Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Did the 370Z correct your issues with the 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^lol
Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Corbic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
My old man has a 370 and I have a 350... its simple to me. I feel that the 350 is more along the lines of the 240z's of the 70's and the 370 is more like the 300's of 90's. Stop whinning about the price of parts... after all they are both $30k + (350z when new) so of course the parts are going to be expensive.. duh. Cramped engine bay? Hello... its a 3.5 in a tiny *** car, you want to see cramped check a 300z TT.. now thats a CRAMPED engine bay. Your rant about the inferior interior... cmon look at the cars you named TT, 3 series, Vdub? They arent sports cars! Compare them to ummm idk.. Mustang, Camaro, Evo's, STi's.. theyre on par. I think you shouldnt drive a Z if you think that they had "problems" that werent performance oriented. I'd buy a 350 over a 370, I dont like the way the 370 looks... 370's have an amazing interior though.
I'll bite.

The Mustang was 26k and the S197 interior is par with the 350Zs. the Evo/STi are "not sports cars" and have interiors based on economy cars... and are par with the 350Zs. The Audi TT is clearly a competitor of the 350Z both in purpose and price range. Car magazines compared them then and now. RX-8 has a nicer interior as well.

Parts expensive, no, nor have I complained. However making any performance gains worth the investment is expenisve. FI is the only option, and because of the engine layout, an expensive one at that.

Also, just becuase the car cost +30k does not mean squat for part prices. Look at Corvettes and Mustangs, those are over 30k and are retarded cheap to mod. Same goes for the STi and Evo... but then again both camps benifit either from huge aftermarket supported V8s or factory turbo engines.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Hell no is a Mustang interior even close to a Z, I love Mustangs and I hate knocking them but your wrong. A comprobably equiped mustang is NOT $26k and thats a fact. Im the only Z in my group of friends and thats one thing my buddies (mustangs, vettes, supras included) say alot of good about the lay out of the Z. The TT is NOT a competitor, just b/c its similar in price and has 2 doors doesnt mean it competes, You cant even get a TT-S in a manual set up! A Mercedes E-coupe costs as much as a Vette so I guess theyre in the same class? Yes Sti's and Evo are considered "Sport compact cars" and only share the the same interior layout as their standard counterparts, theryre are very clear differences from car to car. I will agree that RX-8's have a gorgeous interior but the only car that really competed with the Z directly was an S2000. I dont know where your getting your info but the initial investment of a Vette is expensive and so is modding them. You make more HP b/c you started with more HP. You can inexpensively do the same with an Evo or a STi but they started out endowed with a Turbo set up... The point at hand is, the 350 never had "problems" as you said. The 370 mearly refined a already good plateform.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
I bought a 350z because the 370z's weren't out yet.
lmao yep me2
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 PM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread got me curious, so I went to Nissan and drove the 370 (a decked out one).

The clutch was amazing, synchro rev was a dream, it felt a LOT tighter and more responsive than my 08, it had a useable trunk, and the interior was sooo much nicer.

The cons were that I think its ugly on the outside (but better in person than via the interwebs) and it is significantly slower than my current Z=)........like waaaay slower. I was not impressed and thought it wasn't fast, but ill admit i forget what the stock 350 felt like.

MOst probmlems fixed, just want a targa top and an effing twin turbo kit back on it.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

^oh man... Targa would be soooo nice.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
scrapser

In my opinion the 370Z is a design experiment that had to go to market to recover the cost of R&D. It is not very well thought out. The exterior shape is bizarre and the interior (particularly the layout and choice of instrumentation) is distinctly hosed.

All this nets you an additional 15 to 20 HP.

Whoop dee doodlely doo...sign me up for an order of Sham-Wows while you're at it because hey, you know we can't do this all day.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by 350ztttt
This thread got me curious, so I went to Nissan and drove the 370 (a decked out one).

The clutch was amazing, synchro rev was a dream, it felt a LOT tighter and more responsive than my 08, it had a useable trunk, and the interior was sooo much nicer.

The cons were that I think its ugly on the outside (but better in person than via the interwebs) and it is significantly slower than my current Z=)........like waaaay slower. I was not impressed and thought it wasn't fast, but ill admit i forget what the stock 350 felt like.

MOst probmlems fixed, just want a targa top and an effing twin turbo kit back on it.
The 370Z trunk area is about 60% the size of the 350Z trunk area. Yes, they moved the strut forward and exposed the pipe (why?) but the floor is much shallower. How is that an improvement?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
SeckZ

Originally Posted by scrapser
The 370Z trunk area is about 60% the size of the 350Z trunk area. Yes, they moved the strut forward and exposed the pipe (why?) but the floor is much shallower. How is that an improvement?
Wow, hate much? the 370Z has more trunk space, read the dimensions on edmunds. You seem to have quite a few biased opinions buddy, why dont you go out and actually test drive this so called "weird shaped, fat a$$ed" car before you make stupid assumptions? Oh yeah, I forgot, the 370Z is lighter than your car

Guys like this winner are what give my350z a bad name in the Z community, check out the Z32/34 forums, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Last edited by SeckZ; 07-19-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
I hear so much about poor rear visibility on these cars and wonder what cars they are being compared with. As far as 2 door coupes go, I think the visibility is VERY good. Beats a new edge mustang in any parking lot maneuvers and it's far easier to back out of a driveway than 4th gen eclipses (their side mirror placement is "odd" to say the least).

