Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Nissan 370z vs Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM
mkaresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall costs are usually much lower for a used car.

The #1 reason for depreciation in the first year is that everyone would prefer a new, "virgin" car for a used one.

Second is age and the threat of repair costs, but these costs are small in the first 5-7 years compared to depreciation.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Lightemup

Smile 370Z alternatives

I looked at a used Elise for about what I paid from a new Z. Didn't care for it. Sure, they're fast and handle like a go-cart, but the interior looks like a kit car. Plus, I had to stand in the seat to get in or out of it. (That would suck on a rainy day in a muddy parking lot.)

The Z has a much nicer cabin, actual storage space for a weekend away and goes like hell. Choice was a no-brainer for me.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Gee.Janus

"Buying a new car is almost always one of the most stupid financial moves anyone can make".

I don't see how you can make this stmt. I know plenty of worse things u can spend your $ on. Like gambling, drugs, ... Its only stupid if u can't afford it.

What do you want...the manufacturers to make all their cars 'used cars' . Hey there's an idea! This years model we'll shelve it for a few years, drive it around the plant a few hundred times and then sell 'em 2nd hand.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 AM
suquisqui

Yep, agree with this advice. This sounds to me like something that should be advertised on the back cover of a comic book. If you're not getting a good feeling about the boss, it's time to leave.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
sandthepilot

Originally Posted by dhays
It doesn't sound like you have really figured out what you want out of a car. Decide that first, then pick the best car that matches your needs.

Ask yourself these questions:
1) Would this be your second car?
If you have another more practical car to drive and are looking for something fun and different, then go ahead with the Elise. They are uncomfortable, loud, small, and most likely expensive to maintain (but I'm guessing on that last one). Watching an Elise run through an Autocross course is incredible however. The 370Z might be a better car however if you are over about 5'11" and like a few conveniences in your cars.

If this will not be a second car, don't consider the Elise at all and you should stay away from the Z as well. A RWD two seat sports car is simply impractical for too many of life's requirements. A Mazdaspeed3 would make a great car for someone as a solo car. It is fast, fun, handles well, and is reliable. It gives you the practicality of a hatch.
2) Do you have money to burn?
Buying a new car is almost always one of the most stupid financial moves anyone can make. If money is simply not an issue and you will pay cash for the car, then don't worry about it. For most of us, money is a limited asset. Buying a new car you take a huge depreciation hit. If you finance it is is even worse as you will quickly owe more on the car than what it is worth. In this, the Elise has the advantage as it is used. A used MS3 (if you can find a good one) or RX8 would be good choices as would a used 350Z.
Speaking of money, are you prepared for the insurance costs? A 370 or Elise will be expensive to insure. A MS3, RX8, or Si will be a lot less expensive.
3) Have you driven RWD cars before?
A RWD car drives differently than a FWD car. If you haven't had the experience that is fine, but make sure you understand that you don't and take it easy if you get a Z or Elise. FWD is a lot more forgiving
4) Do you get much rain or snow?
Your from CA but don't say where. If it snows where you are, and you don't have another car, don't get the Z, Elise, or RX8. That would be just asking for trouble. The MS3 would be a good choice. Rain isn't a big deal (unless you are SoCal driver, then for some reason it is) but rain can be a problem with a soft top.
5) Are you a 16 year old kid whose folks are going to buy the car for you?
If so, buy a used Civic Si. The car is reliable, fun to drive, easy to mod without breaking the bank, and no great loss if you wrap it around a tree.
Don't discount the RX8. It is a great car that is reliable if it is maintained properly. A rotary is a lot of fun to drive and the car's handling is much better than the Z. It also has the benefit of back seats (sort of).
1) Rates are very low especially if you have good-excellent credit. I got my 370Z with a 4.99% rate going to re-finance in 6 months for 3.99%. I'm 6'1 1/2" and have plenty of room.

2) You can always pay more monthly for the principle rather than the interest rate. Most of the time you'll be paying about 5K extra in interest alone. Insurance obviously depends on many things, mine is at $106 a month for full coverage. Everyone's insurance rate is different.

3) Anyone can handle a RWD vehicle if they are not stupid and try to show off.

4) If you live in Oregon like me and dealt with the arctic blast, take the bus if you can or carpool with a buddy who has a 4X4 or even better buy a beater 4X4.

5) I really hope that he is not 16...too much power for a young adult.

Basically, if someone has good credit, money, and good driving record then they should be fine. 370Z all the way, no Elise!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
domsaywha

Decide what you are looking for.....
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Zhivago

I have an '08 350 Nismo and an '07 Elise. There are assets and liabilities to each. I like both cars, just for different reasons. The Lotus is fine for me as a DD except when it's over 90-95 degrees outside.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 AM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

370z and lotus elise are fine cars. i think on avg. you would waste $10 more every time you fill the Z. but 10$ is not that much... extra $40 a month...

but insurance will be way different.... ask your insurance agent.

anyways.. cheap maintenance would be civic Si...I had honda civic for almost 5 years... bought brand new... and she didnt even give me a single problem. her last known mileage was 150k... I only did oil change for her every 4-4.5k fully synthetic.. i didnt even have 30k or 60k... or anything ... ahhaha i did flush the tranny when she reached 100k tho... but it is a very reliable car...

Anyways, if u plan on having a family anytime soon.. i would go with the Civic... Think about it...dont regret after u already bought the car.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Word Sux

**** if your looking for an all year round daily driver thats fast and practicle then why not an evo or sti? I know thats may very well be blasphemy on this forum but they really are the perfect all year round dd especially ifyou live in an area that gets snow and you can get a used one for under 20k
Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 PM
orangeflash

Last edited by orangeflash; 11-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Elise, IMO, is pointless as a daily driver, unless you literally just use it to drive around. There is little to offer in terms of creature comforts and cargo space. They are not practical for much else aside from tracking/autx-crossing.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
ezowner

I have an elise as a second car. I had a 350Z before and am planning to get a 370Z. Let me know if you have any questions about elise or/and z.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I have only test driven the 370, but I have driven an Elise on the track. I have driven a lot of fast cars on the track and the Elise is the only street-legal car that I love to drive but would never own. (unless it was only for the track)

The Elise is a great tool for driving, but getting in and out of that thing was the worst PITA. (I'm 5' 10" and 175lbs)
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Hexxus
Buy the Civic Si.

You'll live to see 21.

Maybe.
luuulllzzz

i vote 370z the lotus' front end is ***