Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

next Z with twin-clutch / paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 PM
typespirit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next Z with twin-clutch / paddle shifters?

it seems like the new generation sport cars all have the option of having twin clutch / paddle shifters making it a semi-automatic. the evolution X MR edition gets it, the GTR comes standard with it. it is very possible that next gen Z car will also have the option of getting it. personally i'd much prefer to have one, although i can drive a manual car, it is definitely annoying when one is stuck in traffic and for those who might work / live in the city, definitely not a pleasant trip. what do you think?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 PM
aznriceball2

i think they should put the GTR engine in the z, keep it manual, bring back redline and call it a day.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
black06z

a 6 or 7 speed DSG would be nice.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Jspeed

Replacing the slushie with a twin-clutch would certainly be a great move, as long as a traditional manual is still available.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:58 AM
VQZ33_Jake

mmm paddle shifters...ever seen the transporter 2? hes in the murcielago paddle shifting his way through a cop chase,
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
99BlackMaxMS

I think that it would be cool, but I am still a big fan of a stickshift. I think that the 6spd essentially makes the Z.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
ghoover

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I think that it would be cool, but I am still a big fan of a stickshift. I think that the 6spd essentially makes the Z.
Same here. I realize that the better paddle shifters are probably a LOT more efficient at getting from gear to gear than I am, but I just like to be able to select gears the old fashioned way.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sequential gearbox would be nice

Anyway... Can someone explain to me how you drive a paddle-shifter? Do you drive it like an auto? Or what? What's the deal?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
typespirit

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Sequential gearbox would be nice

Anyway... Can someone explain to me how you drive a paddle-shifter? Do you drive it like an auto? Or what? What's the deal?
its driven like an auto in the sense that there is no clutch. u dont even need to off-gas when u shift. whenever u want to shift gears u just use ur fingers and tug the paddle towards you. tugging the left paddle two times continuously allows you to downshift from say gear 4, to 2. etc.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Category5

Originally Posted by typespirit
its driven like an auto in the sense that there is no clutch. u dont even need to off-gas when u shift. whenever u want to shift gears u just use ur fingers and tug the paddle towards you. tugging the left paddle two times continuously allows you to downshift from say gear 4, to 2. etc.
Two things: 1) paddle-shifters mean nothing. A 2003 Pontiac Grand-Prix has paddle-shifters. It's still an auto-matic (torque-converter), 2) The new dual-clutch semi-auto trannies(GTR) actually have TWO clutches, and shift faster than a manual, and have faster 0-60 times (unlike Porsche's Tiptronic-automatic, which is slower than a manual).

I've driven manuals since 1974, and love them, but my next car will have a dual-clutch tranny.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
06Gcoupin

Originally Posted by Category5
Two things: 1) paddle-shifters mean nothing. A 2003 Pontiac Grand-Prix has paddle-shifters. It's still an auto-matic (torque-converter), 2) The new dual-clutch semi-auto trannies(GTR) actually have TWO clutches, and shift faster than a manual, and have faster 0-60 times (unlike Porsche's Tiptronic-automatic, which is slower than a manual).

I've driven manuals since 1974, and love them, but my next car will have a dual-clutch tranny.
WRONG.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...turesandspecs/
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes this is probably a reality with the paddle shifters and twin clutches....soo will the price. I would expect the next generation of Z car to be in the 35K range & upwards, depending on model(s) offered and features.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Yes this is probably a reality with the paddle shifters and twin clutches....soo will the price. I would expect the next generation of Z car to be in the 35K range & upwards, depending on model(s) offered and features.
I fully expect some version of Nissan's keyless system to be standard.

Hopefully the auto-shift capable, twin-clutch, paddle shifting transmission will be the "big surprise" that everyone is alluding to. And hopefully the paddle shifters will be attached to the steering wheel (are they on the GTR?) and not the steering column. Nothing like being mid-turn with hands at 12/6 and needing to downshift...

As for affecting price, I imagine that the equivalent to the Touring will have this as an option, meaning not available on the base model. That's how they get you. Unless they offer another track version...

Last edited by in.the.dark; 01-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
zigzagz94

246R

FTW

Paddle Shifters are a marketing gimmick. The majority of people I know with dual-clutch transmissions leave them in auto mode 95% of the time. I actually like driving the machine as opposed to the machine driving me, therefore I will always have a true stickshift with 3 pedals.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my 6 speed.... but let’s say it is 5 - 6 pm you are stuck in traffic after a nasty day @ work.... would it be nice to have a dsg do the shifting for you? also , I have a big foot, so heel-toe is not working for me , so i would very much benefit from a smart dsg that can rev-match my downshifts...

once again, I love that my z has 3 pedal and a shift stick, but I guess I am starting to get old as well as I believe in technology being faster and better.

so DSG FTMFW !
Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by zigzagz94
246R

FTW

Paddle Shifters are a marketing gimmick. The majority of people I know with dual-clutch transmissions leave them in auto mode 95% of the time. I actually like driving the machine as opposed to the machine driving me, therefore I will always have a true stickshift with 3 pedals.
While your enthusiasm is understood, driving a dual-clutch still means being in tune with the car. I have only ever owned traditional manuals, but have driven several different dual clutch setups as well. Driving them still requires you to keep track of the RPMs, listen to the engine wind up and execute the shifts. Paddle shifters may be a marketing gimmick on manual shifting autos, but on auto shifting manuals it means faster lap times, and the ability to allow the computer to shift it (auto mode) is an added benifit that many will enjoy in traffic on their daily driven car.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by Tac-M
love my 6 speed.... but let’s say it is 5 - 6 pm you are stuck in traffic after a nasty day @ work.... would it be nice to have a dsg do the shifting for you? also , I have a big foot, so heel-toe is not working for me , so i would very much benefit from a smart dsg that can rev-match my downshifts...

once again, I love that my z has 3 pedal and a shift stick, but I guess I am starting to get old as well as I believe in technology being faster and better.

so DSG FTMFW !
If you are having trouble with the ol' heel-toe action due to sasquatchian feet, use the ball of your foot to push the break pedal and then rotate the right side of your foot to rev match with the gas. I actually find this easier than twisting my leg to do the traditional tap dance.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^During brief drives, F1 style transmissions seem like so much fun, but after you live with the car for awhile, the fun wears off and you long for a manual.

Keeping track of RPMs and what gear you're in can be hassle. Whereas it's somewhat intuitive with a traditional manual, you really have to pay attention to what gear you're in with an automated clutch transmission.

These transmissions are superior at the track though. And I'll admit, that even though I'll always buy a manual given the choice, an automatic, or automatic like system really is nice to have at times. With that said, if you have another manual transmission car to drive, then go ahead and get the dual clutch tranny. If this is you're only car, then get the traditional manual IMO.

Last edited by Sensi09; 01-29-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and just to clarify, you only need to take your foot of the gas on systems like SMG to smooth things out. With a dual clutch system, you can leave your foot on the gas while shifting and still have everything be super smooth.

The Porsche tiptronic is only faster on the Turbo as it allows the car to stay spooled up. Other than that, it's like any other automatic, which when driven aggressively, can often be in the wrong gear, get confused and downshift erratically.

Quick Reply: next Z with twin-clutch / paddle shifters?