Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z vs Cayman vs 335ci

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmkv
I am in the similar situation, except I do not have the wife.
Then your situation in nowhere similar.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Shop TPMS
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by specialized5223
If you're referring to HPFP problems, it's not an n54 specific problem...
I've had one of the first N55 135i's and I had absolutely no problems with the car at all. Every single one of my friends with N54's have had nothing but headaches with their cars. It just seemed like endless recalls. It's an easy car to mod and squeeze power out of but it's also scary to maintain. I'd just drive those cars stock. To each their own

To the OP, I just traded in my 135i for a 370Z because I also wanted something MORE fun to drive on the weekends. The 370Z seems so raw compared to the BMW.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
g35_white

Originally Posted by jmkv
I am in the similar situation, except I do not have the wife.
I don't think you will have no manual restriction.

Originally Posted by pss350z
Lol

i see a Miata in op's near future.
No chance in hell. A miata will never be considered.

Originally Posted by pss350z
Then your situation in nowhere similar.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Shop TPMS
I've had one of the first N55 135i's and I had absolutely no problems with the car at all. Every single one of my friends with N54's have had nothing but headaches with their cars. It just seemed like endless recalls. It's an easy car to mod and squeeze power out of but it's also scary to maintain. I'd just drive those cars stock. To each their own

To the OP, I just traded in my 135i for a 370Z because I also wanted something MORE fun to drive on the weekends. The 370Z seems so raw compared to the BMW.
How was 135i? I don't seem to find many 135i coupes in market. Most are convertibles which i don't want.

Can you do a brief comparo between the two. thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

135i is slightly lighter with a shorter wheelbase, so the steering response is more sensitive. it does feel a little faster than a 335i but that's just based on the butt dyno.

think of it this way. its a 335i cut down a foot or two with less legroom in the rear and an uglier car overall compared to an e92 335i.

I used to feel the same until i drove my cousins 335i after we did a KW V2 install. went from bland to grand. much more feedback.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
pss350z

I was blown away by the 135 when it first came out in 08, it felt much faster than my 03 z in a straight line and in the turns. I test drove a 2011 a couple months ago and was dissapointed. I prefer my HR z over it. They switched over the engines in 2010, i beleive went from a bi turbo to the current single turbo. The 08s especially were given bad reviews for reliability, i think major problem was the fuel pump. I will most likely buy an 09 135i once my mini cooper dies... If sometime in the near future.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
g35_white

Today, another car got added to the short list.

2007 Jaguar XK with 45k miles and asking price of $31k

The only thing that is holding me back is the Reliability of a Jaguar.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g35_white
Today, another car got added to the short list.

2007 Jaguar XK with 45k miles and asking price of $31k

The only thing that is holding me back is the Reliability of a Jaguar.
as good as they sound and look, the battery always drains dead because of the display not turning off. also, the convertibles have major issues with their top not folding down.

thats all that I've encountered at work.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 AM
SniperHunter

2007 is the first year of the Jag X150 chassis...I'd seriously avoid a potential nightmare like that.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
g35_white

Originally Posted by Duckeee
as good as they sound and look, the battery always drains dead because of the display not turning off. also, the convertibles have major issues with their top not folding down.

thats all that I've encountered at work.
Thanks, this is not a convertible but battery drain is quite an issue especially if going on a long trip.

Originally Posted by SniperHunter
2007 is the first year of the Jag X150 chassis...I'd seriously avoid a potential nightmare like that.
Point taken. i am doing more research on the problems it faced.

thanks

The question going through our mind right now is

- a $30k brand new camaro
- a $33k 2008 corvette
- a $33k 2007 XK
- a $35k brand new 370z
- a $30k 2010 370z.

Almost got the corvette yesterday but we couldn't agree on a pricing. So now it will have to wait. Right now its war between me and Chevy dealership with regards to camaro and corvette.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
knils

To be honest, I really think you should pause for a minute and think. Is this really a good idea?

If your wife can't be bothered to drive manual (of which she knows how!) I doubt, seriously doubt that I would want her daily-driving my powerful weekend sports car, coming from a camry to boot! In all seriousness do you really think that this is a good idea? What about inclement weather/rain, I can hear the phone call already telling you she totaled the corvette because her heavy foot kicked the *** end out in light rain and she over-corrected, or took a nice wall ride along the guardrail because she gave a bit "too much" gas in the corner.

