Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Video Capture

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 10:01 PM
BrianZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Video Capture

Okay, for all those asking, I just did a new capture.

Pixels: 720x480
FPS: 29
Bit-Rate: 1Mbps

15 minutes of unedited video (edited will probably be around 11 min) using raw DV format (MPEG2) resulted in a file-size of 3.1GB. That will go down a lot after DIVX compression.

We'll have to work out a distribution method that doesn't bog down Jay's Internet pipe too badly.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:24 PM
alear

Could we peer share the file on Kazaa or similar. Then there is no load on a single server. I leave my dsl connection on all the time anyway so it's okay with me. This would get us through the rush and it could be more permanently posted later when the bandwidth reduces.

For those that aren't familiar kazza is a free file sharing software on a common protocol. When you download something from another user it downloads from all users with the same file so the bandwidth is shared.

I am guessing you can get the file size down to 200-500MB which isn't too bad.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:30 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by alear
Could we peer share the file on Kazaa or similar. Then there is no load on a single server. I leave my dsl connection on all the time anyway so it's okay with me. This would get us through the rush and it could be more permanently posted later when the bandwidth reduces.

For those that aren't familiar kazza is a free file sharing software on a common protocol. When you download something from another user it downloads from all users with the same file so the bandwidth is shared.

I am guessing you can get the file size down to 200-500MB which isn't too bad.
Great Idea. I can put a share on Kazaa up and people can just hammer my DSL connection until it bleeds.

Usenet is another possibility (with appropriate RARing).
Old 06-15-2002, 11:02 PM
RP-350Z

JmanZ,

Just download the Kaza lite version. It's a hacked version, but it isn't spyware unlike the original Kaza. I think that would be a good idea, using kaza to share it, I will leave my DSL connection up and have only that file shared. That 3.1 Gig file will be WAY smaller. You can fit a really high quality 1 hours worth movie onto one 800MB CD. The files should not be larger than 100 - 200mb. Let's keep this free. That's what I think. I mean, we are all in it for the fun. Oh kaza light is at www.kazaalite.com. Laterz
Old 06-15-2002, 11:02 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by JmanZ
Problem with kazaa and other peer to peer software programs like those, is that they open small holes a "good" hacker can get through. Unlikely, but possible. More importantly though, they do install all sorts of spy software in your system that reports your surfing trends, where you go, what you do, the whole thing. Very big brother-ish.

I'm not some paranoid delusional... haha, the justice deptartment servered the company that creates and distributes the download software gator or something like that with papers for this very practice. They got caught and were forced to change things. The software though is dangerous unless you don't mind your system getting bogged down with garabage and others potentially knowing what's on your system and where you surf. Ask anyone that is quite experienced in web stuff and most of them won't touch kazaa for that very reason.

Sucks, cause the whole peer to peer system would be great!

3.1 gigs of video.... after divx will most likely be what... 1.4 gig area... maybe a little larger still?

I myself would suggest breaking it into three 500 megs pieces, burning to cd and then offering the cd's to those that might wish to pay for your time and materials. $5.00 per cd? I know for top quality, dv quality that is... I'd pay $5.00 per cd. Closest thing to real you can get without being there.

Heck, I'd pay $19.99 for the three disc set (you might as well make a dollar for your time)

just a thought

-j-
Thanks for the input. Besides, remember my firewall problem? I'd have to open a pinhole to come through. I don't even know what port Kazaa sits on. I run Kazaa Lite which I *thought* didn't have all that spyware (it certainly doesn't have the adware).

Let's see how big it turns out to be before we plan on CDs.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:31 PM
netviper

Everyone just join #Nissan350z on Efnet for whoever want to get the file. Once it is sent to one person, they could send to another etc.. for 15 min of divx if properly done the file size should be 50 megs or so
Old 06-15-2002, 11:33 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by netviper
Everyone just join #Nissan350z on Efnet for whoever want to get the file. Once it is sent to one person, they could send to another etc.. for 15 min of divx if properly done the file size should be 50 megs or so
"Properly Done" being the key word here.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:45 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by exsilio
Here are soem possible solutions, one is a program I used a long time ago on the mac, but they make a pc version that works just as well.

