Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Cop magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got pulled over for driving threw a naboorhood with speed bumps (that i almost scrape on so i have to come to almost a dead stop to not hit them and there like 20 feet apart) just because he thought i wasn't wearing a seatbelt. which i do always wear (in FL its a $100 ticket) i had on a white t shirt and i have black seat belts so there is no way he could not see it. i am also 18 and drive a red 350z and he had to call for backup and get another cop car there to make sure i was wearing my seatbelt. 15 minuits later ok heres your ID back your good to go.

3rd day of owning the car too. cops in my town suck.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:38 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

There are many things that can affect your odds of getting pulled over. Car color, driving style, exhaust, age, time of day, etc.

You should definately get a laser and radar detector, and be mindfull of your surroundings at all times.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCat
There are many things that can affect your odds of getting pulled over. Car color, driving style, exhaust, age, time of day, etc.

You should definately get a laser and radar detector, and be mindfull of your surroundings at all times.
+1

heck, after work i got workout at the gym... i slip back into my scrubs for the drive home. what your wearing does affect things i think. i've been let go because of my scrubs before also. which at the time i had a b15 spec V with an loud ricer exhaust. lol
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by JCat

BS on the color of the vehicle. I drive a bright red Vette and have yet to be pulled over in it after almost 3 years of owning it.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Z33_kid

cough cough... race
Old 07-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

so you don't think a brighter color draws any more attention? it's not going to get you pulled over, your actions will get you pulled over, but you don't think a cop would be quicker to notice a brighter color?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:05 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Entaille
so you don't think a brighter color draws any more attention? it's not going to get you pulled over, your actions will get you pulled over, but you don't think a cop would be quicker to notice a brighter color?
I believe how stupid one drives determines if they get pulled over or not. As I said, I have yet to be pulled over. I have to drive thru a small town every day to get to work, one that is notorious for being extremely strict, and have had no problems.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Entaille

understood and agreed, I am just curious if you think color has absolutely no effect on getting noticed
Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Entaille
understood and agreed, I am just curious if you think color has absolutely no effect on getting noticed
Of course any color other than medium tones will stand out. That's instinctive with humans. That isn't the issue here though. The discussion is about the make of a vehicle, which morphed into color affecting the chance an individual has to being pulled over. I don't believe that one bit. Driving habits determines if you get pulled over. If color did in fact increase your chances, then insurance companies would definitely charge more based on the color of the vehicle.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker01
You're probably right they don't care what colour your car is. But picture this: on a bright sunny day a cop is sitting behind 4 lane hill hitting cars coming over with the rader. He can't get all of them at once so he has to select who he is going to hit. Two 350Z come over the hill, one is silverstone the other is nagaro red, which one do you think he is going to shoot first?

So you're asking for it a bit more by drivng a bright car, but like you said if you aren't doing anything wrong then you won't get pulled over anyways.
Both...
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
flintgauge

As an Officer, I know I've always clocked whoever was way ahead of the "pack"... The front car could be white and have twenty red cars behind it and I will still always check that one first. Personally, changing lanes is what grabs my attention the quickest. Especially multiple lane changes in a short period of time (i.e. weaving).

As others have said before. It's all about driving style. Fast lane changes, hard acceleration, tailgating, loud exhausts and loud music will all get you attention. Sure the color might help you stand out if you are driving next to a more plain color car going the same speed. But driving like and idiot and breaking the law sure gets my attention.

I have had my 350Z for 3 years now and have never been pulled over in it. It does not matter that I am in Law Enforcement. I haven't ever been pulled over so I have never been let off easy.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
flintgauge

Oh, and since I own a Z, Z's in my area get extra attention, and not all bad mind you. I am looking out for us small cars and bikers too...

Let me say this as well, if I saw a mini van and a sports car both going the same speed, but 15 over the speed limit, I would pull the van over first, because I believe the van poses more of a threat to itself and other drivers

1. it can carry more people= more injured
2. bigger vehicle weighs more= cause more damage and injuries to others
3. less stable=high speed equals greater risk and less control

Maybe you agree Kutnupe14?

Last edited by flintgauge; 07-05-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Entaille

that is a great mentality to have (no sarcasm)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM
madpanda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol cop magnets.
Personally I have only been pulled over twice in my Z for the past 4 years I have owned it. The first time it was a dike cop in WA just trying to create revenue, pulled over on payday when I was military which is a common practice near some military installations, got away cause I kept cool.
The second time was in CA when I had no front or rear plates waiting on some veteran plates. The cop let me off immediately once I told him what was up. He even complimented my Z, and this was when I had an SBC on the Z needless to say I was shocked.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Ziggy86
Banned

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Basically cops know you are not 23 because you are not acting like a 23 year old.
I am 23..... what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I am the responsible driver, I never street race, bump loud music, I always take it to the track. It's BS additudes like that that cause the idea that ALL young drivers are irrisponsible and that effects alot of young drivers negatively. Way you are treated, insurance rates, the list goes on.....

Statistically im sure most stupid things happen to younger drivers because older drivers know better then to drive like a fool. But don't bash someone because of there age... bash them on there actions!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
lyork92

cops have a 6th sense about them, they know when you're up to no good.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
TwanZ°

the way you drive does play a part in but so does race, loud music it still comes down to profiling in some cases even more so that your driving a Z
Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't break the law, LOL.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Elan

Just don't do dumb things and they won't give you a problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Lightemup

Smile Cops love 'em

I was waiting at a light yesterday to turn into the county sheriff's office (to get my pistol permit amended) when a deputy pulled out. He drove the turn very slowly, looking over my Z from stem to stern. Honestly, I think it was admiration, not threatening.

Quick Reply: Cop magnet?