Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Road & Track: CaymanS vs. 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Gabe, chill man.

So far we haven't seen anything respectful from the 370z in times yet. I am sure like you say once people get them yes we will see better times, but it will be hard pressed to do that since the car does weigh more than a 350z did. 3350 lb for a base model 370z is heavy. The base 350z 07-08 weighed less than that. My NISMO is at 3325.
LOL just conversating...the weight+the fangs+cooling prob are the only things I'm not happy with the 370Z, other than that, its a bada$$ little car. Especially when they promised lower weight!......i was about to pull the trigger on a 370z this saturday since my 03 is paid off, but I heard some revisements are coming..so I will wait. I heard chris got a Nismo too
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Yep, Chris got a RED Nismo from Big Al. He could have gotten a 09, but he decided not too. I agree, I don't like the things you mentioned. I would put a different bumper on it fast if I had one and a oil cooler.

I never buy first year models, always wait for the 2nd year.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
HDPDZO6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I never buy first year models, always wait for the 2nd year.
I was curious as to why you didn't buy a 2006 HR Nismo... Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

lawl at some people saying 370Z > cayman S. How many of you would really choose the Z over the Cayman? I woudlnt. I love the Z, but the Cayman is an overall better car. The only advantage the Z has over the cayman is price.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And insurance and maintenance. I had a Targa and several different Z's. I will stay with the Z, if I wanted more hp, the the GTR would be my choice. Ant to everybody their own choice. I look at the costs of all, not just the cost of the vehicle though. They all are good looking vehicles when it comes to that department.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
I was curious as to why you didn't buy a 2006 HR Nismo... Thanks for clearing that up.

??
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 AM
WestRace

Originally Posted by aloh
The only advantage the Z has over the cayman is price.
You forgot the other advantage: faster around the track.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM
bear350z

Cool 370z vs Cayman S

Since I have owned a 2003 350z and and Cayman S since 2006 I can give everyone a pretty good perspective on these cars. I had the Z for a little more than a year, and it had about 14,000 miles on it when I traded it in. The Cayman has been my daily driver since 06 and has almost 40,000 miles on it! The car is 100% bullet-proof. NOTHING squeaks, rattles, or makes any other goofy noises. One never tires of the engine noise in the cabin, and it's not as bad as you would think for a long trip. My Z ate it's front tires at 8,000 miles, while the Cayman's lasted till about 30,000!! It's a light car guys. The Z's beautiful Daytona blue paint started to fade out on the plastic parts after 4 months, the Cayman's remains perfect. There were a few other problems with the Z that did get fixed, however a $34,000 car should NOT go thru any of that crap. On the other side, the Cayman's oil changes were $600.00, but had to be done every 20,000 miles. Synthetic oil. They will NOT service the car before 20,000 miles, tried it and got turned away. In other words, they stand behind their product.

I have driven the 370, and I love it as much as I love my Cayman or my 350. It is a great car, and a very worthy opponent to the Cayman S. Make no mistake, it really is. The 370 is not as light on it's feet as a Cayman, it's got more heft to it. It feels like a muscle car versus the Cayman's semi-exotic feel. It accelerates like a Cayman, HOWEVER it does NOT sound anything as nice as the Cayman. Sorry guys, not even close. It brakes as good as a Cayman, and the steering and shifter are damn close too. Sure you can let the Z heel n toe for you, but you can hang a Cayman's *** out sooo easy! LOL. Sadly for the Z, the new Cayman S is going to be an even better car. One where the Cayman is really tripping all over the 911. If you go against the new Cayman S with the PDK, you will be https://my350z.com/forum/images/smilies/owned.gif

Here is the bottom line: If you have the money, the Cayman is the better car. It has the better image, re-sell or trade-in, better built, and Porsche pedigree. Plus you'll be treated like gold when it's time for service. Alternatively, if you do not have (or want to spend that kind of money), then the 370 is the best way to go. It's an INCREDIBLE sports car value, runs around a track just as fast as the Cayman, has a respectable history of it's own, does very well at re-sell, and looks killer. I just hope that Nissan has addressed all of the quality issues with the 370. $40,000 for a loaded Z is cheap compared to the Porsche, but still too much money to have the issues that the 350 had. That vibration is one of the first things that needs to go!

Trust me, I love the 370 as much as any of you do (I will own one pretty soon), I'm only stating my personal experiences here. Don't hate me, I'm not knocking the Z, but I am talking facts about both cars. Besides, if anyone on these boards was told that they could have either car to keep for free, I'm sure a good bit of you would jump on the Cayman S. However when money is the issue, which it usually is, you can do no better than the 370Z!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
ChrisSlicks

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
You shouldn't substitute your opinion for science. A 3dB increase is a doubling of the sound intensity. It's very perceptible.
You are correct for electrical dB. However for audio dB the equation is 20xlog10 instead of 10xlog10 so a doubling of loudness is 6dB in the audio world.

