Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Owner impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 03:00 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Owner impressions

That's right. I finally picked up 103411 yesterday! Here are my random thoughts on the Z after my first drives.

1. Stiff chassis. Rides like a sports car. Corners very flat.

2. Gearbox is stiff but very nice shifting. After having a Miata and S2000 I am very pleased with the Z gearbox.

3. CS paint looks good. Very little orange peel. Less than my S2000 had........Be careful with the aluminum hood. Don't press on it to close it. Just drop it from a foot are so and it closes fine. Kinda like the S2000.

4. Love the weighted feel of the power steering. The best I've driven. I drove a friends BMW 5 series with a sport package and sport steering and it feels very similar. Very pleased it isn't over boosted like most cars today.

5. Sound at startup and acceleration is great. Nice growl.

6. Easy to drive fast. Hard to stay under 4K RPM.

7. Not as twitchy as a S2000. Not quite as nimble. Much better steering feel. Easier to drive fast. Happy with my choice.

8. Gets lots of looks or so my friend following me home says.

9. At MSRP hard to beat! I think Nissan has done a great job. They put the money in the right places.

10. Nav. storage is perfect for the cell phone. Interior is nicely done. Love the feel of the switches and guage lighting.

Thanks Richard & Upstate Nissan!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:12 PM
TCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear a comparison from a former S2000 owner.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:40 PM
N74DV

hmmm the Z has an aluminum hood?? I'm not sure it does.... any confirmations on this??
Old 10-30-2002, 06:55 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by N74DV
hmmm the Z has an aluminum hood?? I'm not sure it does.... any confirmations on this??
Indeed, it does.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by N74DV
Yes, aluminum. No mistake.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:50 AM
crewe

Default feel and size compared to Miata?

I'm interested - how is the handling/feel compared to the Miata? I've got a 2002 right now and am drooling over the Z but I love the go-kart feel of the Miata. Also, does the Z feel massively bigger? I'm 5' 4 and 114 lbs (I'm female, btw!) and the Miata is a great size for me - feel very in control driving it. I'm talking about pure size as opposed to power - I also have a 3.5 V8 MGB, so I know about torque/speed (and I like ) But once again, that's a physically small car.

Any views would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:55 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SHOW US YOUR *****

wait, whoops wrong forum.

no ummm I dont think the Z is quite the same as a miata, every one I hear talk about the miata comments on how "fun" it is because its so light; not particularly powerful, but its nimble, just a different kind of fast I guess.

the Z will put you into the seat, it will also handle nicely, but not like a miata.

think of it as a mix between the 2 cars you mentions. if you have any questions about the Z, think middle of the road and your correct, the Z is a very average to above average car in all areas, it has no drawbacks except maybe storage space...

as for size, it actually manages to make you feel small, even tho its not a big car, theres no shortage of room, my mom complains about seeing over the hood and shes about your hight, but she's never really driven it, and she has long legs short torso, so that doesnt help either.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:17 PM
crewe

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

It's great to see you say that the Z might feel like a cross between the Miata and the V8. That's *exactly* what I'm after. For me, those 2 cars are both great and when I'm driving one I miss the other, ie: in the Miata I want the V8's power (and of course that sound...), but in the V8 I totally miss the Miata's nimble handling and gears. And in both, I miss luggage space! They say the Z's luggage capacity is small for a hatchback, but after what I'm used to it's gonna seem like a pick up truck.

I think I could happily live with the feeling of a slightly bigger car. The London streets are full with SUV's (it ain't quite Texas yet, but we're getting there) and having a bit of extra metal between me and that moron on the cell phone will be a nice feeling.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Boomer

Default Re: feel and size compared to Miata?

Originally posted by crewe
I'm interested - how is the handling/feel compared to the Miata? I've got a 2002 right now and am drooling over the Z but I love the go-kart feel of the Miata. Also, does the Z feel massively bigger? I'm 5' 4 and 114 lbs (I'm female, btw!) and the Miata is a great size for me - feel very in control driving it. I'm talking about pure size as opposed to power - I also have a 3.5 V8 MGB, so I know about torque/speed (and I like ) But once again, that's a physically small car.

