Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Got an '09 base w/ sport package

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I've got some more miles and I've been running her hard. I guess you can say the break-in is complete.

Man this engine really isn't smooth at high RPM. In everyday driving it's as smooth as silk. Once you get into the real powerband.... it feels like the damn thing is about to fly apart. And I just thought the DE was rough at high RPM. There's no comparison. I'm not really complaining tho, it still ****'s-and-gits....

I'm hoping to take it to the dragstrip tomorrow and see what kind of times I can lay down. It's been raining ever since I got the car so it may have to wait. Curious to see if I can match my old modded times. My track is 1050ft above sea level and is notorious for horrible track prep... so our times are always going to be a bit slower than some of the faster tracks. My old Z would typically run around 14.1 @ 99mph stock... With my mods I was running 13.6 @ 104mph(never got a chance to run it with the lighter flywheel). So I guess I'm shooting for a 13.6 @ 104 or faster. Time will tell.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
WestRace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!! Good write up.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
06Gcoupin

Originally Posted by roast
So I've got some more miles and I've been running her hard. I guess you can say the break-in is complete.

Man this engine really isn't smooth at high RPM. In everyday driving it's as smooth as silk. Once you get into the real powerband.... it feels like the damn thing is about to fly apart. And I just thought the DE was rough at high RPM. There's no comparison. I'm not really complaining tho, it still ****'s-and-gits....

I'm hoping to take it to the dragstrip tomorrow and see what kind of times I can lay down. It's been raining ever since I got the car so it may have to wait. Curious to see if I can match my old modded times. My track is 1050ft above sea level and is notorious for horrible track prep... so our times are always going to be a bit slower than some of the faster tracks. My old Z would typically run around 14.1 @ 99mph stock... With my mods I was running 13.6 @ 104mph(never got a chance to run it with the lighter flywheel). So I guess I'm shooting for a 13.6 @ 104 or faster. Time will tell.
No matter what Nissan does, they cannot seem to get the roughness out of the VQ. The VQ is a damn efficient motor, but its always been rough at high revs. VVEL or not, its the nature of the beast.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM
latiger12

Originally Posted by WestRace
Congrats!!! Good write up.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://nfledge.net/?tracker=3759"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://nfledge.net/?tracker=3759" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
Yep, thanks, nice read!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
nismology1

Originally Posted by 06Gcoupin
No matter what Nissan does, they cannot seem to get the roughness out of the VQ. The VQ is a damn efficient motor, but its always been rough at high revs. VVEL or not, its the nature of the beast.
The VQ30 was pretty darn smooth all the way up to 7500+ RPM (with rev limit extension).
Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
wierdoazndude

damn that thing is sexy. Nice pick up
Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice thread OP, please keep us updated.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
roast

You want an update??

It's rained EVERY SINGLE DAY since the day after I got the car. I washed it twice with pressure washers and needless to say it's FILTHY. It's a shame. I'll be giving it a complete facial as soon as the weather clears up and take some more pictures.

Last night I got in a fight with my girlfriend at the movie theater.... we ended up leaving in the middle of the movie. I made a silly joke that she made a federal case out of and completely ruined the night. Complete beyotch. Right as we left.... a severe thunderstorm just started to roll in. I was at a red light in the middle lane when the hail started. Luckily for me there was a closed gas station across the street. I looked both ways, ran the red light, and darted under the cover. A few seconds later cars from every direction piled in. Disaster averted! This car has a lot more aluminum than the older Z's and will be a lot more susceptible to hail damage. I never thought I'd be so happy about the girlfriend... soon to be ex... being such a miserable person. Had we not left early it wouldn't have been pretty!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM
quiksilver38

excellent color choice!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM
T'S 350Z

Took a few quick pictures. I came from a gutted & lightly modded '04.5 base that I daily drove and tracked. Had it for 5 years and decided to upgrade. I haven't had any fun in the new toy yet, but I don't think it's going to disappoint. I'll update with my first impressions... comparisons... etc.

I'll take some better pictures soon.

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2798617...7617358508109/
Roast, can you tell me what is that dark glass on the rear bottom between the pipes?????????
Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by T'S 350Z
Roast, can you tell me what is that dark glass on the rear bottom between the pipes?????????
It's a non-functional rear foglight that Nissan didn't remove for the US version.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Roast, sorry about the lady troubles at least you have a cool car to occupy your time.

What are your experiences with fit and finish? Any weird noises or squeaks?

Also, how do you like the paddle shifters?

Btw, stay away from high pressure washers when washing your car. You really should be washing it with a gentle stream only.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Ven

This is a nice picture.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
roast

no paddle shifters it's a manual...

No weird noises inside either...

The fit and finish on the inside is muchhh better than the previous gen...

Now that it's broke in and I've been giving it hell... my main gripe is the handling/suspension... I'm used to my 2004.5 that was very stiff front to back and side to side (then I let the alpine play?).... this car feels like a buick in comparison... especially from a dig and at high speed sweeping turns... My other Z stayed very flat and steady... this car feels like it's floating around the high speed sweepers... it still stays glued but the feeling is just different and a little less confidence inspiring... from a dig the front end lifts very high.... and then when you shift it dives way down.... which is part of the reason it bites so hard from a dig... all that weight transfer to the back.... but I'm not much into drag racing/stoplight racing... so it's not so much of a good thing for me.

I finally got a chance to give it a light clarybar + polish + wax.... damn it looks good. I'll take some more pictures soon
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

no paddle shifters it's a manual...

