Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Those of you with clearbras

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:27 AM
tiesto81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with clearbras

I just found out the track i'm getting, has this factory installed (they're trading with another dealership to get it so it's not here yet). The guy didn't know this when they were trading, but said that he'd split the cost with me...invoice of it is 135, so i'd only be paying 67.50 for it.

Is this thing worth it or am I going to want them to take it off? I'm really concerned that it's noticeable...is it?

Also, can I wax it like I would the car normally? I've heard recommendations to have this just due to the paint chipping up front (it's a black Z). If it's worth it, not noticeable, and waxable, then hell - maybe the 67 bucks isn't too bad. Dealer assured me that it's not noticeable...Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
mirage2130

Wow, 67 bucks is not bad at all. I paid about $500 for mine...not through the dealer. I love it. You can see it a little bit depending on how well it was installed. Mostly, you'll notice a faint seem running across the hood.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

It is BY FAR the BEST mod on my 350!

And uhhm yeah... $67 Better make sure it's not 'saran-wrap'!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
wildone_106

You cant tell its there unless you know it is, on my SB its invisable, worth it..
Old 11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
nashjam

it's worth every penny...I wish I would have put one on right after delivery, but I waited a couple of weeks I definitely have some regrets due to some rock chips.

After I had mine put on, I went to different shop to have my windows tinted. The second shop also did the clearbra. They didn't even notice I had it on until I said something...Point being, even the trained eye doesn't notice unless you're actually looking for it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
tiesto81

I doubt the clearbras supplied by dealers are the high quality 3m one...Any idea on whether non 3m clearbras are pretty decent as well?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:38 PM
barclayloftus

The dealer i got mine from (er. well the dealer that my dealer got it from) put on the 3M on mine the day I purchased it. They also only charged cost.

Have to say, they did a real nice job. I'm very pleased. Can't see it at all, until you really look for it.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
1000HP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who think clear bras are such a great value, would you care to explain why? I'm considering buying one but i'm afraid it might be a waste of money.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:57 PM
The Liu Man

1000HP,

Do you like rock chips on your front end? If not and you'd like to protect your most vulnerable painted area on your Z, then go for clearbra.

Don't put the hood part on. Only get front bumper and side mirrors and headlights. You won't notice it at all.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
nashjam

Originally posted by 1000HP
For those of you who think clear bras are such a great value, would you care to explain why? I'm considering buying one but i'm afraid it might be a waste of money.
having a clear bra is the best way to protect your front end, especially the forward part of your hood from rock chips. It seems that the way the front end is designed (the angle of the hood) makes it very suseptable to rock chips. Check some threads on others with the clear bra. I've read replies where people say their front end looks like it's been sand blasted with all the rock chips.

Some people go have gone with the Colgan Bra aka the removable black leather/ vinyl bras. There are problems associated with having these kind if you're not familiar with them. With this type of bra you must take it off whenever you wash it or it rains etc. If you don't the moisture under the bra will cause your paint to cloud up. Also there is a risk of paint scratching from rocks and debris getting trapped between the bra and hood.

IMO the clear bra is the best of the two because it's not noticable, nor do you have the risks of paint clouding or scratching. A side note is that you can wax or polish the clear bra without damaging it.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
SvR350z

The clear bra is the best mod for a car in years.
Im not joking. I got one on my silverstone and I had a guy look at my car that had never heard of clear bras before and he to this minute still swears there is nothing on my car.
I have a line across the hood and thats it.
My installer done a great job on the install.
Its the first mod i made to my 350 and its worth every single penny.
Get brA!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
1000HP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thanks for those replies. Does the clear bra protect from tiny bumper hits from other cars, or from tapping a car while parallel parking?

I live in Chicago and always get scratches on my front bumper from taxis, ignorant people brushing on my car.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by The Liu Man
1000HP,

Do you like rock chips on your front end? If not and you'd like to protect your most vulnerable painted area on your Z, then go for clearbra.

Don't put the hood part on. Only get front bumper and side mirrors and headlights. You won't notice it at all.
Totally agree...you don't need it on the hood, just the front plastic bumper and headlights. You won't notice at all...wish I'd gotten it put on before I got these stupid scratches!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
tiesto81

How hard is it to remove? I may end up having just the hood portion removed if it's too revealing (i'd have to see it in person honestly). I'm sure I could get a dealer to remove that.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Skrill

If you track your car -- and you care how it looks when it's not at the track -- it's awesome.

I took my car to two days at Buttonwillow. I had rubber all over the front end of my car (thrown up by the guys on R-comps that I was realing in).

Having the clear bra makes getting all the garbage off the front super easy. And it also greatly decreases the portion of the car that I have to tape up. I will post some pics of what my car looked like at the track.

BTW -- I cannot imagine that any clearbra that cost less than $150 is worth a damn. Mine was over $600. The film alone would cost more than $150 at dealer cost. My bet is -- what you are getting is just some sort of dealer-installed paint protection (i.e., a coat of wax).

Last edited by Skrill; 11-18-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
taurran

Is it worth buying if you already have some rock chips? I'm thinking whats the point in covering up the chips you already have... I'm not sure weather I should get it or not seeing as how it will have to be repainted eventually. THEN I could see putting one on...
Old 11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
daytonablueadam

What did everyone pay for theirs? I've seen a lot of different prices.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
nashjam

Originally posted by daytonablueadam
What did everyone pay for theirs? I've seen a lot of different prices.
I paid $300 for mine...that included the front, front of hood, and mirrors. And I had mine installed after I had experienced some chipping. I first bought some touch up paint from the dealer. If you touch it up right, and have the clear bra installed you can barely tell you have had chips to begin with.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by nashjam
I paid $300 for mine...that included the front, front of hood, and mirrors. And I had mine installed after I had experienced some chipping. I first bought some touch up paint from the dealer. If you touch it up right, and have the clear bra installed you can barely tell you have had chips to begin with.
Mine was $600 for a custome setup. Full front including headlights, bumper and first 24" of hood (as wells as fenders to that same area -- basically the end of the headlight), side mirrors, a-pillars, leading edge of roof, and the areas just behind the wheel wells (I elected to not get splash gaurds -- and I need the film to keep the rubber off my fenders at the track).

The most important thing is to get a very good installer. I reviewed my installers work and he was recommended by several people. And you get what you pay for the most part.

As for the film itself. Most of it is 3M stuff that is just rebadged as ClearBra, StarShield, StoneGaurd, whatever. It's good stuff. I have Venture films (which is a competitor to 3M) which offers the same protection but tends to resist yellowing over time (but that does not matter much on my car I suppose). I have heard bad things about the Lumar film. So I would stick with 3M or Venture. If you go 3M -- see if you installer will use the aerospace stuff (for plane wings and such). It is better quality than the Scotchcal -- which is still good, but not as resistant to yellowing and less pliable.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
The Liu Man

I have on Avery brand film. Supposively better than 3M in a couple ways like yellowing, etc.

Heh, installer said these clearbras are rated at Mach 1 or 3 speeds. So I figured these things can stop a bullet. Someone should really try this sometimes...

Quick Reply: Those of you with clearbras