Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

When is the 350 going to get the 3.7 engine???????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:27 PM
tomiegunzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwiker
^^^I wasn't joking, i'm serious. Just bump the compression up to 11:1 or so, all motor baby. Or we could do 8:1 and run 16lbs of boost...would need 345's out back from the factory...insurance would kill me though...if the car didn't first.
No traction till 5th. I wish.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by kwiker
^^^I wasn't joking, i'm serious. Just bump the compression up to 11:1 or so, all motor baby. Or we could do 8:1 and run 16lbs of boost...would need 345's out back from the factory...insurance would kill me though...if the car didn't first.
If you're serious, you must only wanna drag, then, b/c the engine would need a re-design to make it light enough not to completely screw up the handling if you ever took a trip out to the twisties. Remember, our cars aren't lightweight to begin with, like the plastique vettes which can compensate for a heavier engine, and that the Titan engine isn't a lightweight variant, like what BMW is doing w/the new V8 M3. I agree, though, that FI'd up, you'd have the makings of a car fit for NHRA.

All that said, as far as the chances of a V-8 Z anytime through the end of the next generation--not a chance. While we're dreaming, how about a titanium block 5.5 L TT'd V8, all carbon fiber body panels, with a carbon fiber hardtop 'vert avail., both for under $40k, optioned out??
Old 04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Joey P

Yeah, that was my bad, I looked at it for a while, and it looked like 3.5, but it said 3.8. Oops
Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 AM
PrinceFemi

Honestly, I don’t think Nissan should put the 3.7 or 3.8 HR motor in the next generation Z. The Infiniti is a bigger car and needs more power to keep pace with its competitors. I think on the redesign of the Z, Nissan should focus on reducing weight, improving handling, and improving the interior quality. In fact I don’t think there should be a drastic exterior design change either. The Z still looks as fresh as anything out there today.

I think the 3.5 HR has enough power, can be tuned for more power as needed to keep pace with the competition and if need be can be boosted to get ahead of the competition. The 2007 350Z is already solid sports car that posts Porsche Cayman S numbers on the track. The Cayman S is considered one of the fastest cars in the class and costs almost double the Z ($60,000). A little bit of fat trimmed off of the Z and we would have without a doubt a class leading sports car in performance, handling, looks, and fuel economy.

IMO shoving a bigger engine in a car to get more performance is the lazy approach. When do you draw the line? A true sports car uses a small potent/responsive engine to power a well-balanced, light, rigid chassis that handle predictably. If you keep making the engine bigger, then you might as well concede that you are making muscle cars not sports cars.

The 350Z has built a reputation for itself; it’s already an icon with the younger generation. Continuing the 350Z story, perfecting the brand they have already established, is the direction I think Nissan should go. Increasing the motor size, changing the name of the vehicle every time they design a new engine, and drastic exterior design changes does nothing to build the image or reputation of a car.

I don’t know about anyone else but in my opinion there were too many different variants of the Z car before they got to the 300ZX. It was simply confusing. Every time you change the name by putting a bigger motor in a car you make its predecessor insignificant. The only thing people should think when they see a 350Z coming is "fast car coming, get the hell out of the way". They should not be thinking, "oh that car is outdated, there is a 370Z, 380Z, 390Z …blah blah blah". Constant displacement increase and name changes tarnish the mystique of a car.

The power generated from the 3.5 liter HR motor should be enough to create fantastic sports of the future for Nissan continuing the legend of the 350Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 AM
gohandbz88

The location of the oil dipstick is much better on the 3.8 nismo engine.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by PrinceFemi
Honestly, I don’t think Nissan should put the 3.7 or 3.8 HR motor in the next generation Z. The Infiniti is a bigger car and needs more power to keep pace with its competitors. I think on the redesign of the Z, Nissan should focus on reducing weight, improving handling, and improving the interior quality. In fact I don’t think there should be a drastic exterior design change either. The Z still looks as fresh as anything out there today.

I think the 3.5 HR has enough power, can be tuned for more power as needed to keep pace with the competition and if need be can be boosted to get ahead of the competition. The 2007 350Z is already solid sports car that posts Porsche Cayman S numbers on the track. The Cayman S is considered one of the fastest cars in the class and costs almost double the Z ($60,000). A little bit of fat trimmed off of the Z and we would have without a doubt a class leading sports car in performance, handling, looks, and fuel economy.

IMO shoving a bigger engine in a car to get more performance is the lazy approach. When do you draw the line? A true sports car uses a small potent/responsive engine to power a well-balanced, light, rigid chassis that handle predictably. If you keep making the engine bigger, then you might as well concede that you are making muscle cars not sports cars.

The 350Z has built a reputation for itself; it’s already an icon with the younger generation. Continuing the 350Z story, perfecting the brand they have already established, is the direction I think Nissan should go. Increasing the motor size, changing the name of the vehicle every time they design a new engine, and drastic exterior design changes does nothing to build the image or reputation of a car.

I don’t know about anyone else but in my opinion there were too many different variants of the Z car before they got to the 300ZX. It was simply confusing. Every time you change the name by putting a bigger motor in a car you make its predecessor insignificant. The only thing people should think when they see a 350Z coming is "fast car coming, get the hell out of the way". They should not be thinking, "oh that car is outdated, there is a 370Z, 380Z, 390Z …blah blah blah". Constant displacement increase and name changes tarnish the mystique of a car.