However I totally agree that 3dB would be perceptibly louder.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Demon Z

Originally Posted by bear350z
Here is the bottom line: If you have the money, the Cayman is the better car. It has the better image, re-sell or trade-in, better built, and Porsche pedigree. Plus you'll be treated like gold when it's time for service. Alternatively, if you do not have (or want to spend that kind of money), then the 370 is the best way to go. It's an INCREDIBLE sports car value, runs around a track just as fast as the Cayman, has a respectable history of it's own, does very well at re-sell, and looks killer. I just hope that Nissan has addressed all of the quality issues with the 370. $40,000 for a loaded Z is cheap compared to the Porsche, but still too much money to have the issues that the 350 had. That vibration is one of the first things that needs to go!
Well put, lurker. People need to keep in mind that the Cayman S was a performance benchmark for the 370.... and not much more. They're in completely different price categories, so I'd be surprised to see anyone cross shopping these two cars. R&T's article was quite accurate, IMO, and the Cayman rightfully won the comparison, until you factor in price. I don't understand what all the arguing is about.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
You shouldn't substitute your opinion for science. A 3dB increase is a doubling of the sound intensity. It's very perceptible.
Sorry Scotty, you should check your facts on this one...

I have studied sound and have applied that work in multiple disciplines: Car audio builds, Amplifier (power) gains, speaker (acoustical) gains, passive audio filter builds. Telephone systems - message weighting filters, bell curves. Digital wideband communications: effective gain of a parabolic dish over an isotropic radiator, calculating line of sight signal loss based on shapes of obstacles versus power distribution in fresnel zones and refractive indexes. etc... I have been at it for a while.

I don't know where you got "A 3dB increase is a doubling of the sound intensity" from. Maybe the difference is semantics, but I think your wrong unless you are not saying it right. Sure, doubling the power or amplitude of an electrical signal will result in an acoustical gain of 3 decibels of sound pressure level through a speaker. It takes a 10db increase in sound pressure levels for the human ear to perceive something as being twice as loud.

My point was that a 1db increase is imperceptable - which it is, to the human ear - that's why they have to measure it - to make it objective versus subjective. Someone said 1db was a noticeable difference - which I don't agree with. I said a 3db increase was slightly noticeable.

We also don't know what frequency spectrum they were using to measure the noise inside the cabin, nor which frequency ranges were louder in one car versus the other. Making a general statement like - "interior was 1db louder" is silly. But it let's dumba$$ brag that their car is 1db quieter than another car - whatever It's like someone saying their car has two more HP than someone else's - who cares?

I could be wrong, but please show me a reference somewhere to support your statement...

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 03-03-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
RedSled

Originally Posted by aloh
lawl at some people saying 370Z > cayman S. How many of you would really choose the Z over the Cayman? I woudlnt. I love the Z, but the Cayman is an overall better car. The only advantage the Z has over the cayman is price.
I'd choose a 370Z over a Cayman in a heartbeat even if I had the cash for the Cayman. Why? Double the price for a slight increase in performance is not worth it. Sure, I'll be out of warranty, but I can just mod the hell out of the 370Z with the left over cash and have a nice track car, and probably still have coin to spare.

Then again, If I could afford a Cayman, chances are I'd just save up an extra 10K and just go for a GT-R or a C6 Z06.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Brandon26pdx

Originally Posted by RedSled

Then again, If I could afford a Cayman, chances are I'd just save up an extra 10K and just go for a GT-R or a C6 Z06.
Exactly. If you're one of the lucky few who can afford to spend Cayman S money on a car, would the Cayman S still be the obvious choice? IMO, no. There's lots of tempting alternatives in that price range. (Not so in the 370Z price range.)
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
35oZephyR

Call me a young buck, but I would not be drive a stock Cayman S.
It just looks so awkward left as-is, making it's resemblance to the boxster uncanny.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a Cayman S, but after what I want to do with it, prices dip into the Z06, GTR, 911 territory. Just my biased opinion for this thread.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
350z4steve

I had the 350z w/TT and have been in Cayman as well and for the money the 370Z is a better value than the Cayman..i dont see trying to justify paying more $$$ at all when the performance difference quite frankly isnt there. If I am going to pay upwards of 60K then the choice is simpler get GTR and it will romp over any porsche south of a GT2.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx
Exactly. If you're one of the lucky few who can afford to spend Cayman S money on a car, would the Cayman S still be the obvious choice? IMO, no. There's lots of tempting alternatives in that price range. (Not so in the 370Z price range.)
+111111111

