Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

My Review of the new 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
newtkindred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z053
I'll have to disagree with the 350Z saving Nissan from going under because although they did not sell as many units as Toyota and Honda, Nissan wasn't close to bankruptcy like the current Big 3 is facing. If anything, the previous generation Altima was responsible for Nissan's increased sales as they sold really well against the likes of the Camry and Accord. Having the 350Z allows Nissan to finally have a sporty coupe in their lineup again but was no means the savior of the company.

Infiniti, on the other hand, was single-handedly revived by the introduction of the G35 sedan and coupe. They were struggling in the 2000's and really didn't make any product that challenges Acura and Lexus at the time. Once they launched a powerful RWD entry level sedan and coupe, their sales took off and from there they were able to continue the success with the FX and new M models.
Yep, it was the Altima that saved Nissan and the G35 that revived Infiniti. You are dead on. I think if it weren't for the Altima perhaps the 350Z would have never come.

The 240Z is an icon. 350Z? Perhaps. But, in retrospect is seems the 240Z, 2002-2006 Altima and G35 were perhaps the three most important cars for Nissan.

"ORLANDO, Fla. _ A lot of people don't realize just how dire the situation was for Nissan_how close we came to losing the brand, of having it absorbed by some other automaker.

An undeniable example: In 1996, Nissan ended production of the 300ZX, the company's flagship sports car, which had been sold continuously since the Z helped put Nissan_then called Datsun_on the map in 1970. Though Nissan entered the U.S. market in 1958, it wasn't until the 240Z arrived that many competitors began taking it seriously."

Last edited by newtkindred; 02-08-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Kratos

Sure the Altima sold a lot of units, but the revived Z brought back excitement and flashiness to Nissan. While it didn't directly relate to massive sales of the Z, (it's just not that practical for most people) it did bring people's attention back to the Nissan brand.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 AM
psteng19

Originally Posted by KManZ
Iconic? I would say that the 350Z was the car that saved Nissan from going under.
That would be the Altima.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlos Chosn
It's not just another car in our lineup, it's really the symbol of the revival of our company.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9/b3792002.htm

Keep chortling Altima all you want, the 350Z marked the return of Nissan.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Z did good also, but the altima is what gave Nissan it's success in the past few years..
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
BigRez
Banned

i dont believe that age has anything to do with what kinds of cars your "into", first of all some people are into all kinds of cars but doesnt mean they have the car, want to drive the car, or can afford the car. take for instance someone in their forties might think the z is a great car, but he doesnt have the money or the time to drive it with a family. a 16 year old would love a lamborgini but can he drive one?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Wukillabeez78

Originally Posted by Kratos
Sure the Altima sold a lot of units, but the revived Z brought back excitement and flashiness to Nissan. While it didn't directly relate to massive sales of the Z, (it's just not that practical for most people) it did bring people's attention back to the Nissan brand.

The 3rd Generation Altima was definitely the car that brought Nissan back. When it came out it completely changed the family sedan segment and the V6 used in it (same one later used in the 350Z when it debuted) is what started the "horsepower wars" in the affordable 4 door sedan class. The V6 Altima was excitement when it debuted. It was the fastest 4 door production sedan (when it first came out) 0-60 in 5.9 seconds which was quick back in 2002. The 350Z played a role in reviving Nissan in the early 2000's but here is the definitive article(scroll down and start reading at the top of page 4 to get to where it talks about the altima and 350Z) that tells which car was really the true savior.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=14&gl=us

I like the Z car but I don't believe the 350Z has come anywhere close to reaching icon status yet. The Z line as a WHOLE is an iconic brand name in the auto industry but I think most people realize that the only Z's that can be considered iconic individually would be the early 240s/260/280Zs. I'm not sure that any of the 300ZX's have reached iconic status by themselves yet, the early Datsun ones are the only ones that are considered rare, hard to find, very desirable, etc... Here is an article that talks about why the 240Z is an icon http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/08/car-lust--datsu.html An iconic car is viewed favorably by more than just the owners of the car, it's celebrated by all in the automotive community as being important in some way. The 350Z has been very important to Nissan in various ways but that is about as far as it's importance extends. Like I said above I love Z cars and Nissan/Infiniti products in general but it's asinine to think the 350Z has reached iconic status or is comparable to cars that have reached that level. It's going to be quite a while (if ever) that we see such articles written about the 350Z.

Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 02-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
greensparcs

a car thats 20 years old and still looks beautiful as when it rolled off the line as it does today sitting at a light next to a newer sports car to me is iconic. it was one of the most technologically advanced cars of its day for its price, with the super hicas 4 wheel steering and still turns heads when it drives around. to me the 300zx ignited the passon for the Z cars and will always be my first love in the sports car world. so it is an icon to me, cannot say for other people
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by greensparcs
a car thats 20 years old and still looks beautiful as when it rolled off the line as it does today sitting at a light next to a newer sports car to me is iconic. it was one of the most technologically advanced cars of its day for its price, with the super hicas 4 wheel steering and still turns heads when it drives around. to me the 300zx ignited the passon for the Z cars and will always be my first love in the sports car world. so it is an icon to me, cannot say for other people
I was actually going to say the 300ZX TT is more "iconic" than the 350Z. It had dual and twin everything. It gained respect from all types of automotive enthusiasts from different backgrounds. I mean, can you imagine a 350Z going down the dragstrip like a 350ZX TT?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:54 PM
jimpactmfsc

the 350z HR will be iconic/rare
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
OCMan

Originally Posted by Crewctlvr
FYI, I owned a 2005 350Z Enthusiast with AT. I looked at a 2009 370Z Touring. I compared the brochures and internet information and looked at the car at the dealership. Here are my impressions.
1. The car should have been marketed as a 2010. The 2009 Roadster could have been the 2009 lineup.
2. The parcel box behind the passenger seat is replaced by a much smaller unit. There is a small glove box in the dash.
3. Limited slip differential is only available on the "Sport" package. Now there are only two models the base and Touring. Each is available with a sport or navigation package.
4. The iPod interface only works with an iPhone when the iPhone is in airplane mode, meaning no phone availability. This feature in only available with the Navigation package.
5. On the dash I could not find the tire pressure indicator that was on my 350Z.
6. Even though there are aluminum doors the car is heavier than my 350Z.
7. I can't get the same packaged 370Z as my 350Z within $3,000 of what I paid for my 2005 Enthusiast. That meaning having Homelink® and limited slip differential.
8. I am glad that the car has a different name and that means the 350Z iconic car is frozen in history. Most of the time each year in car means it gets heavier and sometimes uglier. I cite the Jaguar XK-E as an example. Check out the beautiful 1961 models then look at an early 1970 models with those ugly federally mandated bumpers. The 350Z progressively got heavier as it aged.
9. Overall, the new 370Z is a good car and if they could loosen up their packages or make limited slip standard on all models it could be a deal maker. But for me to pony up $40,000 for a car I paid $30,000 for in 2005 to get limited slip and Homelink® is a deal breaker.
dude,

cars and drivers is hiring. you should apply
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
mrf350z

What still frustrates me about Nissan, and the Z - is that they keep installing head units (stereo's) that are no where near the competition or the Z owners needs - example - the base Ford Focus has a standard MP3 "High-performance stereo sound in Ford Focus begins with an AM/FM system with an MP3-capable single-disc CD player, four speakers and audio input jack, standard in all models. Nissan base - MP3/WMA CD playback capability nope - gotta get the touring... I know that's nit picking - but come on already...they're from JAPAN!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
greensparcs

id consider the 370 if it came with forced induction.....but only a bump in displacement. why not a vq35hr with a twin setup id be sold.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 AM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by greensparcs
id consider the 370 if it came with forced induction.....but only a bump in displacement. why not a vq35hr with a twin setup id be sold.
With a FI option, that would put the Z in a whole different league. But I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 AM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78

