Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

possible info on 7 speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
automatic = boring...
Don't thread jack the topic...
350 6 spd + 370 auto = crusing + traffic = Baller of both worlds
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Endgame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is VERY good news. An auto shifting in a half second is lovely. Interesting to note, the lower HP, AT SS Camaro is faster to 60 and around the track than the manual.

I would expect Nissan/Infiniti to match if not better that. I would not be surprised if the 7 speed AT Z is as quick as, if not quicker than the MT. 7 Speeds = broad powerband in each gear. While I would like a DSG, this will do!!

Can't wait to test drive!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
THe Emperor

I wonder if that 7 speed trans would bolt up with the DE? If not I can always get the valvebody upgrade for maximum pwnage.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
vnarang

automatic = boring...
troof.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
THe Emperor

phalse
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Manjot

Saying auto sucks is like saying the GT-R is a pos since it comes in auto only...which isn't true.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

automatic = boring...
That's true that automatics could be boring sometimes but these manual tranny's are smarter than NASA scientists. These auto tranny's shifts faster than any human being can shift. They rev matches smoother than any human being can ever imagine. I really wouldn't mind giving this tranny a shot.

(on my last sentence, by saying tranny, I meant transmission )
Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by 350Zforlife
That's true that automatics could be boring sometimes but these manual tranny's are smarter than NASA scientists. These auto tranny's shifts faster than any human being can shift. They rev matches smoother than any human being can ever imagine. I really wouldn't mind giving this tranny a shot.

(on my last sentence, by saying tranny, I meant transmission )
Don't lie, we know what you meant.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 AM
customoverload

a guy up here has a talon pushing 45 lbs of boost and his is an auto there is no way to shift as fast as a auto, but i do like manual cause its more fun and everything i own is
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 AM
GodSendsDeath

Well since I am a cheap bastard, and I will wait till 2nd year production to skip paying the premium of a new release vehicle. I will see how this new transmission turns out. If all turns out in my favor its not a POS can handle some power and shifts fast enough and the rev matching is spot on why not!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Endgame

Well, are these trannies not being run in the Infiniti line up now? That is the pilot run right there!!!

Unless you are talking about the new Z car overall....
Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
I hated my clutch. That thing used to sit so high up and if you wanted to shift you needed to press the clutch nearly through the floor board or you will hear a grind. I dunno maybe this is normal, all I used to drive prior this Z was BMW's and there manual's are a joy to drive.
Hah! My thoughts exactly. My 97 M3 was a joy to shift and launch.

I used to ***** all the time that nissan's tranny sucked and they should have gotten Borg-Warner (now ZF) to build them.

I do love the short-throw of the Nissan tranny. The BMW tranny was like rowing a boat! But ti was sooooo smooth.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 AM
WestRace

Originally Posted by mthreat
I think modern Formula One gearboxes can shift in 0.015 seconds or so (15 milliseconds).
Well their trannies only have to last for two races.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Manjot

Will the paddle shifters be like the smg bmws, letting you rev to any rpm while your in paddle shiter mode? or will they be just so that you can shifter sooner while normally accelerating?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Aggro_Al

The 0.5s shift time is most likely for manual-mode because that's about as fast as a human can shift without stepping on a clutch pedal. In automatic-mode it will shift much faster because the computer controls the whole thing. It will probably be less than 200 milliseconds.

The current Nissan 5AT has a lot of the same features already that the new 7spd does.

A lot of people give the torque converter a bad rap without really knowing how it works. In general, a plate clutch automatic (DSG, SMG, etc) can have faster shift times in automatic mode (~100 milliseconds faster than a torque converter based AT). But, the torque converter does have it's advantages. A torque converter can create more torque than the engine is putting out by using a torque converter process called torque multiplication. If the impeller (engine side) has a greater speed than the turbine (driveshaft side) of the torque converter the stator will return the excess energy back to the impeller to be re-accelerated and to create more torque until the turbine is at the same speed as the impeller then it will fluid couple or use a clutch lock. Depending on the stator, stall and gearing you can easily get 2x or more torque multiplication. The current Z 5AT get almost 2x. Modern dragsters get 4x or more. Another advantage the torque converter has is the ability to eliminate or minimize turbo lag. Turbochargers and torque converters make a great combination. An unlocked torque converter has the ability to slip and torque multiply. During this slipping process the turbos can be pre-loaded before launch or kept at a higher RPM during acceleration when the torque converter uncouples during high performance driving. One of the cheapest mods you can get with the most bang for buck is a High Stall Torque Converter.

Despite the misconceptions, torque converters use several clutches as opposed to one or two plate clutches as used in F1 of DSG. The modern performance torque converter only uses fluid dynamics while torque multiplying or slipping. There is no hydraulic interaction when the torque converter is locked-up with a mechanical clutch. In lock-up it acts just like a regular clutch transmission.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
The 0.5s shift time is most likely for manual-mode because that's about as fast as a human can shift without stepping on a clutch pedal. In automatic-mode it will shift much faster because the computer controls the whole thing. It will probably be less than 200 milliseconds.

The current Nissan 5AT has a lot of the same features already that the new 7spd does.

A lot of people give the torque converter a bad rap without really knowing how it works. In general, a plate clutch automatic (DSG, SMG, etc) can have faster shift times in automatic mode (~100 milliseconds faster than a torque converter based AT). But, the torque converter does have it's advantages. A torque converter can create more torque than the engine is putting out by using a torque converter process called torque multiplication. If the impeller (engine side) has a greater speed than the turbine (driveshaft side) of the torque converter the stator will return the excess energy back to the impeller to be re-accelerated and to create more torque until the turbine is at the same speed as the impeller then it will fluid couple or use a clutch lock. Depending on the stator, stall and gearing you can easily get 2x or more torque multiplication. The current Z 5AT get almost 2x. Modern dragsters get 4x or more. Another advantage the torque converter has is the ability to eliminate or minimize turbo lag. Turbochargers and torque converters make a great combination. An unlocked torque converter has the ability to slip and torque multiply. During this slipping process the turbos can be pre-loaded before launch or kept at a higher RPM during acceleration when the torque converter uncouples during high performance driving. One of the cheapest mods you can get with the most bang for buck is a High Stall Torque Converter.

Despite the misconceptions, torque converters use several clutches as opposed to one or two plate clutches as used in F1 of DSG. The modern performance torque converter only uses fluid dynamics while torque multiplying or slipping. There is no hydraulic interaction when the torque converter is locked-up with a mechanical clutch. In lock-up it acts just like a regular clutch transmission.
Thanks that was a interesting read, and next time you think about sharing please do this was good stuff.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 AM
VandyZ

I drove the 7AT last night in a test car (not in a Z). I cant give a full review as it was a very quick drive, but it seemed very sporty. In DS mode it shifted at redline when at WOT and no paddle intervention. It also downshifted and rev matched very smoothly. It was said that the 7AT is just a little faster than the 6MT will be, but obviously not as fun if you are looking for the full experience. Its a toss up for me, at least in a G sedan. In the new Z, there would be no question . . . manual only.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Endgame

7AT for me!!!!!

maybe...
Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

This 7AT sounds very promising.. Can't wait to try it on the 370z.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM
zsport1

Different strokes for different folks. Automatic, standard, it's all good!
BTW: I prefer standard.

Quick Reply: possible info on 7 speed auto