Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Possibility of taking a 370Z to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM
THe Emperor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibility of taking a 370Z to Japan

Well here's my issue. I really want to buy a 370Z but in a few months I'll be stationed in Misawa. I'm trying to see how I can find out how much would be involved in making it street legal for Japan. Any advice on how I can find out? I emailed Nissan and of course got no reply lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I know this going to come off rather sarcastic question but why not by a Z in Japan?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
I know this going to come off rather sarcastic question but why not by a Z in Japan?
He mostly likely won't be able to ship the car back to the States on government expense and need to pay out of pocket.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
pmab9918

A Z would be rare in Japan.....
Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 PM
THe Emperor

Yea from what I've been reading it sounds almost impossible to bring a JDM car back to the the states unless it's 25 years old. Also the pre-owned Z's are much more expensive over there. I see HRs over there cost more than what a can get a 8-10k mile 370 for here.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All you need to do is move the steering wheel from the left to right side. And add a working rear fog light.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 PM
lgear080

Buy an r34 while you are there instead
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by lgear080
Oh I want to sooooo bad, but I wouldn't be able to bring it back.....legally.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:35 PM
cubs4worldseris

Buy an S15 while you are there!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy a 370 while your out there and bring it back here when your done and all the JDM honda homos will cream all over you... Could probally make a penny of it too. Doesnt the service pay for your car to be shipped too?

Someone correct me if im wrong, but the only problem with bringing JDM cars here is if they have to be safety inspected/DOT approved(as a car make/model, not individual basis) The 370z already has US ratings, unlike a an R33/R34 which doesnt.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
lgear080

but an r33.... they're getting there - i.e. near the 25 year rule
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by THe Emperor
Well here's my issue. I really want to buy a 370Z but in a few months I'll be stationed in Misawa. I'm trying to see how I can find out how much would be involved in making it street legal for Japan. Any advice on how I can find out? I emailed Nissan and of course got no reply lol.

I was stationed there in 08-10. Can't do it. Have fun there. First base?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by *Boose*
I was stationed there in 08-10. Can't do it. Have fun there. First base?
Yep first base.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
*Boose*

Yep first base.
Do me a favor and do what I didn't do. Buy a R32 GTR or R33 GTS-T. Both sell for like under 5k in misawa. I sure do wish I hadn't bought my 350Z before I went there. Would've made it so much easier.

Which sq you going to?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I've had friends move to Japan and they all agree that taking a car with you, or bringing one back, isn't worth it. I'd buy something fun and affordable, and just sell it before coming home.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can bring it, just prepare to have your *** reamed with all the testing and qualifications it needs to pass. All if the AF will even ship it for you, being new. They may just make you store it... and then what's the point of buying a new car? Then again, it could be easier than some people I've talked to. Don't do it.

Not cost effective, and for his rank, he'd be retarded to do such a thing.

Originally Posted by cubs4worldseris
Buy an S15 while you are there!
Again, not cost effective. Spec-R S15's are still a bit pricey here, especially for someone new on a 2-3 year tour.

but an r33.... they're getting there - i.e. near the 25 year rule
If you really want... find an R32 GTR. They're not THAT rare, but be prepared to spend 7-8k for a nice one in good condition, and then add another 1-2k for insurance, JCI if not included, and road tax.

Do me a favor and do what I didn't do. Buy a R32 GTR or R33 GTS-T. Both sell for like under 5k in misawa. I sure do wish I hadn't bought my 350Z before I went there. Would've made it so much easier.

Which sq you going to?
Personally, I'd stay away from any GTR under $5k. Of course, if you don't mind a rustbucket, go right ahead.

Just think about your options before you buy an R33 GTST like every other new guy coming to Japan. And no, you CAN'T bring back your R33 GTR that you spend $10k on.
You can always hop in the EVO or RX7 crowd. You can find them for cheap.

