Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Nissan 370z vs Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
xAbre1200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan 370z vs Lotus Elise

If you could have either a brand new Nissan 370z or a used Lotus Elise, which would you choose?

I'm looking to buy a car under $29,000-30,000 and I've narrowed it down to these 2 cars.

Pros of the 370z would be that it's new, bigger trunk, more comfortable
Cons would be the poor fuel economy

Pros the Elise would be the aggressive look, exotic car status, small/nimble
Cons would be the soft top not able to withstand rain, and it would be used

I was also thinking about a Mazda RX8, Mazda Speed3, or a Civic Si
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

depends what you going to use it for. I would love to get an elise also but i think it doesnt have power steering,no radio, and probably loud inside so it really wouldnt be that great of a DD car. As for the 370, i guess it has more creature comforts. besides gas isnt really that bad depending on how you drive the car. As for the others, i wouldnt really consider imo
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me, you don't have another commuter car.

In that case, any of the choices below will do...

Originally Posted by xAbre1200
Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
DB350

370 is new, possibly some quirks to work out.

Elise is prettymuch purely sports car, barely any luxury options (correct me if i'm wrong)

RX-8 has doo-doo reliability and performance, but handles really good

Speed3 has massssive torque steer, but apparently quite reliable stock, good aftermarket already, and factory turboed

I myself was looking at the civic si's. They are probably among the top in practicality of your list, but near bottom of performance. Has a low powerband so you have to get it into 5800 rpm to actually feel any speed, and any lower then that it feels like a granny. The tranny's suck too.

Feel free to add or correct to my speculations anyone
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Tomek350Z

Originally Posted by DB350
370 is new, possibly some quirks to work out.

Elise is prettymuch purely sports car, barely any luxury options (correct me if i'm wrong)

RX-8 has doo-doo reliability and performance, but handles really good

Speed3 has massssive torque steer, but apparently quite reliable stock, good aftermarket already, and factory turboed

I myself was looking at the civic si's. They are probably among the top in practicality of your list, but near bottom of performance. Has a low powerband so you have to get it into 5800 rpm to actually feel any speed, and any lower then that it feels like a granny. The tranny's suck too.

Feel free to add or correct to my speculations anyone
i agree, the Si feels weird as hell to drive, theres like no feedback with the clutch compared to my 350. and lack of power doesnt help
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Non of these cars are even in the same class as the 370z, or elise, major fail.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you could have either a brand new Nissan 370z or a used Lotus Elise, which would you choose?

I'm looking to buy a car under $29,000-30,000 and I've narrowed it down to these 2 cars.

teen?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
xAbre1200

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
teen?
Haha, I wish. I'm 20 but can still pass for a 17 yr old
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can't compare a 370Z and a Lotus Elise. That's a daily driveable sports car vs a glorified go cart.

You should be asking - should I buy a 370Z or an Elise for the track and a Honda beater to drive daily?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
dhays

It doesn't sound like you have really figured out what you want out of a car. Decide that first, then pick the best car that matches your needs.

Ask yourself these questions:
1) Would this be your second car?
If you have another more practical car to drive and are looking for something fun and different, then go ahead with the Elise. They are uncomfortable, loud, small, and most likely expensive to maintain (but I'm guessing on that last one). Watching an Elise run through an Autocross course is incredible however. The 370Z might be a better car however if you are over about 5'11" and like a few conveniences in your cars.

If this will not be a second car, don't consider the Elise at all and you should stay away from the Z as well. A RWD two seat sports car is simply impractical for too many of life's requirements. A Mazdaspeed3 would make a great car for someone as a solo car. It is fast, fun, handles well, and is reliable. It gives you the practicality of a hatch.
2) Do you have money to burn?
Buying a new car is almost always one of the most stupid financial moves anyone can make. If money is simply not an issue and you will pay cash for the car, then don't worry about it. For most of us, money is a limited asset. Buying a new car you take a huge depreciation hit. If you finance it is is even worse as you will quickly owe more on the car than what it is worth. In this, the Elise has the advantage as it is used. A used MS3 (if you can find a good one) or RX8 would be good choices as would a used 350Z.
Speaking of money, are you prepared for the insurance costs? A 370 or Elise will be expensive to insure. A MS3, RX8, or Si will be a lot less expensive.
3) Have you driven RWD cars before?
A RWD car drives differently than a FWD car. If you haven't had the experience that is fine, but make sure you understand that you don't and take it easy if you get a Z or Elise. FWD is a lot more forgiving
4) Do you get much rain or snow?
Your from CA but don't say where. If it snows where you are, and you don't have another car, don't get the Z, Elise, or RX8. That would be just asking for trouble. The MS3 would be a good choice. Rain isn't a big deal (unless you are SoCal driver, then for some reason it is) but rain can be a problem with a soft top.
5) Are you a 16 year old kid whose folks are going to buy the car for you?
If so, buy a used Civic Si. The car is reliable, fun to drive, easy to mod without breaking the bank, and no great loss if you wrap it around a tree.
Don't discount the RX8. It is a great car that is reliable if it is maintained properly. A rotary is a lot of fun to drive and the car's handling is much better than the Z. It also has the benefit of back seats (sort of).
Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the Civic Si.