First off, let's nail those dirty spyware bastards.

Download a copy of "Ad-Aware" from http://www.lavasoft.nu .

They make a pro and a free version, both are great. But what it does is tracks down spyware and kills it dead..when I first ran it, it founs like 80+ pieces

But I zapped them dead. And yes, most of them were Gator...bastages.

Okay and for dowloading there is a program called Hotline. I think they tried to go public..back when .com's thought they could make money. Anyways, the person that has files they want to hosts so others can download is called the Hotline Server. It is VERY easy to setup.

And all those that want to download the info from the hotline server, need a hotline client.

The person running the server just needs to supply the people with clients a user name and password. And give them an IP address to connect to the server. Then they can download whatever you put in yout shared folder. It's really pretty straightforward.

I used to use it all the time to dl HUGE files.

And I think Jay has a great idea, cut the files down to more bite-sized chunks. And then for those that are interested they can message you for the IP, username and password.

LINK TO HOTLINE SERVER

LINK TO HOTLINE CLIENT
Hey exsilio:

The only way you're getting a copy is if you post your d*mn picture!

Sorry. I guess the suspense is just getting to me.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:54 PM
alear

Yes, some of you are paranoid. I suggested kazaa but in reality I should have said kazza lite as recomended because that is what I actually use. I don't want to pay for CD's either.

I also used to be a big fan of hotline but I don't think it is right for this situation because it is a one server issue again among other problems.

Kazaa peer sharing allows you to download from multiple users at the same time. If more people log on you download from them too and if someone logs off you keep on downloading from the other people. And no one server has a bandwidth problem. You can even set a bandwidth limiter.

I use kazaa all the time and it is great. There is no reason to scare people with hacking and spyware. Just use and enjoy.

I would just like to see a good way of distributing this large video quickly and efficiently.

When do you plan on encoding it? And when will we see a distrobution?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:18 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by alear

When do you plan on encoding it? And when will we see a distrobution?
I'm working on it right now.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:41 AM
thewoff

I have a webserver here in my house... I will be glad to host the files for people to download. ... it's DSL, so downloads would be 240kbps.....let me know if interested.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:05 AM
netviper

yea i suggest making a ftp and no worrying about kazaa of someone is willing.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:07 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by thewoff
I have a webserver here in my house... I will be glad to host the files for people to download. ... it's DSL, so downloads would be 240kbps.....let me know if interested.
I might take you up on that. Let me see how big the finished product is.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:21 AM
BrianZ

Okay, for some reason DIVX 5 always list the destination file size of 22GB regardless of compression. I have a feeling the CODEC is just stupid, and that the file is far smaller. I only have 10GB free, so I am in the process of dumping some files to DVD. Since I only have 1x DVD-R disks, it takes about an hour per 4.7GB, so it'll take roughly 3 hours to clear up enough room to start writing.

Thanks for bearing with me!
Old 06-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Zspot

Default FTP Server

I would be willing to setup an FTP share on my server. It's also DSL, but if a few of us set up download sites users will have a choice of the fastest server.

Email me if you are interested
my email is in my profile (i hate leaving it on forums, because I always get spammed from it)
Old 06-16-2002, 03:46 AM
thewoff

BrianZ,

my ftp is ftp://wofford.d2g.com

You can just upload the files to there when you're done if you like.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:19 AM
Zoro

Default How about winmx ?

I'm assuming kaza must be similar to winmx, if a couple people get the file they can offer it to others off there shared directory and in a couple of hours "assuming 768K cable modems or higher" every one would have it. I've only been using it for a couple of days since we've just had cable available for a couple days
Old 06-16-2002, 05:43 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay: If you know, what is the spyware left on your computer when you use KaZaa? I ran my ad-aware and it found mostly the "gain" stuff from Gator. Anyone know if I can delete this stuff and still have Gator run normally? I hate the fact that it puts this crap on your system but I do find Gator very useful and use it all the time. Anyway, after running ad-aware there are only a few other things on there (other than the gator stuff), anyone know what the KaZaa spyware would be called after running ad-aware?

Finally, if you do put the video up on KaZaa, what will it be called so I can search for it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Video Capture