I like the Z car but I don't believe the 350Z has come anywhere close to reaching icon status yet. The Z line as a WHOLE is an iconic brand name in the auto industry but I think most people realize that the only Z's that can be considered iconic individually would be the early 240s/260/280Zs. I'm not sure that any of the 300ZX's have reached iconic status by themselves yet, the early Datsun ones are the only ones that are considered rare, hard to find, very desirable, etc... Here is an article that talks about why the 240Z is an icon http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/08/car-lust--datsu.html An iconic car is viewed favorably by more than just the owners of the car, it's celebrated by all in the automotive community as being important in some way. The 350Z has been very important to Nissan in various ways but that is about as far as it's importance extends. Like I said above I love Z cars and Nissan/Infiniti products in general but it's asinine to think the 350Z has reached iconic status or is comparable to cars that have reached that level. It's going to be quite a while (if ever) that we see such articles written about the 350Z.
Yep, the 240Z grabbed everyone's attention and gained a lot of respect. You could go into a American automotive machine shop and actually see some L series engines laying around next to the Chevy V8's. Inside and out, the 240Z earned the "icon" status. I agree, no other Z has done that. To me the only one that has a chance is the 300ZX TT but it will never come close to the 240Z's status.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
scrapser

I haven't read all the posts regarding what makes the 350 iconic so forgive me if I repeat someone.

To me, you have to ask what does iconic mean? When I think of past "iconic" cars like the Mustang or GTO (yes I'm old) I think of two factors...appearance and bang for the buck (better known as performance). I think the 350 delivered in both of these areas quite well and hence it has earned the moniker, iconic.

The 370 takes the Z in a new direction...good or bad only time will tell. For myself, I'm very happy to own a 350.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
arneltec

Default 2cents

The Z revived the Brand.
The affordable Altima kept it a floot al these years.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
par4bmw

Originally Posted by scrapser
I haven't read all the posts regarding what makes the 350 iconic so forgive me if I repeat someone.

To me, you have to ask what does iconic mean? When I think of past "iconic" cars like the Mustang or GTO (yes I'm old) I think of two factors...appearance and bang for the buck (better known as performance). I think the 350 delivered in both of these areas quite well and hence it has earned the moniker, iconic.

The 370 takes the Z in a new direction...good or bad only time will tell. For myself, I'm very happy to own a 350.
The 350 clearly revived the Z line. We should all be happy about that

I think time will tell whether it is iconic. If it is still sought after when other models have been introduced, then there is no argument -- it is iconic.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
SergEK

9. Overall, the new 370Z is a good car and if they could loosen up their packages or make limited slip standard on all models it could be a deal maker. But for me to pony up $40,000 for a car I paid $30,000 for in 2005 to get limited slip and Homelink® is a deal breaker.
The "viscous" LSD isnt even much of an LSD to begin with and is aimed at novice RWD drivers (its much more forgiving than a real mechanical LSD)

So an open diff is a "catch all" setting to make the car easy to drive in all conditions for novice RWD drivers (broad appeal, forgiving nature)

If they released a Z with a real LSD more people would find themselves in situations they werent prepared for (which makes OEM lawyers hesitant)

As is the base + sport package is cheaper than previous Track models and is lighter apples to apples.

So attach the same equipment to a 350 and a 370 and youll see how the new car is cheaper, faster and lighter...its not lighter than a base car with dinky 17" wheels and narrow 245 rears and no side curtain airbags....you have to look at the details

I would like them to make a few options available on the Base (stereo) but as is their cost savings plan worked and at full sticker 33K for a track package Z is a DEAL....factor in the economy and the invoice price and soon below invoice deals and you can probably pick it up for LESS than 30K....

Look around at what 29K buys in new cars these days...in the realm of brand new sports cars an its a long stretch to another 6cyl sports car that performs like a Z...I would say in tough times that spells a win for Nissan

Unfortunately for those who do like the new Z our Z33s are losing resale value by the day....the economic conditions sped up the drop in value and its a tough pill to swall if your upside down by a significant margin...07 and 08 guys at least have the HR motors to upgrade the heads to VVEL....

As was said before...we all own Zs
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
JunkStory

if they could loosen up their packages or make limited slip standard on all models it could be a deal maker. But for me to pony up $40,000 for a car I paid $30,000 for in 2005 to get limited slip and Homelink® is a deal breaker.
+1000% I think LSD should be standard on all RWD cars (i.e. sport cars).

Quick Reply: My Review of the new 370Z