The Z has better rear visibility than this.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've accepted the 370z and all of it's new improvements and/or flaws. i'm staying optimistic and looking forward to a Z35 in the future to address all of the previous models' issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by SeckZ
Wow, hate much? the 370Z has more trunk space, read the dimensions on edmunds. You seem to have quite a few biased opinions buddy, why dont you go out and actually test drive this so called "weird shaped, fat a$$ed" car before you make stupid assumptions? Oh yeah, I forgot, the 370Z is lighter than your car

Guys like this winner are what give my350z a bad name in the Z community, check out the Z32/34 forums, you'll see what i'm talking about.
Good guess. I don't much like the car...never have. I have taken the 370 out for a test ride and it does have a shallower trunk area (closer to the ceiling if that makes sense). Edmunds is reporting available cubic feet which from what I saw in person means there is more front to back space.

On a side note...learn to quell your emotions. Calling people names is lame. The car may be lighter but physically it looks huge, especially from the rear quarter angle. The hood is higher, the nose is blunter, in profile it looks pregnant, the lights and fangs...well...everyone has been talking about those since it was finally revealed. The interior has been improved in materials but the overall dashboard is now nearly vertical and the instruments are all over the place. One of the three dash instruments is a dedicated clock! These are all facts, not conjecture. You don't like it...I'm sorry.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SeckZ
Wow, hate much? the 370Z has more trunk space, read the dimensions on edmunds. You seem to have quite a few biased opinions buddy, why don't you go out and actually test drive this so called "weird shaped, fat a$$ed" car before you make stupid assumptions? Oh yeah, I forgot, the 370Z is lighter than your car

You might actually find that whilst the 370 is lighter than say an late model 350, an HR engine, it probably isn't lighter/or might be comparative to say the original 2002/2003, as the early model ones weighed in at about 1465kgs, (sorry I haven't converted from metric). All relative, and in real terms, if you love the Zed you're driving, it doesn't much matter what opinion anyone else may have.

Enjoy what you drive. Each Z is special in it's own way.

Last edited by BRONZEE; 07-20-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For me, I would like the 370z interior with 350z exterior.

Whats the weight# for the 370z and 350z HR?

Last edited by midz350; 07-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corbic

I just had to re-post this pic because it wasn't visible on my screen while I was first reading your original post. I couldn't help but laugh out loud after reading what sounded like such disappointment, when I scrolled down and I see two essentially identical cars in both platforms that you seem so let down by, but you're still holding on to not one, but both. Get rid of them if you have so much dissatisfaction and let someone else enjoy those beautiful cars.

Excuse me in advance for assuming that they both belong to you, in case they do not.

Last edited by knils; 07-19-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
idrive_MD

I have a few opinions on this and on some of the points made...FYI, I'm a G35 coupe driver.

To answer the question of which I would buy, easy...a Z33 Nismo because it was a truly engineered and race derived and focused model. If you ever have the pleasure of seeing the Z33 Nismo on the track, basic NA mods with some suspension mods and stickier rubber you will be surprised at how quick and well composed they look. Especially on technical and aero sensitive tracks. Despite its questionable looks, that OEM body kit WORKS!!!

What I like about the 370Z...I think the overall package is nicer than a comparable 350Z and I have actually warmed up to the looks. I also don't mind the Porsche visual likeness either because I think its a clear message that Nissan is after them and in a strong sense, the Z is Nissan's 911.

I don't like the lack of added engine development. I really think the new 3.7 in the Z would have been a great oppurtunity for Nissan to debut a direct injection variation of the VQ and I hate the fact even more that it has happened yet and it doesnt look like it will. With DI, I think you'd be looking at 350-hp car with improved gas mileage (which may not matter to most). How has Nissan let a company like Hyundai superceede it in engine technology (I'm a big fan of where Hyundai is and going). Also, the oil-temp issue should not have been an issue.

And since someone has mentioned the future Z35, I have a few hopes and nightmares about it. My only nightmare is that Nissan is seriously considering a Mercedes mill for the next Z. Sure their engines are awesome, but I think its too soon for Nissan to give up on the Vq or their own capabilities to build an awesome engine. Things I do look forward to is I hope it moves up market a bit more, gets gobbs more power and performance and by doing so leaves room for an entry sport rwd model silvia reincarnate would be cool, but a fresh design wouldnt be too bad either.

I think the new 370Z embodies what the problems are within Nissan. I think they have lost some design, engineering, and development drive. It's like they all blew their minds on the GTR and were just burnt out when it came to the 370Z and its current cars.

Infiniti is doing ok, but I think its starting to fall behind, especially in the entry level sedan and coupe market. I'm also surprised the rev-match transmission hasnt made its way to the G-series yet.

Sorry for the long rant. I feel Nissan has a lot of great products and technology, I just wished the were being used and packaged properly.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
lww

I'm just sayin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCk49dlcklU
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
SeckZ

I like this one better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH5ZyuVWbk