Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

question about the 370z

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
smaqaho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the 370z

for those that traded from an 07/08 350z to a 370, did you all notice a drastic difference in power, or overall performance of the vehicle (ride quality, handling, etc)

the only thing i really got to test is the straight line acceleration of the car, and when i let off, my gf said what i was thinking....."is that it?" i really didnt feel the 26 extra hp. did i just test drive a dud? my car felt faster than this one, even just toeing into the throttle in the city, it felt sluggish. now, i did notice the oil temp climbing the entire time....from 180* when i got in to 230* after the ride, but both pulls i made at the beginning of the ride and the end felt the same

overall the car felt slightly smoother and more refined, but only slightly. i guess i just had high expectations after hearing about how its better.

Last edited by smaqaho; 09-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

another 10 to 15whp which the 370 has over the HR is not gonna be noticeable. the more modern styling, the superior interior are however very noticeable.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by Nexx
another 10 to 15whp which the 370 has over the HR is not gonna be noticeable. the more modern styling, the superior interior are however very noticeable.
i will agree to an extent with the last part of your statement, the interior construction does look like its made of better quality parts. but what exactly makes it "superior"? i will agree that it felt more refined, and rode slightly smoother but it wasnt a "night and day" difference to me.

im very meticulous when taking care of my car and bike, and b/c of that, i notice every little flaw with the car. but so far i havent really noticed any interior flaws with mine. all the interior pieces line up properly and fit tight, and there arent any rattles that i notice. i will say thought that some of the pieces do feel a little flimsy in the 350, but personally, i think the new look adds to the refinement aspect. i guess coming from an 04 mustang, where quality is last on fords list, a 350z is pretty damn refined lol

Last edited by smaqaho; 09-13-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

16. smaqaho ------------------------08 Enth 6spd 13.710@101.24mph 2.226 60ft

You are a good driver. Can you beat a stock 370Z running heads-up? Only way to tell is to get to the dragstrip with some 370Z buddies and give it a try.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 AM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by davidv
16. smaqaho ------------------------08 Enth 6spd 13.710@101.24mph 2.226 60ft

You are a good driver. Can you beat a stock 370Z running heads-up? Only way to tell is to get to the dragstrip with some 370Z buddies and give it a try.

thanks, i would love to get next to one and see how it compares to a 370z in the 1/4. i know this car has a little more potential that 13.7 as that time was with a soft launch, slow shifting, and hitting the rev limiter in 3rd. but hopefully i can run into a 370 when i go back to the track
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM
hellsoldiers08

when i test drove a 370z it felt as fast as my 07z with every bolt on(except headers) and a tune :/ only thing i liked was how it does give it that kinda go cart feel and the gearing (3.69xx) feels to just go a lil better than the 3.5. Honestly the only way i could go from a hr to a vq37 is if i found a killer deal(brand new) or i loved it that much to get it. Also, you got to remember my car doing it what it does at stock levels, so meaning if i had mod for mod on the 370, lol im toast lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
you got to remember my car doing it what it does at stock levels
OK what is it doing?

https://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840...ons-stock.html
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
curtbradbury

Default Owned an '04 and an '08 Roadster

I've had an '04 Grand Touring Roadster and an '08 Touring Roadster and just traded the '08 on a 2010 370Z Touring Roadster when I found a used one with 4400 miles. The 2010 is much improved over the 350Z's. I got rid of the '04 after 3 1/2 years (just out of warranty) because the top had rotted and the dealer refused to do anything for me. I also had issues with tire cupping and the dealer had replaced three sets of front tires at no cost. I traded the '04 on an Infiniti G37 which I really liked but missed having a drop top, so I traded it on a used '08. The '08 was just starting to exhibit the tire cupping issue at 9000 miles. The suspension issue has been fixed with a re-design, the top is made of a much tougher material. If my top is up, it's raining, and I live in Southwest florida so the air conditioned seats are fantastic. The transmission is definitely better when manually shifting the automatic - much crisper shifts with no slipping between shifts. This is a completley different and better automobile!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by curtbradbury
I've had an '04 Grand Touring Roadster and an '08 Touring Roadster and just traded the '08 on a 2010 370Z Touring Roadster when I found a used one with 4400 miles. The 2010 is much improved over the 350Z's. I got rid of the '04 after 3 1/2 years (just out of warranty) because the top had rotted and the dealer refused to do anything for me. I also had issues with tire cupping and the dealer had replaced three sets of front tires at no cost. I traded the '04 on an Infiniti G37 which I really liked but missed having a drop top, so I traded it on a used '08. The '08 was just starting to exhibit the tire cupping issue at 9000 miles. The suspension issue has been fixed with a re-design, the top is made of a much tougher material. If my top is up, it's raining, and I live in Southwest florida so the air conditioned seats are fantastic. The transmission is definitely better when manually shifting the automatic - much crisper shifts with no slipping between shifts. This is a completley different and better automobile!