Welcome, crewe. I'll try to answer some of your questions, I have a Touring model w/5AT, first AT sports car ever. I am 6'5" and 285lbs and I fit by lowering the driver's seat all the way, the steering wheel is tilted all the way up, and the whole seat is back all the way. I think your only problem may be the seat height, it adjusts manually and only the rear of the bottom cushion is adjustable. The seat's power adjustments are fore and aft on the bottom and the same on the seatback. If you can get high enough with the seat bottom adjusted all the way up, you will be all right , I think. If not, the seat may be raised w/spacers, maybe.

The Z drives very well and feels smaller than it is when it is in motion. The turns of the steeing wheel, lock to lock are 2.6 so the steering is very quick and weighted perfectly for me and most of the owners who have commented. It is very well balanced w/53/47 on the fron and rear, respectively. The V6 is a marvel, with over 200 lbs of torque at 1200rpm on the way to peak at 274lbs at 4800rpm.

As for size, it is much larger than your Miata or your MGB at 71.3" wide and 169" long and 51.7" tall. But, it drives much smaller than it is and is very powerful. I think you would like it but is not a gocart like your Miata. If you have more questions I would be happy to answer them for you if I can. I am also referring you to one of our female members who may be able to help you also.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-10-2002 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:02 PM
crewe

Thanks Boomer. I guess the only answer is to try one! Will have to look up a Nissan dealer next time I'm in the US.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Old Skooler

Speaking as one who had a '99 Emerald Mica Green M2 Miata for 4 years, I can tell you the first thing you will miss is your view! The rear view takes some getting used to, and you'll be craning your neck left and right trying to see behind you. Also, (obviously), it's bigger. That makes all those quick lane changes, slices through traffic, and insanely easy parallel parking much more difficult. Since you're a Miata owner, you'll of course notice the difference and that will take some getting used to as well. It's a lot more power, which isn't really intimidating, but due to it's size among other factors, I'm finding I can't really toss it around like you can with the Miata. So..........it's not as fun as the Miata in that respect. BUT, it makes up for it in so many ways. For starters, it's gorgeous, gets tons of looks, is rare, (well there's not too many M2's around here so maybe that's a moot point at least in my area), you won't get crap about it being a "chick car" (umm, I guess that won't apply to you either...), it's got a MUCH better interior than the Miata...blah blah blah.

My recommendation? Upgrade to the Z. I'm glad I did.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:51 PM
ZLuvr

The London streets are full with SUV's (it ain't quite Texas yet, but we're getting there) and having a bit of extra metal between me and that moron on the cell phone will be a nice feeling.
That Tx comment really hurts. Where i live, probably 70% of the vehicles on the road are SUV's, Minivans or Trucks(duallies, etc).

It is sad to hear that london is becoming another suv yuppie town.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:53 PM
WAY

Default Re: feel and size compared to Miata?

You want something that is like a go-kart? Try the new Mini Cooper S. I've got one and it is the most chuckable car I've ever driven. Needs more power though. 350Z will be a different beast altogether I assume. Haven't driven one as they are not yet available in Aust.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:49 AM
crewe

ZLuvr - Sorry about the TX comment, but I spent a few months there last year (Austin) and was amazed by the amount of insanely huge vehicles people feel the need to own. Trucks with 4 door cabs, occupied by 1 little old man. Saw a high number of Miatas zipipng inbetween/underneath them though, which was nice (if a little scary). We have a lot of rich parents in my part of London and they insist on driving their offspring half a mile to school in Range Rovers (or worse). It's impossible to see out of a junction when one of those things is parked at the corner. Drives me nuts.

WAY - We've actually got a Cooper S arriving next month. It is not nearly as chuckable as the Miata though. It's too big and you're too high up for it to feel as go-karty. Although it's still a cool car, esp. for the price, which is why we're getting one. It's replacing my husband's '96 Mini Cooper (orignal baby size one). He needs more space, power and airbags.

Old Skooler - Thanks very much for your comments. They were very helpful. Lots of stuff to think about.

I know the Z (or any car for that matter) is not going to feel like the Miata, but I'm trying to weigh up the benefits in other areas. I was very happy driving my V8 MGB daily for 2 years before I got the Miata. I didn't realise cars could handle as well as the Miata, so I didn't mind how the MG handled. The speed made up for it. I think if I had to chose between handling and pure grunt, I would pick the latter. How lame! It's true though. As much as my Miata makes me smile when I blast through a fast corner, my V8 made my smile any time I turned the key or blipped the throttle. Of course, my ideal car has both, and that's what I'm hoping the Z will offer.