ordered my tuner/antenna kit, they forgot a part and I had to wait an extra day (total of 3 days). But once it was done, it was taken care of. Oh, and another thing, if I haven't said it before. . . they supposedly give you 2 months free. That's not exactly true. The two months they give you is a subset of preview channels Sirius has. It's not access to all the streams available.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:01 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly enough, our Lincoln Navigator with no digital radio equipment of any kind can display radio station, artist and title. Most radio stations these days broadcast this information in the analog stream. I believe it's called RDS. I still want XM for my Z though!