hmm, i've never experienced tire cupping yet with mine but im only at 19k miles. but would an aftermarket suspension on a 350 fix that issue?

so as far as convertibles, the 370z is more of a "day and night" difference over the 350? i have a coupe so obviously i wont experience those issues with the soft top. nor do i have an auto, but i did notice with the manual the clutch operated noticeably better and the gear changes were noticeably smoother in the 2010
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM
curtbradbury

smaqaho - Pay close attention to the tire cupping (it's also been called tire feathering). It starts out with a low speed tire roar as you're slowing down for a stop and gets louder and louder and you can actually feel it in the steering wheel, but it's fairly insidious so it may creep up on you. As far as I know, the '08 and the '04 have exactly the same suspension and it can't be a just bad luck that I had two cars that exhibited this problem. It was documented by Nissan as a TSB (this has been covered many, many times on other posts) but new owners might not be aware of it. On the '04 I finally just bit the bullet and put on a whole new set of tires (Toyo I think) with a harder rubber compound and I think this would have fixed the problem but I don't know because I got rid of the car. Don't get me wrong though, I loved both of my 350's and enjoyed my time with them. I was lucky enough to find a used 370Z Roadster with low miles and saw no reason not to buy the car with the normal improvements that come with time. I'll probably be wanting a 400Z? when that comes out - we're never happy.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by curtbradbury
smaqaho - Pay close attention to the tire cupping (it's also been called tire feathering). It starts out with a low speed tire roar as you're slowing down for a stop and gets louder and louder and you can actually feel it in the steering wheel, but it's fairly insidious so it may creep up on you. As far as I know, the '08 and the '04 have exactly the same suspension and it can't be a just bad luck that I had two cars that exhibited this problem. It was documented by Nissan as a TSB (this has been covered many, many times on other posts) but new owners might not be aware of it. On the '04 I finally just bit the bullet and put on a whole new set of tires (Toyo I think) with a harder rubber compound and I think this would have fixed the problem but I don't know because I got rid of the car. Don't get me wrong though, I loved both of my 350's and enjoyed my time with them. I was lucky enough to find a used 370Z Roadster with low miles and saw no reason not to buy the car with the normal improvements that come with time. I'll probably be wanting a 400Z? when that comes out - we're never happy.
ill probably be in line for a 400z (or whatever the next variation is) too. while we are on the topic though, what causes tire cupping on the 350's? i planned on upgrading the suspension when i buy another vehicle as a DD so i can keep the miles off the z. would that fix it? (or should i just use the search button? )

thanks for the info on the tire issues, i didnt even know it was an issue. ill be monitoring that and see what happens. i was hoping to get a couple more months out of the stock tires so i can use my bonus check from work to purchase a new front set anyway
Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Redglare

Originally Posted by smaqaho
for those that traded from an 07/08 350z to a 370, did you all notice a drastic difference in power, or overall performance of the vehicle (ride quality, handling, etc)

the only thing i really got to test is the straight line acceleration of the car, and when i let off, my gf said what i was thinking....."is that it?" i really didnt feel the 26 extra hp. did i just test drive a dud? my car felt faster than this one, even just toeing into the throttle in the city, it felt sluggish. now, i did notice the oil temp climbing the entire time....from 180* when i got in to 230* after the ride, but both pulls i made at the beginning of the ride and the end felt the same

overall the car felt slightly smoother and more refined, but only slightly. i guess i just had high expectations after hearing about how its better.
Same boat as you, need advice - except I am not trading in but deciding 07/08 350z or 09/10 370z,
Styling the 350z wins me over hands down, and just like you state I did not feel acceleration difference at all.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Redglare
Same boat as you, need advice - except I am not trading in but deciding 07/08 350z or 09/10 370z,
Styling the 350z wins me over hands down, and just like you state I did not feel acceleration difference at all.
The bump from 306 to 332 horsepower is about a 8.5 percent increase. Whether you can or cannot feel it is besides the point. It is real.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 AM
curtbradbury

