Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z Clutch vs. 350Z Clutch

Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
  #1  
cheeyo
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 370Z Clutch vs. 350Z Clutch

For you manual transmission owners, how does the new 370Z clutch compare to the old 350Z's? I've read a couple owners/reviews mention that the clutch is on the softer side, which sounds like the opposite of the old 350Z's stiff, long throw clutch. I would love it if you lucky 370Z 6MT owners could share you experiences regarding the following:

clutch travel - shorter travel than the 350Z? Or the same?

clutch engagement - does clutch still engage high off the floor or more towards the middle? Also, is the engagement point still really narrow, like an on/off switch - or is it more forgiving?

clutch weight - more/less/same effort required to push down clutch pedal?

Thanks guys!
cheeyo is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 AM
  #2  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would really like to know if the clutch sticks to the floor for a second in between high rpm shifts like the 07-08 clutches do...In other words, does it have one of those b.s. inline clutch dampners..??
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 AM
  #3  
tranceformer95
Registered User
iTrader: (20)
 
tranceformer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 5,401
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I didn't get to test drive a 370z yet but I've sat inside a showroom 370z, and driven a G37S coupe several times. (i'm pretty sure all drivetrain parts are identical from the G37 to 370z)

clutch travel - shorter travel than the 350Z? Or the same?
--> feels the same as my '05 350Z

clutch engagement - does clutch still engage high off the floor or more towards the middle? Also, is the engagement point still really narrow, like an on/off switch - or is it more forgiving?
--> high off the floor, between middle and top of clutch travel; no need to push the pedal to the floor during normal driving

clutch weight - more/less/same effort required to push down clutch pedal?
--> feels the same as my '05 350z, which is A LOT softer than the 03 and 04 clutches that I've driven. I will say that the G37/370z clutch felt like it had more of a spring action to it, maybe the clutch on my Z is getting tired (it's already slipping a bit).

I will say this, switching between my Z and my brother's G37 is seamless as far as the clutch is. It's just that everything feels smoother and newer in his car.
tranceformer95 is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 AM
  #4  
[email protected]
Vendor - Former Vendor
iTrader: (23)
 
bryan@Z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 2,890
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

From what little I have driven our 370Z the release point is very high off the floor. It does have a fairly soft pedal and for the most part is pretty fool proof if you're used to a high pedal point.
bryan@Z1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
  #5  
35Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cheeyo View Post
For you manual transmission owners, how does the new 370Z clutch compare to the old 350Z's? I've read a couple owners/reviews mention that the clutch is on the softer side, which sounds like the opposite of the old 350Z's stiff, long throw clutch. I would love it if you lucky 370Z 6MT owners could share you experiences regarding the following:

clutch travel - shorter travel than the 350Z? Or the same?

clutch engagement - does clutch still engage high off the floor or more towards the middle? Also, is the engagement point still really narrow, like an on/off switch - or is it more forgiving?

clutch weight - more/less/same effort required to push down clutch pedal?

Thanks guys!

Clutch travel is shorter
Clutch engagement is shorter & narrower
Less effort than on my 05 350Z.
35Z is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 AM
  #6  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
I would really like to know if the clutch sticks to the floor for a second in between high rpm shifts like the 07-08 clutches do...In other words, does it have one of those b.s. inline clutch dampners..??
???? anyone know this yet????
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 AM
  #7  
Datona Jess
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Datona Jess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Posts: 3,078
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
???? anyone know this yet????
My 08 never had what you are talking about so no.

If the 370 is at all like the G37S clutch, then it is a big improvement over my 06 and 08 Z's...
Datona Jess is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
  #8  
lemansz20
Banned
iTrader: (3)
 
lemansz20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: miami,FL.
Posts: 392
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I drove a g37s, and i felt that I needed to become a girl to drive that thing. It was soooo soft, compared to my old 04 350z, it made me miss that clutch, bc it was awesome to me.
lemansz20 is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
  #9  
El PreZidente
Registered User
 
El PreZidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Datona Jess View Post
My 08 never had what you are talking about so no.
My clutch never sticks to the floor when shifting at high RPM either (08 Enthusiast).
El PreZidente is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
  #10  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by El PreZidente View Post
My clutch never sticks to the floor when shifting at high RPM either (08 Enthusiast).
hmmm, funny...Are you guys shifting fast enough..?? I test drove an 08 enthusiast,an 08 base, and a 08 touring vert. that all had the same "clutch sticks to the floor for 1 sec" between 7500 rpm gear changes...
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
  #11  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lemansz20 View Post
I drove a g37s, and i felt that I needed to become a girl to drive that thing. It was soooo soft, compared to my old 04 350z, it made me miss that clutch, bc it was awesome to me.
I am right there with ya..My 04.5 enthusiast clutch felt much better then the newer 07-08 clutches...
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
  #12  
El PreZidente
Registered User
 
El PreZidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
hmmm, funny...Are you guys shifting fast enough..?? I test drove an 08 enthusiast,an 08 base, and a 08 touring vert. that all had the same "clutch sticks to the floor for 1 sec" between 7500 rpm gear changes...
I shift as fast as the car allows without abusing it, from what I can tell. The shifter is pretty balky... I could stomp the clutch and yank back on the shifter as hard as I can with the gas still mashed to the floor I suppose, is that how you do it?
El PreZidente is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
  #13  
Hella
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Hella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 769
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
hmmm, funny...Are you guys shifting fast enough..?? I test drove an 08 enthusiast,an 08 base, and a 08 touring vert. that all had the same "clutch sticks to the floor for 1 sec" between 7500 rpm gear changes...
apprarently you are the only one shifting fast enough to make the clutch not work properly.
Hella is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
  #14  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hella View Post
apprarently you are the only one shifting fast enough to make the clutch not work properly.

no,no..If you do a search, you will find exactly what I am talking about..The 07-08's all have an inline clutch dampner that slows fluid through the line resulting in a "cushy" high rpm gear change thus keeping the pedal to the floor for a quick second..
If you do a search for "clutch dampner" you will find other threads as well as pics....I guess if you 07-08 guys have never driven a 6mt from the 03-06 Z's it may just feel normal to you..
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
  #15  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by El PreZidente View Post
I shift as fast as the car allows without abusing it, from what I can tell. The shifter is pretty balky... I could stomp the clutch and yank back on the shifter as hard as I can with the gas still mashed to the floor I suppose, is that how you do it?
I am not flat shifting or abusing the car/clutch in any way, just simply shifting fast....Matter of fact you can almost feel the gear transition delay for a quick sec. when this happens...
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
  #16  
El PreZidente
Registered User
 
El PreZidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

AP2 S2000 is worse, I'm sure of it. Maybe that's why I don't notice it.

I've shifted at a little above 7K a few times, and not noticed the clutch slipping or anything. I'm never really on the gas until the clutch most of the way up, and the clutch comes up as fast as I let it.
El PreZidente is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 AM
  #17  
Datona Jess
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Datona Jess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Posts: 3,078
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
no,no..If you do a search, you will find exactly what I am talking about..The 07-08's all have an inline clutch dampner that slows fluid through the line resulting in a "cushy" high rpm gear change thus keeping the pedal to the floor for a quick second..
If you do a search for "clutch dampner" you will find other threads as well as pics....I guess if you 07-08 guys have never driven a 6mt from the 03-06 Z's it may just feel normal to you..
I disagree, I had an 06, and I felt the 08 had a slightly different clutch, but nothing that I can put my finger on.

I am not the worlds best shifter, but I dragged, autocrossed, and roadraced that car without any problems whatsoever, and I flat foot shifting that car a BUNCH of times.

The new clutch will be softer, but that is progress. That is what they want, smoother and still as strong and less noisy.
Datona Jess is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 AM
  #18  
ACEMAN
Master
iTrader: (29)
 
ACEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 2,774
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
no,no..If you do a search, you will find exactly what I am talking about..The 07-08's all have an inline clutch dampner that slows fluid through the line resulting in a "cushy" high rpm gear change thus keeping the pedal to the floor for a quick second..
If you do a search for "clutch dampner" you will find other threads as well as pics....I guess if you 07-08 guys have never driven a 6mt from the 03-06 Z's it may just feel normal to you..
It is still setup the same way.

When i test drove the 370 I noticed the same exact thing happening like when i drove a nismo 350z.

Never had this issue on my 03

Todd
ACEMAN is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
  #19  
99lspwr
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
99lspwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: de
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ACEMAN View Post
It is still setup the same way.

When i test drove the 370 I noticed the same exact thing happening like when i drove a nismo 350z.

Never had this issue on my 03

Todd
WOO HOO!!!! My man...Maybe these guys will think I am a little less crazy now..lol
99lspwr is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 PM
  #20  
danlee1
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just got back from test driving the 370z. I currently have a 2003 and the 370z clutch is super super soft. No effort needed at all to engage the sucker...in fact, its even soft compared to a 2008 BMW 335i, which is pretty soft compared to my Z. I haven't driven any year Z other than mine, so I cannot comment how the differences between the new 370z vs the late model 350z's. As everyone else mentioned, the engagement point is pretty high on the 370z. It does shift nice though!
danlee1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 370Z Clutch vs. 350Z Clutch


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: