Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Is the third brake light thing official for the USDM 370Z?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
BrianV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the third brake light thing official for the USDM 370Z?

I've read a few comments here and there, but nothing official. Is that butthole on the back of the US cars definitely going to stay? Also, does it actually work or is it just a black lens cover for US models?

Ugg, I can't believe they're leaving that on, it makes no sense. They already make different bumpers for the different size license plates don't they? If they R&D'd two bumpers why didn't they remove it for the US 370Z?

I'm still holding hope that the pre-production models were made to Euro spec and that the actual ones to our dealer won't have it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM
BrianV

Well this picture shows that the butthole light doesn't turn on with the other brake lights:

However, this picture makes it appear there are LEDs inside or something. Were they so lazy they left the light there but just deactivated it?

I'm baffled on why this remains on the vehicle. I mean I suppose if it did something cool like you press a button inside the car and an ASCII Art middle finger appears or something that'd be cool, but short of some miracle new feature like that, it's gotta go.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 PM
350zJIM

+1, unless I can retrofit a radar/laser blocker in there
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
BrianV

I don't understand, there's only like 1 country in the world that uses that crap. You don't find that crap on cars in Germany, just in the UK.

That thing is a f'ing failure. Whatever Japanese styling guy tried to pass that as something that would be well received by all markets needs to commit harry carry.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM
zed-er

Even Porsches sold here in the US have rear fog lights. That's all this thing is. It may still be there and just deactiviated. Once the car starts shipping, somebody will come up with a hack to do something. Maybe they can reactivate it or do something else. I thought it would be a great place for a hideaway trailer hitch to pull a tiny track trailer carrying a set of track wheels/tires and tool box.

But I REALLY I like the idea of the laser jammer installed here. Or maybe a backup camera. Hmmm.

zed-er
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
BrianV

Originally Posted by zed-er
Even Porsches sold here in the US have rear fog lights. That's all this thing is. It may still be there and just deactiviated. Once the car starts shipping, somebody will come up with a hack to do something. Maybe they can reactivate it or do something else. I thought it would be a great place for a hideaway trailer hitch to pull a tiny track trailer carrying a set of track wheels/tires and tool box.

But I REALLY I like the idea of the laser jammer installed here. Or maybe a backup camera. Hmmm.

zed-er
Hmm, show me a picture of what you're talking about on a USDM Porsche; whatever it is, I guarantee it looks good.

This looks like a freaking complete afterthought. It's black and your average joe seeing is going to wonder wtf it does.

I guess if I were to buy a 370Z, my color choice is pretty much limited to black to mitigate this "rear fog light" or whatever you want to call it. Of course with a black Z, you gotta deal with silver handle bars which look out of place, but I'll take that over this poop-chute tragedy.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 PM
350zJIM

Originally Posted by BrianV
Hmm, show me a picture of what you're talking about on a USDM Porsche; whatever it is, I guarantee it looks good.

This looks like a freaking complete afterthought. It's black and your average joe seeing is going to wonder wtf it does.

I guess if I were to buy a 370Z, my color choice is pretty much limited to black to mitigate this "rear fog light" or whatever you want to call it. Of course with a black Z, you gotta deal with silver handle bars which look out of place, but I'll take that over this poop-chute tragedy.
Glad to see you made your decision, I was thinking black too
Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugg, I can't believe they're leaving that on, it makes no sense. They already make different bumpers for the different size license plates don't they? If they R&D'd two bumpers why didn't they remove it for the US 370Z?
Here is what i was told by a NNA project manager for the sports car division (Z, GT-R):

They kept it in anticipation of giving the US models the rear fog. All was well until the wonderful state of California said "it was too high" for use on their roads and would be considered illegal. At this point it was too late for new covers to be molded.

My opinion:
I think the rear fog could be useful, especially if it had its own switch, so i wish it could have worked out. Leaving the remnants there is a mistake, and i dont know why they couldnt do something else despite the timing. I bet its going to be something like the 2003 G sedan trunk handle . . . where mid year they will change it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Le Zed

Default oh callifffoorrnniiaa

Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 AM
PA 19103

I really wish they take that butthole light out; that could potentially save another 5 lbs. Maybe the 2nd year of the 370z they will remove it.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM
BrianV

Originally Posted by VandyZ
I bet its going to be something like the 2003 G sedan trunk handle . . . where mid year they will change it.
Crosses fingers...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
BrianV

Originally Posted by 350zJIM
Glad to see you made your decision, I was thinking black too
Far from made up, but it's a consideration. A lot depends on the final price for a sport+touring+nav. If it's too high, used Cayman S or Z06 will win out.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 AM
zed-er

The rear fog light is contained within the left rear taillight on Porsches. It's not in a separate enclosure.

zed-er
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM
trebien

I'm baffled on why this remains on the vehicle. I mean I suppose if it did something cool like you press a button inside the car and an ASCII Art middle finger appears or something that'd be cool, but short of some miracle new feature like that, it's gotta go.
Exactly.

I bet it disappears within a year...

I'd also like to see a 'chop with that whole exhaust bumper area blacked out...
or maybe black meshed... I wonder if that area around the exhaust is really an insert like it looks (doubt it) or the area is one piece with the bumper, and the lines are molded into it.

It be nice if it was an insert, and could be removed/painted or swapped out for aftermarket. But not likely.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
zsport1

When I get my 370 I'm installing the NISMO Smoke Screen in the rear fog light.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zsport1
When I get my 370 I'm installing the NISMO Smoke Screen in the rear fog light.
Make sure to wait for the limited edition one w/ oil slick included.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM
zsport1

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
Make sure to wait for the limited edition one w/ oil slick included.
Oh ya. Almost forgot. Thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
burner

It will be gone after the first year. I think integrating a back-up cam and a laser jammer would be sick, so if thats something you want to do get the 09!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
elms350Z

I just posted this in another thread but here you go hope this helps...

I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming it is similar to the rear markers you will find on Formula 1 cars. These lights are lit during foggy or wet conditions. If you get a chance to watch a F1 GP you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2008/800/

EDIT: The site won't let me copy a direct link so it is located on the 1st column 4th row.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
ART_

Fangs and butthole won't be missed in 2010

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the third brake light thing official for the USDM 370Z?