Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The new red engine start button - love it

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Greg06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stepuckey
^ reading owns you
+1
Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Agent ONE

Originally Posted by Chaser720
You being the noob were considered to be the idiot.
Not quite sure what you are saying, because what you wrote really doesn't make sense. How I am the noob? I have been here 2 years longer than you have.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stepuckey
^ reading owns you
I's cant't reed veary goud.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
dorikin_86

Originally Posted by Agent ONE
OMG you thought I was serious? What is the average age of this forum? Its gotta be like 9.

Let me spell it out for you short bus kids:

Start button = stupid gimmick

Does not even warrant thread.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
scrapser

Start button cool?

My first car was a 1963 Plymouth Valiant 4 door sedan powered by a 225 slant six producing a whopping 90 hp! But the coolest thing about it was the push button automatic transmission. Go forward? Push a button. Back up? Push a button. Now that's high tech.

What car has this today?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 AM
in.the.dark

I would like to take an opportunity to address all of the key-use elitists that think that keyless systems are some stupid gimmick. You absolutely could not be more wrong, nor hard headed in your unwillingness to embrace keyless systems.

First of all, you need to define a keyless system as one that does not require the use of an object (metal key or key fob) to enter and start the car. This is not to be confused with BMW's system of inserting a fob into the dash. That is just another key, just not a little metal one that lines up the tumblers.

Now here is why considering a keyless system a gimmick is asinine. Key's (whether metal or otherwise) are nothing more than a way to start the car from the driver's seat instead of cranking the engine by hand. The key itself is a compromise because you needed a way to ensure only the owner could start the car. If that wasn't the case, then all cars would always have come with only a start button and never used keys. The goal is to make it more convenient for the driver. That's it. A key is a convenience. The keyless systems take this same concept (starting the car from the driver's seat) and makes it more convenient. The start button is no more gimmicky than the metal keys that people have been carrying around. They achieve the same thing.

Being stubborn or against something just because you don't want to admit it's cool or useful is stupid. Is using a traditional key so bad? No. But it sure as hell beats cranking an engine by hand. So if you are going to ***** about convenience, then I expect to see a crank handle sticking out the front of your car.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 10-28-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
trebien

^ Well said.

On the other hand, it's ASSinine for BMW to charge $500 extra for their "comfort access" option, that does this in the 3 series.

Or maybe it's just genius, depending on how you look at it. Kind of like their $2400 laser cruise control.

In the G37, it's $1100, and you get the adaptive front lights as well.

WTF, man... wtf...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
But it sure as hell beats cranking an engine by hand.
Especially if the engine has a tendency to backfire! Ouch.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by john69
wow, did you think all of that by yourself?
Yeah, so where's my cookie?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM
CHICAGO Z

What if this button could read your finger print. Now thats high tech, no key fobs needed, just your middle finger.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM
mysttkal

Originally Posted by CHICAGO Z
What if this button could read your finger print. Now thats high tech, no key fobs needed, just your middle finger.
+1
Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has an Infiniti M35x with the Keyless Start.

Its pretty functional. You leave the key in your pocket. When you are in proximit to the door, it unlocks for you. You can then get in the car, put your foot on the brake and simple push the button to start the car.

Removes the whole step of taking out the keys, inserting them and turning the key.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
rockinbboy

hahahah..wow...thread flame going on. Well for starters(get it??)...I'll admit I read Agent's post too fast and didnt' pick up on the sarcasm...my bad.

Well, as far as the button goes...its really just an opinion. Some people want it for the cool factor. Maybe others want it for its functionality. And fankly..others are just old school and want turn a damn key!

Well, the button is cool..but if it suddenly stops working, I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that I couldn't make the engine start turning a real key in the ignition vs the button not working. Like...why is it not working?! It just adds one more question to the list of poential questions of not being able to start.

1. Battery dead?
2. Alternator dead?
3. Starter dead?
4. Brokenz buttonz?

and who the heck said this button is red? Clearly its grey..unless OP meant it will be lit up red? (shrugs)
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
hahahah..wow...thread flame going on. Well for starters(get it??)...I'll admit I read Agent's post too fast and didnt' pick up on the sarcasm...my bad.

Well, as far as the button goes...its really just an opinion. Some people want it for the cool factor. Maybe others want it for its functionality. And fankly..others are just old school and want turn a damn key!

Well, the button is cool..but if it suddenly stops working, I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that I couldn't make the engine start turning a real key in the ignition vs the button not working. Like...why is it not working?! It just adds one more question to the list of poential questions of not being able to start.

1. Battery dead?
2. Alternator dead?
3. Starter dead?
4. Brokenz buttonz?

and who the heck said this button is red? Clearly its grey..unless OP meant it will be lit up red? (shrugs)
It's actually the same number of things to worry about. The difference is that you don't worry about the cylinder going bad due to being worn or damaged (though this is a rarity). If nothing happened when you pushed the button, you would ask yourself the same questions. The trouble shooting would actually be more similar, with you inserting the fob into the dash in case it were dead to ensure that it wasn't the 'key' much the same as you would insert your key into the ignition switch on a traditional car.

Once that was ruled out, there is no difference between the two systems. If there is no sound, it's likely the battery, if the battery's fine and it's just a clicking noise, probably the starter. The button itself just replaces the entire key socket assembly, making it a simple switch.

What's funny is a friend of mine worked at a locksmith during highschool and college (family owned business) and he laughs when you talk about chicks with a lot of crap on their key rings breaking keys off in the cylinder. That will no longer be a problem. Sucks for their business though.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 10-28-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to buy a 370z for the sole purpose to have a push button start, because pushing a button to start the engine is so freaken awesome, it's like owning a racecar! Any car without one is just out dated and useless
Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 PM
sifuK

My air bag light keeps flickering. So if you have a button and you cant turn the keys, how do you reset your stupid air bag lights?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by in.the.dark

Once that was ruled out, there is no difference between the two systems. If there is no sound, it's likely the battery, if the battery's fine and it's just a clicking noise, probably the starter. The button itself just replaces the entire key socket assembly, making it a simple switch.
naw, I understand that..don't get me wrong. I guess I personally like more of the mechanical feel with starting a car.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Superfly84zx

I think that having all my keys hanging out of the steering column making noises over bumps and all that is a pain in the **** not too mention I seem to always check the wrong pockets for the damn things...I think having the keys in your coat or pocket or purse (if you are a woman) and just get in the seat and start the car with a button is PERFECT!!! Would I pay 500$ for it?...maybe not...but if it was free I wouldnt complain about it thats for sure!!! KEYS SUCK!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:56 PM
trebien

Keys are so 80's...

What else you want, and 8-track player?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

i am waiting for the bio start.

Quick Reply: The new red engine start button - love it