No weird noises inside either...

The fit and finish on the inside is muchhh better than the previous gen...

Now that it's broke in and I've been giving it hell... my main gripe is the handling/suspension... I'm used to my 2004.5 that was very stiff front to back and side to side (then I let the alpine play?).... this car feels like a buick in comparison... especially from a dig and at high speed sweeping turns... My other Z stayed very flat and steady... this car feels like it's floating around the high speed sweepers... it still stays glued but the feeling is just different and a little less confidence inspiring... from a dig the front end lifts very high.... and then when you shift it dives way down.... which is part of the reason it bites so hard from a dig... all that weight transfer to the back.... but I'm not much into drag racing/stoplight racing... so it's not so much of a good thing for me.

I finally got a chance to give it a light clarybar + polish + wax.... damn it looks good. I'll take some more pictures soon

My bad on the paddle question, I totally spaced on that one.

NWA Reference FTW!!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
mrmixitup

thanks fellas...

it's been raining and/or really crappy outside ever since those pictures were taken... so the photoshoot will have to wait until it clears up.

I didnt trade the old one in... found it a new home for it first.

So... I've been gradually breaking the car in... about 700 miles on it so far. Started with a lot of mild-moderate acceleration and engine braking to get a good seal. Gradually started getting a little more aggressive with it. Still haven't went ***** out through every gear, yet.

Visual impressions. So when I very first saw pictures of this car... I was a bit turned off honestly. After seeing the car in person.. I liked it better and thought what the hell, why not... after owning it for a few days... damn it's growing on me fast. The more I look at it the more I appreciate and love it.

SynchroRev Match. Before I tried it, I thought I would hate it and never use it. I'm a bit of a purist, and love heel-toe downshifting. Being able to do it properly, whenever you want, in whatever situation calls for it, is not only a skill but an art. After I started playing with the new feature, I have yet to turn it off. It matches the RPM perfectly every time. It's pretty damn cool to say the least. My only concern is what kind of bad habits it may lead to, on or off the track. I also wonder how this feature will be affected when a lightweight flywheel is used.

Handling. The car feels entirely different than the 350s. So much different I wasn't very comfortable with it at first. My last Z had a race weight (without me) of around 3050lbs. It was light and pretty damn nimble for having an entirely stock suspension down to the tire. This car of course feels heavier than what I'm used to (nissans claims feel about right). It will get weighed soon enough. The VDC is a drag. I'm not used to the fun being interrupted, but with all the slick roads I've been leaving it on for the most part. Overall it feels really good and well balanced. I can definitely feel the bigger tires on the road, especially when corning on a bumpy road. Not too much to say on handling as I haven't tracked it yet and probably won't get too carried away on the streets.

Acceleration. Low end torque is vastly improved in the 370. While it doesn't seem to have the same peak torque, the area under the curve seems greatly improved and smoothed out. I guess I would have to look at a dyno to confirm, but that's what my butt tells me. Gearing is the same with the exception to the final drive being a little shorter for the increased red line. First gear will really catapult you. My old Z was lightened a lot in the rear, on 245s, so traction was a big issue(not to mention open differential). Not the case in the 370 with the sport package. It bites a LOT harder, no questions asked.

Speed limiter? If it's still at 159mph on the speedo, that would be a shame. My 350 didn't have any problems pegging it up and down hills. Why put 180mph on the speedometer if the car isn't capable of it without an ecu flash? Just to show you how fast it SHOULD go? Seems ridiculous to me. Once the car is fully broken in and I get a good chance I'll report back on the top speed.

Shifting. Oohhhhh so much better. MUCH smoother. 2nd gear doesn't CLUNK anymore. No hint of synchros not doing their job either, so far. The throw seems slightly longer. Overall a great improvement.

Braking. I didn't bed the brakes in yet, so I can't really comment on lack of braking despite having big brakes.

I love the push button and keyless entry. I keep finding myself digging for my keys, then right about the time I pull them out, going "DOH!" The buzzer sound is pretty cool too, instead of the horn.

The radio. Why the hell doesn't it show you whats playing? My ex girlfriends '08 nissan sentra that was a rental had this. I'm not a big audiophile, it just seems like a $2 feature that should have been added, if for no other reason than just because.

I love the gauges. I always hated the orange overload in the 350. The reflection on the windshield is kind of annoying though. The subtle ambient orange light is kinda cool. The maintenance alerts and custom alerts are a nice feature. The leather steering wheel feels great. I'm not crazy about the seats. They don't seem to hug me as well as the 350's, especially my upper body. I guess too many fat asses complained. There is also a HUGE blind spot. The side view mirrors are naturally angled to give you 3 fully functional rear view mirrors. (absolutely unacceptable in my opinion). They're not able to be angled to the blind spots where they're supposed to be.

The gas filler is in a really awkward spot and you have to be really careful with the pump. The last 350z had all sorts of fuel issues. It's like fuel is a complete afterthought with these cars. I don't like having to push on the paint to open the fuel door either.

Overheating? I can see this being a problem already. The temp gauge is all over the place. I've seen 240 so far and I've been being nice!! In my 350, once warmed up, my temp gauge never budged... even on 100 degree track days.

So those are my first impressions. Sorry if I've reinvented the wheel here with my comments... these are just my personal impressions that other people may have had, or not.

Best review I've seen yet. Everyone should read this. Your comments about hating it at first but liking it in person were my exact sentiments. I'm also concerned about getting too used to the sychro-whatever-shift.