Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Had a chat with a Nissan designer today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 AM
ghoover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That overlay is cool! But I think the front wheel should be pinned rather than the rear.

I expect them to maintain the front suspension, engine, transmission, front seating position etc. from the G37 but cut out 4-6 inches of the longitudinal frame rails behind the driver (and then use shared rear components with the G37.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:06 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno about you guys, but I believe the person who actually helped design the 350z, and he told me that we won't see a new Z till 2011 model year, 2010 you can buy.

No changes are expected to the current 350z till then. It was put on hold till the GT-R gets released.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
ghoover

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Dunno about you guys, but I believe the person who actually helped design the 350z, and he told me that we won't see a new Z till 2011 model year, 2010 you can buy.

No changes are expected to the current 350z till then. It was put on hold till the GT-R gets released.
That may be the case, but I'm always skeptical when a factory rep tells me to not expect changes soon.

They don't want people to say: "I won't buy one now because I want to wait for the new model coming out."

That may not be the case here, but I've seen MANY statements of: "Don't expect changes soon." just prior to new model introductions over the years.

I think if they don't, at a MINIMUM offer the the 330 HP engine in the 2009 model, we're going to see 350Z sales dwindle dramatically over the next few years.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM
CSTrack

I concur with SOLO-350Z. There have already been many auto publications stating the delay of the next Z. 2009 models should be out by next Fall, so I would assume an Auto Show unveiling sometime next year with the car actually being sold in Japan soon after while we get the Fall of 2010 (as a 2011 model). Unfortunately, we're all just going to have to wait.

In the meantime, it won't be bad seeing the GT-R rape the world's supercars paving the way for it's little 'bro' to step on the scene
Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
5iVe

So we're supposed to believe your "350z designer" over the one that said it will debut at an Auto show this year as an 09 model?

I know which one I want to believe...

The model is due for a change. If it comes out in 09 then it will have had a 6 year run... if they hold off until 2011, well that's a long 8 year run. I don't have any numbers in front of me but how many cars have 8 year runs? Or maybe we should just look at sports cars.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by 5iVe
So we're supposed to believe your "350z designer" over the one that said it will debut at an Auto show this year as an 09 model?

The model is due for a change. If it comes out in 09 then it will have had a 6 year run... if they hold off until 2011, well that's a long 8 year run. I don't have any numbers in front of me but how many cars have 8 year runs? Or maybe we should just look at sports cars.
Look at the Corvette:
C4 = 1988 to 1996 = 8 yr. run
C5 = 1997 to 2004 = 7 yr. run
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Yea he is big into the Z scene and Nissan gave him a NISMO car but he turned it down to be given away at the ZCCA Convention in Florida. He still works for Nissan.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM
fklentz

I'll be at the auto show in San Diego next week, wonder what I'll see there?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
black06z

I don't see how an all-new 09 Z will hurt GT-R sales. The GT-R is an exclusive model that's in limited production. Not too many will touch dealership showrooms & waiting lists are in effect on top of that. The GT-R maybe the flagship of Nissan's line-up, but the Z is Nissan's baby that really put them at the top of the competition. It would be pretty stupid for Nissan to wait another 3-4 years for the next Z and keep making the same car untouched while other companies will be releasing models in the near future that will certainly compete head-to-head with it or probably surpass every aspect of it.

At the very least, I see Nissan putting out a concept of the next Z in the '08 auto shows and get their feedback from there and work on getting an production model in order which will be released in mid to late '09. 2010-2011 is just overkill.

Last edited by black06z; 12-20-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Denum

Originally Posted by bghoward
This was taken from another post.

Nice, clearly shows what was changed on that picture. The headlights sticking out like that is just ugly. Dislike the roof top aswell. I would think they would make it lighter but if it involves sacraficing the style of the z itself, forget it. I sure do hope this is not the great change.

If a new z does not come out in 09 earley/mid/maybe late, i wont be buying a z at all. That's too much of a wait, and 08 was a joke of a change.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
06Gcoupin

Originally Posted by black06z
I don't see how an all-new 09 Z will hurt GT-R sales. The GT-R is an exclusive model that's in limited production. Not too many will touch dealership showrooms & waiting lists are in effect on top of that. The GT-R maybe the flagship of Nissan's line-up, but the Z is Nissan's baby that really put them at the top of the competition. It would be pretty stupid for Nissan to wait another 3-4 years for the next Z and keep making the same car untouched while other companies will be releasing models in the near future that will certainly compete head-to-head with it or probably surpass every aspect of it.

At the very least, I see Nissan putting out a concept of the next Z in the '08 auto shows and get their feedback from there and work on getting an production model in order which will be released in mid to late '09. 2010-2011 is just overkill.
Whole-Heartedly Agree on that. That 2011 sh*t is just a pure bullsh*t rumor.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 06Gcoupin
Whole-Heartedly Agree on that. That 2011 sh*t is just a pure bullsh*t rumor.
Umm not a rumor at all. The 2009 is a rumor not the 2011.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
CSTrack

Originally Posted by black06z

It's hard for us Z fans to separate wishful thinking from reality but the reality IS the Z has YET to appear in any Auto Show. Automotive publications usually get insider hints as to what shows they will appear months ahead of time and there has been absolutely no word as to this happening. The way I see it; the earliest the Z will appear in any Auto Show will be sometime next year (2008), probably at Geneva, Frankfurt or at the end of next year when North American shows preview 2009 models. If that's the case it usually takes at least 4 months for that particular car to start rolling into dealerships in Japan (where the Z is built). After making its rounds in the land of the rising sun, Nissan North America gets it no less than 6 months after that. All my calculations/guesses add up to the earliest point in which, we could get the Z. Odds are, it will take months longer for each step to materialize. Thus, SOLO-350Z's source is probably right in saying we will receive the next Z as a 2011 model and be able to purchase it on our shores in the Fall of 2010...

Last edited by CSTrack; 12-21-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
bghoward

Theres probably some truth to the 2011 time frame. Think of it this way, when did the G37 prototypes first appear before the car was actually available? The earliest link I could find puts the first prototypes appearance at around Jan 2006. We are just now seeing the 2008 G37 appear in dealerships. Given that we haven't even seen a prototype of the next gen Z yet it's going to be at least 2 years. I'm still hoping to see something at the San Diego auto show this next week and maybe, just maybe we will see a 2010 model Z show up in fall of 2009.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
ghoover

I think the G37 gives good reason to expect we will see something soon.

The original G35 came out roughly the same time as the 350Z (even a little later?) and that's been updated already, so it's logical to assume the 370Z is just around the corner.

The sooner they start sharing components with the G37 (such as the engine), the more cost effective it will be for them. It will be less expensive to make 30,000 G37 engines than 15,000 G37 and 15,000 350Z engines.

Also, how long has it been since we saw the spy photos of that shorter 350Z running with the Cayman? Why would they be running prototypes now for a 2011 model? It will be obsolete by the time it breaks cover.

It's possible we won't see one for several years, but I'd say it's more likely we'll see something sooner.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM
black06z

Originally Posted by CSTrack
It's hard for us Z fans to separate wishful thinking from reality but the reality IS the Z has YET to appear in any Auto Show. Automotive publications usually get insider hints as to what shows they will appear months ahead of time and there has been absolutely no word as to this happening. The way I see it; the earliest the Z will appear in any Auto Show will be sometime next year (2008), probably at Geneva, Frankfurt or at the end of next year when North American shows preview 2009 models. If that's the case it usually takes at least 4 months for that particular car to start rolling into dealerships in Japan (where the Z is built). After making its rounds in the land of the rising sun, Nissan North America gets it no less than 6 months after that. All my calculations/guesses add up to the earliest point in which, we could get the Z. Odds are, it will take months longer for each step to materialize. Thus, SOLO-350Z's source is probably right in saying we will receive the next Z as a 2011 model and be able to purchase it on our shores in the Fall of 2010...

That's basically what I said.

Anyways, after seeing how long Nissan took with the GTR test mule in 2004 with G35 chassis, till how long it got to a finalized production model earlier this year, its probably true that a brand new designed Z won't happen till 2011 model year. Although, I do see a revised Z for 2009.

Last edited by black06z; 12-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:20 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

maybe that smaller z is the silvia making a comeback? we all heard those rumors too
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 AM
5iVe

Yea he is big into the Z scene and Nissan gave him a NISMO car but he turned it down to be given away at the ZCCA Convention in Florida. He still works for Nissan.
Just to play devils advocate... This guy is on the Z team and Nissan hasn't released any official info yet so why would he betray his team and spill the beans on the next Z release date?

Also with all the info you gave us about the guy someone at Nissan could figure out who he is and couldn't he get into trouble for releasing information that he probably signed an agreement not to?

There is the possibility that he is giving out misinformation to ensure that the 08 sales numbers aren't hurt by knowledge of a new model coming out in 09.

There is also the possibility that the actual date is 2011 and that nissan wants this info to get out so that sales aren't hurt for the next two years while people wait for the new model. Of course it would make sense to eventually make that "official" and public knowledge if that was the case.

below are the sales numbers for the Z:

2003..... 36,728
2004..... 30,690
2005..... 27,278
2006..... 24,635
2007..... 17,651 YTD as of November

If I was a Nissan exec then I would want to get a new z to market as soon as I can. To allow this downward trend to continue for another year is necessary... to let it continue for another three years... just doesn't make sense. Unless they are working on a new z that they expect to sell less units of. For example if they make it more expensive. Then they can bring in the smaller baby Z to make up the volume and compete with that new Hyundai coupe.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Peak350

07 sales are low because it was only available (really available) for 6-8 months instead of the entire year. I expect more 08's to sell.

I've also heard the 2009 will be a 370z Z33 car. So we'll see in 6-8 months when more info is out there.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM
twenzel

Just to play devils advocate... This guy is on the Z team and Nissan hasn't released any official info yet so why would he betray his team and spill the beans on the next Z release date?

Also with all the info you gave us about the guy someone at Nissan could figure out who he is and couldn't he get into trouble for releasing information that he probably signed an agreement not to?

There is the possibility that he is giving out misinformation to ensure that the 08 sales numbers aren't hurt by knowledge of a new model coming out in 09.

There is also the possibility that the actual date is 2011 and that nissan wants this info to get out so that sales aren't hurt for the next two years while people wait for the new model. Of course it would make sense to eventually make that "official" and public knowledge if that was the case.

below are the sales numbers for the Z:

2003..... 36,728
2004..... 30,690
2005..... 27,278
2006..... 24,635
2007..... 17,651 YTD as of November

If I was a Nissan exec then I would want to get a new z to market as soon as I can. To allow this downward trend to continue for another year is necessary... to let it continue for another three years... just doesn't make sense. Unless they are working on a new z that they expect to sell less units of. For example if they make it more expensive. Then they can bring in the smaller baby Z to make up the volume and compete with that new Hyundai coupe.
I agree with this statement. If anything, Nissan will stop production for '09 and '10 to avoid losing money on the declining sales. Providing a 2 year gap before the refresh. But it just wouldn't make sense to sell the current model through 2010.

I have heard from a couple people inside corporate Nissan that we will see the 370Z in one of the auto shows early 2008 being sold in the fall as a 2009 model.

Quick Reply: Had a chat with a Nissan designer today...