Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Possibility of taking a 370Z to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by *Boose*
I was stationed there in 08-10. Can't do it. Have fun there. First base?
Correct. Took me 2 minutes to find the answer here: http://www.misawa.af.mil/
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 AM
*Boose*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phatchops42
I just left Misawa around 6 months ago and when I went there I was told you arent allowed to bring vehicles to Japan due to emissions and safety standards being different. However you can have your vehicle shipped back on the governments dime but im not really sure on all that involves, get with TMO when you first get there if you really want to bring your car back. In all reality its going to be alot cheaper to just buy one there or another type of vehicle. Just please if you buy a Skyline dont but a 4-door automatic.....or a scooby for that matter.

On a side note, there was a r33 for sale on base with a bunch of stuff on it for sale for 5k and a bunch of silvias, scoobys, evo, and other cars for sale at dealers outisde base for 5k or less usually.
You can find decent Skylines for $5k. Most are rust buckets. True. But a few of them are quick sells from people pcsing. When I was leaving I knew a guy selling his R32 GTR for $5k in pristine condition. Very clean and white. No rust no issues. They can be had. However, it's all about timing. Throughout my tour on the lemon lot there were a lot of clean clean cars selling for $5k and less.

Originally Posted by THe Emperor
They haven't given me my orders yet just the assignment. I know that I'll be in the 35 maintenance group.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have alot to think over!
You're not Jets/Propulsion are you?

Originally Posted by davidv
Thats what I figured.

Visit you local transportation management office and they will tell you what you can and cannot take.

I bought US car in Germany, at the end of the tour shipped it back. No modifications needed because the car is registered with United States Armed Forces Europe not German registered. German roads are easy on vehicles.

Look at the weather data for Misawa Japan. Make an informed decision.
TMO will tell you this, as I went through with it when I first got there. In order for you to ship your car there. Because it is possible. PITA yes, and its just so much hassle to bring your car there everyone avoids the talk. But possible. They will hand you a list of what is required. They will hand you a slip that needs to be routed through your commander since he has to authorize use of your car. Also you will need to show proof that you can afford the $3-$5k to ship the car and pay for the expenses. On the list includes the safety requirements and a name of the TMO representative that is able to help you through the process. I forget his name but I think it's Mr. G or something close to that. Something most cannot pronounce. He knows the contact information for customs in Tokyo. The customs agents will be the ones to recieve your car. After that they will more then likely hold your car for 8-10 weeks and then either release it or keep it in tokyo while you pay for the repairs (and there will be from what I've heard). So it's a royal pain the ***. The same process applies to people who have motorcycles from the US with manufacture dates after 2000-01 I believe.

Originally Posted by Spork
You can bring it, just prepare to have your *** reamed with all the testing and qualifications it needs to pass. All if the AF will even ship it for you, being new. They may just make you store it... and then what's the point of buying a new car? Then again, it could be easier than some people I've talked to. Don't do it.

Not cost effective, and for his rank, he'd be retarded to do such a thing.

Again, not cost effective. Spec-R S15's are still a bit pricey here, especially for someone new on a 2-3 year tour.

If you really want... find an R32 GTR. They're not THAT rare, but be prepared to spend 7-8k for a nice one in good condition, and then add another 1-2k for insurance, JCI if not included, and road tax.

Personally, I'd stay away from any GTR under $5k. Of course, if you don't mind a rustbucket, go right ahead.

Just think about your options before you buy an R33 GTST like every other new guy coming to Japan. And no, you CAN'T bring back your R33 GTR that you spend $10k on.
You can always hop in the EVO or RX7 crowd. You can find them for cheap.

Feel free to ask more questions. I'm at Kadena, hoping to get to Mis/Yok in 2013 to finish off my GTR's 25-year rule.

Of course, you can always do the best thing... buy a beater here and save for a big down payment on a new car back in the US if that's really where you want to throw your money. I'll be honest, when I got married, all my priorities shifted.

Oh... and www.zeroyon.com
Everyone will give you the brutal truth to everything. Hope you have thick skin, as well. We don't take kindly to new guys that come here and just want a Skyline/Supra/Silvia/FD.

BTW, the yen rate is sh*t... don't get in over your head. An R32 GTR isn't easy to own, as sh*t breaks... and OEM parts are really not available. If they are, it's through the dealership, and they don't use lube. Your only other choice, of course, is aftermarket... and you'll suffer.
Pretty much what he said. Use the hobby shop as a huge resource for parts. Everyone has parts laying around for skylines there. My buddy there for instance has 2 RB25's, complete with transmissions, harnesses, etc. 1 complete RB26, and a handful of SR20's. Use the drifters to your advantage. They all have tires, parts, and everything you will need to keep your car running. Most also have spare cars as well. So if you need a body panel or whatever. Buy it from them. The junkyards are fairly expensive. There used to be an American owned shop right off base. He moved right when I pcs'd but everyone knows who he is. He's an excellent asset of cars and parts. Also heavy maintenance.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by davidv
Thats what I figured.

Visit you local transportation management office and they will tell you what you can and cannot take.

I bought US car in Germany, at the end of the tour shipped it back. No modifications needed because the car is registered with United States Armed Forces Europe not German registered. German roads are easy on vehicles.

Look at the weather data for Misawa Japan. Make an informed decision.
I'm going to PM you about this. I'm interested in doing the samething.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 AM
MyPlumbing

Default Possibility of taking a 370Z to Japan

I THINK YOUR WEBPAGE IS EXCELLENT.
Plumbing Crystal Lake IL
plumber Bergenfield
Rahway Plumbing
Plumbing Cicero IL
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by MyPlumbing
I think you're an idiot.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by *Boose*
You're not Jets/Propulsion are you?
I'm Armament.

After reading through everything I've decided to wait until I'm there to make a move. I'll see what the selection looks like first then see what TMO can do for me if I decide to grab a 370 over there. I wonder if it's possible to just buy a USDM 370 over there directly from Nissan.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by THe Emperor
I'm Armament.

After reading through everything I've decided to wait until I'm there to make a move. I'll see what the selection looks like first then see what TMO can do for me if I decide to grab a 370 over there. I wonder if it's possible to just buy a USDM 370 over there directly from Nissan.
Chances are incredibly low of even finding a Domestic one within a few hundred miles. All you will find are kei cars in the north mainland for sale from Nissan Red. The prices for them in Japan are hiked also. Your best best is to wait til you come back stateside and buy a 370Z, after you save up a lof of cash. Trust me it's worth the wait. I was forced to sell my 370Z because I didn't wait. I just jumped right on a deal.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
ObiRedKenobi

I've had buddies stationed over seas for years. He was in Germany but he would tell me about how it was funny that some cars on base stayed there the owners just changed as people came and went.

Most logical thing to do would be to buy something cheap and fun over there drive it while you can and sell it when you come back. Use the money you saved not to have to deal with a payment when you get back here.