Feel free to ask more questions. I'm at Kadena, hoping to get to Mis/Yok in 2013 to finish off my GTR's 25-year rule.

Of course, you can always do the best thing... buy a beater here and save for a big down payment on a new car back in the US if that's really where you want to throw your money. I'll be honest, when I got married, all my priorities shifted.

Oh... and www.zeroyon.com
Everyone will give you the brutal truth to everything. Hope you have thick skin, as well. We don't take kindly to new guys that come here and just want a Skyline/Supra/Silvia/FD.

BTW, the yen rate is sh*t... don't get in over your head. An R32 GTR isn't easy to own, as sh*t breaks... and OEM parts are really not available. If they are, it's through the dealership, and they don't use lube. Your only other choice, of course, is aftermarket... and you'll suffer.

Last edited by Spork; 11-14-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
THe Emperor

Which sq you going to?
They haven't given me my orders yet just the assignment. I know that I'll be in the 35 maintenance group.

Originally Posted by Spork
You can bring it, just prepare to have your *** reamed with all the testing and qualifications it needs to pass. All if the AF will even ship it for you, being new. They may just make you store it... and then what's the point of buying a new car? Then again, it could be easier than some people I've talked to. Don't do it.

Not cost effective, and for his rank, he'd be retarded to do such a thing.

Again, not cost effective. Spec-R S15's are still a bit pricey here, especially for someone new on a 2-3 year tour.

If you really want... find an R32 GTR. They're not THAT rare, but be prepared to spend 7-8k for a nice one in good condition, and then add another 1-2k for insurance, JCI if not included, and road tax.

Personally, I'd stay away from any GTR under $5k. Of course, if you don't mind a rustbucket, go right ahead.

Just think about your options before you buy an R33 GTST like every other new guy coming to Japan. And no, you CAN'T bring back your R33 GTR that you spend $10k on.
You can always hop in the EVO or RX7 crowd. You can find them for cheap.

Feel free to ask more questions. I'm at Kadena, hoping to get to Mis/Yok in 2013 to finish off my GTR's 25-year rule.

Of course, you can always do the best thing... buy a beater here and save for a big down payment on a new car back in the US if that's really where you want to throw your money. I'll be honest, when I got married, all my priorities shifted.

Oh... and www.zeroyon.com
Everyone will give you the brutal truth to everything. Hope you have thick skin, as well. We don't take kindly to new guys that come here and just want a Skyline/Supra/Silvia/FD.

BTW, the yen rate is sh*t... don't get in over your head. An R32 GTR isn't easy to own, as sh*t breaks... and OEM parts are really not available. If they are, it's through the dealership, and they don't use lube. Your only other choice, of course, is aftermarket... and you'll suffer.
Thanks for the info, looks like I have alot to think over!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM
phatchops42

I just left Misawa around 6 months ago and when I went there I was told you arent allowed to bring vehicles to Japan due to emissions and safety standards being different. However you can have your vehicle shipped back on the governments dime but im not really sure on all that involves, get with TMO when you first get there if you really want to bring your car back. In all reality its going to be alot cheaper to just buy one there or another type of vehicle. Just please if you buy a Skyline dont but a 4-door automatic.....or a scooby for that matter.

On a side note, there was a r33 for sale on base with a bunch of stuff on it for sale for 5k and a bunch of silvias, scoobys, evo, and other cars for sale at dealers outisde base for 5k or less usually.

Last edited by phatchops42; 11-14-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Itzcashew

Buy a kei car. save money. buy the 380z when you're back in the states LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep first base.
Thats what I figured.

Visit you local transportation management office and they will tell you what you can and cannot take.

I bought US car in Germany, at the end of the tour shipped it back. No modifications needed because the car is registered with United States Armed Forces Europe not German registered. German roads are easy on vehicles.

Look at the weather data for Misawa Japan. Make an informed decision.

Quick Reply: Possibility of taking a 370Z to Japan