Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Car shut off a 103mph last nite...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:29 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Car shut off a 103mph last nite...

Last night I went racing with this 2004 WRX. this race was uphill and the hill is pretty steep. i was almost at the top when the car suddenly shut down and the power steering turned off too. everything was ok luckily and i won the race by more than i expected. the wrx had exhaust, CAI, and BOV. i can post the vid if someone would host since its like 17.5 mb. anyone else had their ar shut down at high speed? I think its cuz of my popcharger.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Strife350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post the vid!

as for the shut-down... did you recently install the popcharger? if so, that's a likely culprit... to remedy, check the seal between the filter and your intake tube, then reset your ECU
Old 11-13-2004, 08:56 PM
roydiculous

The stalling issue with the popcharger has always been reported as "shifting into neutral at high speed". If you were going WOT and the car stalled, that seems a lot more dangerous.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:54 PM
nitrousoxidex

It was right at the shift from 4th to 5th and i shifted pretty slowly on that one. Maybe that mighta been the prob.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:03 PM
orhanz33

how long have you had the popcharger on your car?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:16 PM
nitrousoxidex

Originally posted by durobred
how long have you had the popcharger on your car?
I had it for like a lil bit more than 3 months.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
autois4pussies

pop charger or not a manual car will shut off at high speeds if left in neutral for too long. In your case you were at a very high speed. If your rpm began to fall suddenly after being at such high rpms then the car will shut off.

i remember back in my country stupid drivers would put their cars in neutral in order to conserve gas when driving in the mountains and going down hill. They would go too fast and for too long in neutral thus the car would shut off and when a windy turn came they couldnt turn enough and it would be all over.

my 2 cents
Old 11-13-2004, 10:41 PM
nitrousoxidex

Originally posted by autois4pussies
pop charger or not a manual car will shut off at high speeds if left in neutral for too long. In your case you were at a very high speed. If your rpm began to fall suddenly after being at such high rpms then the car will shut off.

i remember back in my country stupid drivers would put their cars in neutral in order to conserve gas when driving in the mountains and going down hill. They would go too fast and for too long in neutral thus the car would shut off and when a windy turn came they couldnt turn enough and it would be all over.

my 2 cents
oh sh*t...I usually go downhill in neutral. I even went like 80mph downhill in neutral too. But this is the first time my car shut off and i think its cuz i was pushing the engine hard thats why.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:12 AM
supra crazy

can someone host that video?!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:10 PM
ohw

If you want to save gas, leave it in 6th when going down hill. For newer cars, the momentum will keep the engine running while the injectors are shut off. It takes fuel to keep the car idling while put in neutral.

Are you sure about the part about "...a manual car will shut off at high speeds if left in neutral for too long..."? Never heard that one before, and never experienced it either. Please explain.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Amnbex

Maybe if you're coming down a hill at like 20 and shift into 6th it might stall... but otherwise it shouldn't stall coming down a hill in Neutral.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, someone's gotta explain this one to me. Why in God's name would a manual car stall at high speed in Neutral? Almost no production car has a "ram-air" intake that would sense any higher intake pressure because of forward momentum. That being the case, the engine doesn't care if you're going 15 or 150 MPH. This sounds like bogus info to me.

Incidentally, this frequently reported behavior with the JWTPC is astonishing. The first time someone gets killed because of one of these high-speed stalls due to lost steering ability, goodbye JWT. They'll get their @$$es handed to them in a wrongful death suit. I wouldn't touch the PC with a ten foot pole.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM
nitrousoxidex

Originally posted by kcobean
Ok, someone's gotta explain this one to me. Why in God's name would a manual car stall at high speed in Neutral? Almost no production car has a "ram-air" intake that would sense any higher intake pressure because of forward momentum. That being the case, the engine doesn't care if you're going 15 or 150 MPH. This sounds like bogus info to me.

Incidentally, this frequently reported behavior with the JWTPC is astonishing. The first time someone gets killed because of one of these high-speed stalls due to lost steering ability, goodbye JWT. They'll get their @$$es handed to them in a wrongful death suit. I wouldn't touch the PC with a ten foot pole.
Yeah... I guess it is pretty dangerous installing this Pop Charger. So whats causing this shut down anywayz? Is it because the air/fuel ratio is too off? Cuz with the PC, the air flows so freely and I guess maybe the engine is sucking in too much air because it still thinks it has the stock airbox? This was an uphill race so probably the engine was sucking a lot of air, then I let go of the gas too much while shifting to 5th and there is too much air and not enough fuel to mix. I'm not sure if I'm correct so if someone has another saying, please leave a post.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:12 AM
gundam02

Does this happen with the stock airbox on it? Has this issue happened to anyone that DOES NOT have an intake installed on the car. This is something that is a serious safety issue because if you put the car in neutral on the highway and it dies, you lose power steering and brakes. I am going to put the stock airbox back on my car and test it, but if I can get some corroboration on this it will help out alot. Especially if I have to take the car back to Nissan.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Sully

I could host it if you wanted. Private message me, ill get you the info.

Sully

Last edited by Sully; 11-15-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:08 AM
mofoz

nothing like this has happened to me with my injen, and i leave it in neutral at high speeds constantly.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
mpol99

I have had my car (stock airbox) do this after driving the car hard (even 2 & 3rd gears). It would NOT die, but the rpms would drop very low & it would shake like it is almost about to die, then the rpms would go back up to normal.

This was happening regularly with a stock box & K&N filter (although I've had the K&N for almost a year and a half).

After my last oil change, the Nissan Tech drove my car around (to diagnose the rear axle clicking, which these dickwads didn't fix for the 2ND time now) & must have fixed it.

After that dealership visit, the problem hasn't come back (knock on wood).
Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 PM
xzbum

Originally posted by nitrousoxidex
oh sh*t...I usually go downhill in neutral. I even went like 80mph downhill in neutral too. But this is the first time my car shut off and i think its cuz i was pushing the engine hard thats why.

you're gonna kill yourself dude... don't ever go downhill in neutral. use engine brake to support ur foot brake system.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:50 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Not specifically Z related but in my experience, a car that stalls right after, say , running on the freeway and coasting down the on ramp, is caused by a vacuum leak.

With the Z it's probably not a vacuum leak because the cars are new but the affect of to much air and not enough fuel could be caused by turbulent air across the MAF, how the fly by wire throttle shuts itself down or how the computer reacts to this high speed to coast condition.

I have an Injen CIA and have had no problems.

Chris
Old 11-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAI on the wrx?

Did you mis-shift?

Quick Reply: Car shut off a 103mph last nite...