You'll live to see 21.

Maybe.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Mb350z

speed3
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Ep3

i vote ms3, best all around and lightly modded will be faster than most...cons its wrong wheel drive
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
xenonZ

get a used 350z? 07+ with the HR? i would go that route/ save you money + still all the goodies you want
Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
hellsoldiers08

Hey you can still get good mpg with a Z, i get 22 with 75% city and 25% highway= 300miles to a tank .O, almost forgot to add 28mpg on high way about 70mph.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
zipgun

20 y/o All grown up eh?

When it comes to insurance on a Z, Elise or any type car for that matter.. Anyone under 25 is still a teen.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
BingPWR

I've been looking at the 370z also, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the car for me. I love how it looks, but coming from a 4 door commuter sedan, I don't know if I can live my life with a 2 seater sports car. I may have to go with a g37 or maybe even a subie
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 AM
De La Money

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
You can't compare a 370Z and a Lotus Elise. That's a daily driveable sports car vs a glorified go cart.

You should be asking - should I buy a 370Z or an Elise for the track and a Honda beater to drive daily?
CO-SIGN AMIGO.

also buying new is STUPID. why are you asking to lose 8 stacks after you leave the loft, and FINANCE??????

just buy a used FD rx7 and a Civic. best of both worlds. you can have the rx7 as your touge beast which will out handle ANY Z on this forum when modded right and have your beater EG/EK hatch civic for gas mileage. sounds like a win to me. you can get both cars for under 15k!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Nexx

and that's a good thing?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Boostedtrack350

Originally Posted by dhays
It doesn't sound like you have really figured out what you want out of a car. Decide that first, then pick the best car that matches your needs.

Ask yourself these questions:
1) Would this be your second car?
If you have another more practical car to drive and are looking for something fun and different, then go ahead with the Elise. They are uncomfortable, loud, small, and most likely expensive to maintain (but I'm guessing on that last one). Watching an Elise run through an Autocross course is incredible however. The 370Z might be a better car however if you are over about 5'11" and like a few conveniences in your cars.

If this will not be a second car, don't consider the Elise at all and you should stay away from the Z as well. A RWD two seat sports car is simply impractical for too many of life's requirements. A Mazdaspeed3 would make a great car for someone as a solo car. It is fast, fun, handles well, and is reliable. It gives you the practicality of a hatch.
2) Do you have money to burn?
Buying a new car is almost always one of the most stupid financial moves anyone can make. If money is simply not an issue and you will pay cash for the car, then don't worry about it. For most of us, money is a limited asset. Buying a new car you take a huge depreciation hit. If you finance it is is even worse as you will quickly owe more on the car than what it is worth. In this, the Elise has the advantage as it is used. A used MS3 (if you can find a good one) or RX8 would be good choices as would a used 350Z.
Speaking of money, are you prepared for the insurance costs? A 370 or Elise will be expensive to insure. A MS3, RX8, or Si will be a lot less expensive.
3) Have you driven RWD cars before?
A RWD car drives differently than a FWD car. If you haven't had the experience that is fine, but make sure you understand that you don't and take it easy if you get a Z or Elise. FWD is a lot more forgiving
4) Do you get much rain or snow?
Your from CA but don't say where. If it snows where you are, and you don't have another car, don't get the Z, Elise, or RX8. That would be just asking for trouble. The MS3 would be a good choice. Rain isn't a big deal (unless you are SoCal driver, then for some reason it is) but rain can be a problem with a soft top.
5) Are you a 16 year old kid whose folks are going to buy the car for you?
If so, buy a used Civic Si. The car is reliable, fun to drive, easy to mod without breaking the bank, and no great loss if you wrap it around a tree.
Don't discount the RX8. It is a great car that is reliable if it is maintained properly. A rotary is a lot of fun to drive and the car's handling is much better than the Z. It also has the benefit of back seats (sort of).
HUH? much better than the Z?

Quick Reply: Nissan 370z vs Lotus Elise