Originally Posted by smaqaho
ill probably be in line for a 400z (or whatever the next variation is) too. while we are on the topic though, what causes tire cupping on the 350's? i planned on upgrading the suspension when i buy another vehicle as a DD so i can keep the miles off the z. would that fix it? (or should i just use the search button? )

thanks for the info on the tire issues, i didnt even know it was an issue. ill be monitoring that and see what happens. i was hoping to get a couple more months out of the stock tires so i can use my bonus check from work to purchase a new front set anyway
smaqaho: Do a search for 350Z tire cupping but I believe the conventional wisdom says the design of the 350Z suspension purposely provides negative camber (the tops of the front tires are closer together than bottoms) to improve handling. This may work on a Formula One car but for an automobile driven mostly straight, not constantly cornering under stress, it causes the tread on the inside of each tire to wear unevenly (cupping) which in turn causes the low speed roar. I don't know of any after-market suspension mods out there to fix this problem and it doesn't appear on every Z, so you may be OK.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Lee R

w w w . t h e 3 7 0 Z . c o m
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
350z2k3

Originally Posted by Lee R
w w w . t h e 3 7 0 Z . c o m

LOL

Those of us who traded up from a 350 to a 370 are going to be pretty biased in our opinions.

With that said, I had an '03 and an '08 350z. The 370z is night and day better than either of my previous 350z's.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by 350z2k3
Those of us who traded up from a 350 to a 370 are going to be pretty biased in our opinions.

With that said, I had an '03 and an '08 350z. The 370z is night and day better than either of my previous 350z's.
yeah, thats true, had i traded my car in and financed 10k+ more to have a 370, i would be pretty biased too. the dealership wanted to give me 19k trade in and wanted 32500 for the 370

but what, to you, makes the 370 that much better? on my test drive i noticed it was a little more refined and smoother than my 350, but not a huge difference. the clutch and gear changes though were noticeably smoother and easier in the 370 vs my 350, but the power difference wasnt there at all. to say that particular car made 330hp is just words and writing to me b/c i couldnt feel it. but maybe that particular car was a factory dud in terms of power, some kind of way. i didnt get to take it on a twisty road so i cant say anything about the handling differences. the interior quality looks better than my car, which looks like it has a couple flimsy pieces that may cause trouble down the road. but coming from an 2004 mustang, a cardboard box would have more interior refinement. so i guess its all in what youre used to, which is why i say my 08 is "refined".

i guess my expectations (which were probably unrealistic prior to my test drive) were not completely satisfied when i drove it. i felt kind of "disconnected" when i drove it.....maybe that particular car wasnt quite up to normal 370z standards though......
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
BeeAyche

Ive had a HR 350 as well as a Sprts Packge and a Nismo 370z..

Ive ran with 370's with my HR and vice versa, and while im not the best driver I will say I could tell there was a difference.. i would have to think if they had the same driver the 370 would best the HR.. although its prolly not by much..

and i have no reason to be biased
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
ihatepotholes

370z looks much better imo... i have never raced a 07-08 350, so i can't comment on that, but my friend and i ran a 370z side by side all the way up to 140 in an e46 m3 smg. my friend's m3 had intake, straight pipe and software, i don't know what did the z have.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
ChuckD05

i ran a 12.9 with intakes, test pipes, exhaust , and tune... another guy with my mods plus long tube headers, flywheel , and 4.08's ran a 12.67 and trapped 112mph

the power difference is noticeable and can not be disputed... The rev match feature is also a factor when comparing all though its sort of a gimmick but its still a feature that draws people into the car..

interior is superior for using much less plastic surfaces..

exterior looks are subjective but to the amateur car person they look almost the same.

Quick Reply: question about the 370z