Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Heater Problem, yeah you got it too!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:52 AM
zzz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Problem, yeah you got it too!

I have a 2003 Z, it has one fuct up heating and A/c control problem. Whenever I turn on the heater, the system automatically switches to pulling in outside air. The only way to have it get recyled air from inside the car is to have to have the A/C running. For some strange reason, driving a car in SF traffic with outside air is like sucking on a tailpipe. Is there some way to override the system, to allow for recycled air without having the A/C running. The same thing holds true for use of the defroster.
Maybe it is just me, but carbon monoxide poisoning can really ruin your day (not to mention your health).
Old 11-23-2004, 04:15 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason the A/C compressor runs when you're recycling air is because recycled air picks up humidity in a closed system. If the A/C didn't run, your windows would fog up. The A/C is acting purely as a dehumidifier in this scenario.

I don't think there is a way to override it, but it is definitely by design.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:44 AM
roydiculous

I was trying to figure out the same thing. Was driving me nuts! But I will buy that explanation.. seems logical to me.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:57 AM
tmsjz

Japanese cars have had heating systems with recycled air for the last 20 years. NO WAY is the a/c supposed to always run in the recycle mode. The only recent change to these systems is if you have any type of defrost mode on the recirc function goes off and the a/c comes on. Thats meant to dehumidify the outside (more HUMID air). Check your manual or see the dealer.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 AM
dnguyent

I hate this climate control system. I miss the cheapo manual systems that I've had with all my older cars. I used to manually turn on the AC to dehumidify the air when I really need it, but to run it full time in the winter is just ridiculous.

Aside from traction control (which I also despise), the I'm really glad that the Z doesn't have a whole lot of other "luxury" accessories that "think" for us.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Shahrum

Originally posted by dnguyent
I hate this climate control system. I miss the cheapo manual systems that I've had with all my older cars. I used to manually turn on the AC to dehumidify the air when I really need it, but to run it full time in the winter is just ridiculous.

Aside from traction control (which I also despise), the I'm really glad that the Z doesn't have a whole lot of other "luxury" accessories that "think" for us.
Like the VDC too... Hey, thank God for off-switches!!

My first car (and previous car to the Z) was a 1999 Ford Mustang so I totally understand what you mean by missing the cheapo manual controls
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM
maxpowers

I'm pretty sure the design was intentional. At least in my old BMW you could turn the A/C off after it turned on automatically.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:57 AM
ANXIOUZ

Of course it's by design. From what I know (not much) the entire climate control system is designed so that all you really need to mess with is the temp dial. In order to get recycled air, you may need to use A/C but if you crank up the temp, you won't freeze yourself. Sure it's lame to use the A/C when you don't want to, but the theory of only using the temp dial to adjust comfort seems to be the design.

In the Ford SUV's (plural) that I've owned, the climate control system was all kinds of weird. For one, there was ALWAYS some outside air coming into the cockpit (to prevent foggy windows?). So even if you had all air turned off....you would still smell the exhaust of the car in front of you. And even using recycled air (A/C only) you would still get outside air coming in. Man, it's the most retarded thing I've seen in a vehicle since having the rear stabilizer visible through the back window. (j/k )
Old 11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
zzz350

Well thanks for the comments. Maybe someone out there still has an idea what to do. Having to run the A/C compressor to use the heater (not defroster) with only cabin air is totally retarded. Sometimes I really think that Nissan is a great innovator but many times I have to wonder how much sake is being drunk on lunch hours in the engineering department.

The funny thing is, I also own a 2000 Maxima and it lets you choose if you want inside or outside air while running the heater (not defroster). I guess the old saying of "don't fix it if it ain't broken" doesn't apply in the Land of the Rising Sun.

It just makes me go mad that such a simple thing has to cause so much grief, not to mention so much damage to your health.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by zzz350
Well thanks for the comments. Maybe someone out there still has an idea what to do. Having to run the A/C compressor to use the heater (not defroster) with only cabin air is totally retarded. Sometimes I really think that Nissan is a great innovator but many times I have to wonder how much sake is being drunk on lunch hours in the engineering department.

The funny thing is, I also own a 2000 Maxima and it lets you choose if you want inside or outside air while running the heater (not defroster). I guess the old saying of "don't fix it if it ain't broken" doesn't apply in the Land of the Rising Sun.

It just makes me go mad that such a simple thing has to cause so much grief, not to mention so much damage to your health.
turning on the A/C switch in any car doesn't necessarily mean the compressor is working full time, remember your older car? If you turned the A/C thermostat to slightly cool, the compressor turned on and off.

In the Z, the system should only use the compressor as much as needed.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 AM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah those jappernese are idiots, just sittin' there all ready fer bein sued, cuz their cars cause so much health damage
Old 11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
zzz350

That's a very good point, Monk, but doesn't the compressor have to running in order for the dehumidifier to be performing it's duty?

Health issue: absolutely a problem where I have to often drive. Lawsuit: doubtful, however I never mentioned that, that's your baby.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:46 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very good point, Monk, but doesn't the compressor have to running in order for the dehumidifier to be performing it's duty?
Uh...yes, it does. That's how the moisture gets removed from the air. When you compress the air, you compress the moisture in it so that it turns from a gas (vapor) into a liquid so that it can be drained out of the compressor.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:29 AM
zzz350

I think that has reasonably been established (actually I knew that before I started the thread. REread the original post and then you'll actually see the issue being addressed.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:47 PM
MrLoutish

Aside from the "proper" functioning of the heating/cooling system which can be debated, how often do you need to run the heater in SF?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:02 PM
ktm
Banned

Uh, maybe I am missing something, but your climate control system can be manual. If you want recycled air, push the damn button to switch between outside and inside air.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:26 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by ktm
Uh, maybe I am missing something, but your climate control system can be manual. If you want recycled air, push the damn button to switch between outside and inside air.
Unfortunately, no. The system in the Z is programmed to automatically turn on the A/C if you set it to recirc mode. There's no way to prevent it without getting in there and hacking the brains of the climate control system.

This is similar to my gripe with the Z. I do not like cars that are always turning on the A/C for you. Set it to recirc: a/c turns on. Set fan speed to auto: a/c turns on. Set the air flow to go through the defroster vents: a/c turns on. I understand the reasoning (the dehumidifying properties of the a/c), but I wish there was a way to make it not be so aggressive with the A/C. My Audi enabled the a/c for some things, but not so aggressively as the Z does.

I'm with dnguyent on this one. I miss the fully manual systems... or at least systems that don't think so much for you.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:32 PM
bascelik

ditto
Old 11-25-2004, 05:53 AM
uro279

You can turn off the A/C during recirc, just depends what setting your on.

However, as for me, I like the A/C running to dehumidy.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 AM
uro279

Excuse my post above. I was confused. When I hit recirc, it auto turns on A/C.

However, it still doens't bother me.

Quick Reply: Heater Problem, yeah you got it too!