Why would anyone spend double the cash and get the same performance?!? Doesnt make sense to me, for what, prestige? Give me a break, how is that sense of bought selfworth gonna feel when the 370z blows past you. like you said, having caymen money would open up a list of allot better cars. To me, for the price and performance the caymen is FAIL
Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Old Chuck

Bear350Z,
Thanks for the honest assessment on the Cayman S and the Z. I think from driving them both various times that you are correct. For me, the advantage of the Cayman is something that almost can't be put into words. It just feels right and there is nothing I would change while driving or as an afterthought. If money is a factor then the Z is the choice but if not the Cayman. If I were to cross shop with the Cayman it would most likely be the Vette. The vette does not have the quality but does have the fun factor in speed and power. One word. On the 20,000 mile maintence, Porsche is great about replacing the engines if needed while in warranty but if out of warranty you could be out close to 20 grand. Remember, if the engine only lasts till the warranty ends then Porsche is happy. I would change oil at least every 7-10,000 or once a year just to be safe. Most on P boards would advise this as well. Again, it is your car but these cars are not cheap to repair. Good luck and thanks for your honest thoughts.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Hokie Z

Originally Posted by gabez33
+111111111

Why would anyone spend double the cash and get the same performance?!? Doesnt make sense to me, for what, prestige? Give me a break, how is that sense of bought selfworth gonna feel when the 370z blows past you. like you said, having caymen money would open up a list of allot better cars. To me, for the price and performance the caymen is FAIL
everyone doesn't buy a car to go as fast as possible. The cayman is a very nice car, and I would spend the money on one in a heartbeat if I had it. It feels more... refined i guess. It's still my favorite car that I've driven. But for the money, yes the 370z is a good buy
Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
Bear350Z,
Thanks for the honest assessment on the Cayman S and the Z. I think from driving them both various times that you are correct. For me, the advantage of the Cayman is something that almost can't be put into words. It just feels right and there is nothing I would change while driving or as an afterthought. If money is a factor then the Z is the choice but if not the Cayman. If I were to cross shop with the Cayman it would most likely be the Vette. The vette does not have the quality but does have the fun factor in speed and power. One word. On the 20,000 mile maintence, Porsche is great about replacing the engines if needed while in warranty but if out of warranty you could be out close to 20 grand. Remember, if the engine only lasts till the warranty ends then Porsche is happy. I would change oil at least every 7-10,000 or once a year just to be safe. Most on P boards would advise this as well. Again, it is your car but these cars are not cheap to repair. Good luck and thanks for your honest thoughts.
The Cayman isnt the only P car that suffers from motor failures....

P cars are great for leasing...always under warranty and you can hand the keys back and not worry about taking a bath on resale...like most lux cars

I just think by keeping the Cayman under the 911's thumb in terms of power they are shooting themselves in the foot

I think more people would opt for the MR cayman with 911 powertrains if they sold them and they would in turn sell even more cars

By keeping the big gun powertrains only in the 911 I think they are paying tribute to it like its the end all porsche...while its timeless you have to let the people decide whats hot...not artifically keeping the chassis from reaching its limits with the bet you have

A cayman with a GT2 drivetrain would be interesting....I doubt porsche will ever build it but Im sure there are shops either doing it or plotting on it....

Just give us the goods and if it sells well let it go....if the 911 cant stand on its own then maybe its time has come...given the number of yuppies who think a 911 is gods chariot Im sure 911 sales in posh town USA wont be effected to much...for enthusiasts the Cayman will get world beating power in a better MR layout

And the cayman is expensive...no reason for it to be that pricey...but again...sometimes price has more to do with marketing and image than actual cost....double the cost for slightly better performance...fail

Like most have said though...if you have Cayman S money there are more attractive buys out there...unless your a posh town yuppie shopping for a badge...then your secrectly hating on the Ferrari F430 in the lane next to you...
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Old Chuck

Default SergEK

You are correct on your assessment that the Cayman/Boxster are not the only P car to suffer engine issues. All the 996 (911) do as well. The IMS and RMS have been problems for both models however, the Cayman/Boxster (986,987) do suffer more from the IMS due to the non support on the back of the engine. This causes downward pressure on the seals. This do not happen on all cars but on enough. They are well documented on the P boards. With the new Caymans and Boxsters (as well as 911), they have redesigned the engine and have dropped the IMS. Will be interesting to see if they can design a care without issues...

Quick Reply: Road & Track: CaymanS vs. 370Z