The power generated from the 3.5 liter HR motor should be enough to create fantastic sports of the future for Nissan continuing the legend of the 350Z.
Welcome to how the market works. People expect that a newer car model is gonna have the newest technology and bigger horsepower than before. People want the biggest bang for their buck. Nissan also has to keep up with the other car distributors upgrading the engines every year.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by gohandbz88
The location of the oil dipstick is much better on the 3.8 nismo engine.
+1 its in the same spot as the 07 Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by 911nut
Tried a search and found nothing, sorry if this has been dicussed already. Back to the original question, why wouldn't they have put the 3.7 in the Z this year?
The 350 will probably never see the 3.7L motor... It will be the 370 by then...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
SnakeBitten

The 2007 350Z is already solid sports car that posts Porsche Cayman S numbers on the track.
Link????Proof???Thats a serious statement considering the last comparo between the two had the Cayman S beating the 06 Z by 3 seconds at VIR 4 mile track....What did Nissan do to the car in 07 that can make up that difference???
Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 PM
PrinceFemi

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
Welcome to how the market works. People expect that a newer car model is gonna have the newest technology and bigger horsepower than before. People want the biggest bang for their buck. Nissan also has to keep up with the other car distributors upgrading the engines every year.
There is nothing wrong with upgrading your engine. As a matter of fact if you don't upgrade your competitors will leave you in the dust. If I were Nissan instead of using the displacement to name the car I would just call the nissan car a "Z". This way you build an image, mystique, and reputation that is not tarnished everytime you cram a bigger motor into the engine bay. I would also stick with an engine that works untill I have milked out all of its performance potential. Instead of coming up with a bigger engine every year, which seems to be the developing trend, and which I dont think is wise.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM
tomiegunzz

There is nothing wrong with upgrading your engine. As a matter of fact if you don't upgrade your competitors will leave you in the dust. If I were Nissan instead of using the displacement to name the car I would just call the nissan car a "Z". This way you build an image, mystique, and reputation that is not tarnished everytime you cram a bigger motor into the engine bay. I would also stick with an engine that works untill I have milked out all of its performance potential. Instead of coming up with a bigger engine every year, which seems to be the developing trend, and which I dont think is wise.
+1 I think Nissan/Infiniti are already on this. Look at all the new Infiniti commercials. They all refer to the new g as "THE G." They prob gona do the same for the Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:00 PM
pimp1911

They are. Take a look at nissanusa website. 350Z isnt used anymore. Just Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimp1911
The car itself is still badged a 350z however.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:04 AM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by Armitage
The car itself is still badged a 350z however.
Yea, they prob gon still keep badging it so people will know what displacement it has but they will refer to it as the Z.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Icedoutpenguin

"oh that car is outdated, there is a 370Z, 380Z, 390Z …blah blah blah". Constant displacement increase and name changes tarnish the mystique of a car.
Never seemed to hurt us before. You do know the Z has history correct?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
TheGest

agreed
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Hypnoz

Completely disagree. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with a larger, more power motor as long as the car's overall balance is maintained. Your arguement is not very strong. Look at a corvette. 400hp and it is a very balanced car.

The VQ35HR is enough for now, but the redesign should bump up the hp to 350+ AND maintain engine refinement, weight distribution, overall weight, etc. They need to just name the car Z and leave it at that. That solves your naming issue.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Link????Proof???Thats a serious statement considering the last comparo between the two had the Cayman S beating the 06 Z by 3 seconds at VIR 4 mile track....What did Nissan do to the car in 07 that can make up that difference???

Best Motoring did the test and the 07 Z beat the S2k and Cayman S by like 4 seconds in the salom tests and other road tests.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimp1911
Your right...and look at this whois look up for 370z.com

The information in this whois database is provided for the sole
purpose of assisting you in obtaining information about domain
name registration records. This information is available "as is,"
and we do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois
query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data
to: (1) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that
stress or load this whois database system providing you this
information; or (2) allow,enable, or otherwise support the
transmission of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations via facsimile, electronic mail, or by telephone to
entitites other than your own existing customers. The
compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data
is expressly prohibited without prior written consent from this
company. We reserve the right to modify these terms at any
time. By submitting an inquiry, you agree to these terms of usage
and limitations of warranty. Please limit your queries to 10 per
minute and one connection.

Registrant:
GFoS Inc.
2210 S. Escondido Blvd
Escondido, CA 92025
US

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT
Domain Name: 370Z.COM
Created on: 12-APR-06
Expires on: 12-APR-08
Last Updated on: 23-MAR-07

Administrative, Technical Contact:
, gfos@gfos.net
GFoS Inc.
2210 S. Escondido Blvd
Escondido, CA 92025
US

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM
NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM

End of Whois Information

Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 AM
arma

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Completely disagree. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with a larger, more power motor as long as the car's overall balance is maintained. Your arguement is not very strong. Look at a corvette. 400hp and it is a very balanced car.

The VQ35HR is enough for now, but the redesign should bump up the hp to 350+ AND maintain engine refinement, weight distribution, overall weight, etc. They need to just name the car Z and leave it at that. That solves your naming issue.
yep - z06 - 505hp

Quick Reply: When is the 350 going to get the 3.7 engine???????????