Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z 7 spd auto faster than 6 mt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 12:35 PM
fabcas311

corners,straight.etc..etc.....MT is always fun to drive
i own an AT Z before..i will never ever get an AT sports car.PERIOD!................
Old 09-29-2009 | 03:50 PM
boosted475

Originally Posted by StevieZ
(of course MT is more fun & even more so with the SynchroRev).
aww man.. it used to be a thing of pride to perfect rev-matching, double clutching, etc..

just like how people want to shift with a clutch instead of paddles, I want to match my own revs while downshifting
Old 09-29-2009 | 04:29 PM
savvy

I love Tranny's....oh my bad this is a car forum
Old 09-29-2009 | 06:03 PM
Z33_kid

not this type of thread again
Old 09-29-2009 | 06:13 PM
SatchScream

Originally Posted by boosted475
I want to match my own revs while downshifting
+ Infinity.

I hate the rev match-up crap.
Old 09-29-2009 | 06:25 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

To me if you take away driving skill & the ability for the driver to actually manipulate the car, you might as well be playing a video game. For that reason, I do not enjoy AT or computer overrides on my sport cars.
Old 09-29-2009 | 10:12 PM
TittieZ

Originally Posted by zland
To me if you take away driving skill & the ability for the driver to actually manipulate the car, you might as well be playing a video game. For that reason, I do not enjoy AT or computer overrides on my sport cars.
+1, there's nothing like a MT in any sports car. "Slapping" to shift down or up is nothing like having to match the RPMs with a real clutch. Paddle shifters=no fun whatsoever...
Old 09-30-2009 | 04:47 AM
Mikie13

Originally Posted by boosted475
aww man.. it used to be a thing of pride to perfect rev-matching, double clutching, etc..

just like how people want to shift with a clutch instead of paddles, I want to match my own revs while downshifting
^This. Rev matching to downshift nice and swiftly is a skill. I respect that Nissan is trying to "improve" that part of driving to make for better ergonomics and perhaps even help the clutch/transmission last longer...but it really would take away from the driving experience for me...

^Agreed as well. Once I got old enough to realize what driving consisted of, I began playing all my Need for Speed and Gran Turismo video games in "Manual Transmission" mode as opposed to the usual Automatic...just because you had more control

Originally Posted by TittieZ
+1, there's nothing like a MT in any sports car. "Slapping" to shift down or up is nothing like having to match the RPMs with a real clutch. Paddle shifters=no fun whatsoever...
I believe that even started when they started making tiptronic automatics and crap...where you could have a "manual" mode. I had friends that would say "yo man, i have that tiptronic, its like manual, right?" Umm...no. NO CLUTCH SMART GUY! That and the fact that it still took about 1 full second for the tranny to shift once you "shifted" with the tiptronic...NO. Fun. At. All.
Old 09-30-2009 | 04:56 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
Premier Member

not relevant we want bragging rights...who's faster

however much you preach this with passion, and how I agree with every word...more 7spdAT/GTRs/losers in our future...
Old 09-30-2009 | 07:48 AM
yoshe77

Originally Posted by savvy
AT tranny
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:21 AM
SnyzzleZ

impressive.

but I think I would still go with the MT
Old 09-30-2009 | 12:51 PM
lugrug

Originally Posted by Mikie13

I believe that even started when they started making tiptronic automatics and crap...where you could have a "manual" mode. I had friends that would say "yo man, i have that tiptronic, its like manual, right?" Umm...no. NO CLUTCH SMART GUY! That and the fact that it still took about 1 full second for the tranny to shift once you "shifted" with the tiptronic...NO. Fun. At. All.
Part of the new 7AT's speed is a full shift in 500 milliseconds. A good rower can beat that, but not by much.
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:35 PM
davidv

Oh boy. A Manual vs Automatic thread.
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:44 PM
rockinbboy

shouldn't this be in the 370Z forum?
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:53 PM
WhiteNoiz

Interesting, I was wondering if it would be faster the first time I read about the 7 speed.
Old 10-05-2009 | 08:50 AM
medic165

I love and hate my 6MT on my Z.....but next Z will be auto so the wife can finally drive it too.
Old 10-05-2009 | 09:12 AM
Escobar

Originally Posted by savvy
Old 10-05-2009 | 10:19 AM
Ataru074

but is a common knowledge that today the people wants everything and now. and they don't want to "invest" to improve their skills.
learning how to drive a car built 30 years ago was a matter of life OR death if was somehow called "sport car".
a bmw 2002i, a 2.4 911 porsche, an E30 M3, MG's... lotus... all cars where the price for going fast and not knowing what the hell you're doing was the life.

now "everybody" WANTS to be able to drive a 500HP car without learning or without paying the respect that kind of power requires.

sorry for the rant.

but **** me off when I have to spend extra money because all cars are designed with built in understeer to allow less idiots to kill themselves, I have to hope that the electronic nanny is going to be completely defeatable, and the designers have spent time on how to make the car "fast and easy" instead of "fast and sharp"
Old 10-05-2009 | 11:06 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by lugrug
Part of the new 7AT's speed is a full shift in 500 milliseconds. A good rower can beat that, but not by much.
I don't know why, but Nissan severely underrates that stat. The 5AT and 7AT transmissions shift a lot faster than that - something closer to .200-.250.

I guess Nissan doesn't want to advertise a lower shift-time figure so as to not kill sales of the 6MT.

That said, I am slowly warming up to the idea of a 370Z (White or Red, other colors look kinda ugly), but with a 6MT. I feel like Nissan has made enough changes to the manual transmission for it not to suck anymore, like the 350Z's MT.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 10-05-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2009 | 11:57 AM
Gee.Janus

yeah, its one of those us vs. them scenarious...MT vs AT.

for what its worth I can not get my head around having a sports car with AT. You might as well have a chauffeur.

When I test drove the Z , the dealer had an AT demo only and I had a chance to play with the AT and the paddles. I can see why 70 - 80% of people will go for the AT, its reasonably ok. sort of. But then again 70 - 70% of people can not drive properly.

At the end of the test drive my only thought was "it just confirms why I dont like AT". It shifted up too soon, was not as smooth in downshifting even with the Synchromesh.

As for 0 - 100, it is far more likely on the street that a better driver will squeeze more out of the MT than some dufus wannabe in an AT.

As for magazines, I've seen that the Z will do 0 -100 kph in anything from 4.9 s to 5.3s, depending on which magazine, which driver etc. (I'm assuming that the configuration is the same from country to country which it probably is'nt due to various regulatory differences in emmissions, noise etc.)

As calif. has the most demanding regulations thats the benchmark that I'd use for 0-100

Anyway, its all good guys, AT or MT. Just enjoy it.

G

Quick Reply: 370Z 7 spd auto faster than 6 mt