Unless you tell me your wife used to moonlight as an auto-trans drag racer back in the day or something else ridiculous that showcases her affinity for automatic transmissions, there is no reason to demand automatic transmission in a sports car besides driver ignorance. With a ten mile commute as well you can't even complain about traffic. If she can't or won't handle the stick than she probably can't handle the car.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
IDrm350

Please don't get a Camaro.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
g35_white

Originally Posted by knils
To be honest, I really think you should pause for a minute and think. Is this really a good idea?

If your wife can't be bothered to drive manual (of which she knows how!) I doubt, seriously doubt that I would want her daily-driving my powerful weekend sports car, coming from a camry to boot! In all seriousness do you really think that this is a good idea? What about inclement weather/rain, I can hear the phone call already telling you she totaled the corvette because her heavy foot kicked the *** end out in light rain and she over-corrected, or took a nice wall ride along the guardrail because she gave a bit "too much" gas in the corner.

Unless you tell me your wife used to moonlight as an auto-trans drag racer back in the day or something else ridiculous that showcases her affinity for automatic transmissions, there is no reason to demand automatic transmission in a sports car besides driver ignorance. With a ten mile commute as well you can't even complain about traffic. If she can't or won't handle the stick than she probably can't handle the car.
This question has cropped up in my mind many times. It is very easy to get in trouble with a corvette or Z. She rode the corvette and found it good. But it was a short run of 4-5 miles. If we do decide a corvette, i will make sure she goes through a 10 mile loop to ensure she is comfortable with it. If required i could ask her to get familiarize with it by going through a supercar teaching academy or something as the final solution.

As for accidents. It happens and that is why they are called accidents. Who can give an assurance that it won't happen in a ford focus or camry? She does drive good and i have confidence in her that she won't wreck a $30k sports car as easy as you are sounding.

I can always switch the cars when it rains.

Last edited by g35_white; 06-25-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Shop TPMS
Vendor - Former Vendor

I absolutely loved my 135i. It was even better after I installed KW V2's on it. Later on, I started tracking the car more and then I had to upgrade again to KW V3. However, I know that the 370Z doesn't need much to handle well on the track. I test drove my friend's stock Z and I knew I had to have one. It just felt THAT much better. I love luxury cars (even though it was entry level) but I definitely wanted something much more raw. It seems much smaller compared to the 335i, but it's still performed better. I loved how it came with 6 pot Brembos and the 3-series doesn't. Considering your wife might be driving it as well, not sure if the Z is the right choice. The Z's storage space is extremely small and the 135i can have the rear seats fold down.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
SniperHunter

Camaros have disgusting interiors. No other way of putting it.

Corvettes are better in that regard if you get navi, but still rather cheap and generic.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
tazicon

I absolutely loved my 135i. It was even better after I installed KW V2's on it. Later on, I started tracking the car more and then I had to upgrade again to KW V3. However, I know that the 370Z doesn't need much to handle well on the track. I test drove my friend's stock Z and I knew I had to have one. It just felt THAT much better. I love luxury cars (even though it was entry level) but I definitely wanted something much more raw. It seems much smaller compared to the 335i, but it's still performed better. I loved how it came with 6 pot Brembos and the 3-series doesn't. Considering your wife might be driving it as well, not sure if the Z is the right choice. The Z's storage space is extremely small and the 135i can have the rear seats fold down.

My wife loves driving the Z. In fact even though it's my car she drives it daily to work.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
gy954

Default Cayman

If you want the extra seats in back, the M3, otherwise the Cayman would be my choice. Mind you, those are a bunch of sweet cars in your list so you are unlikely to be disappointed no matter what. Just my $0.02
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Zredman

this just crossed my mind...but audi?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
g35_white

Originally Posted by Zredman
this just crossed my mind...but audi?
Which audi are you referring to? S5 or S4 are not in my budget. I found many TT 2.0T. But i don't want to downgrade to just 200 hp for a heavy roadster. If you have any other in mind let me know that is a coupe. I find a5 but most are 2.0T. Too much underpowered for what i am looking at.

thanks

***Small Update ***

The short list has gone shorter.

- 2010 370z with 25k miles for $26k
- 2012 370z brand new for $35k
- 2008 Corvette for $33k

I convinced my wife to remove the others for being not just 'there' compared to this two.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
xzotklr

I am in a big dilemma. Hope you guys can throw some light on which one to go for.

I have ~$35k to spend on a sports car. Some options i have are below

- Brand new 370z touring or something.
- Pre-owned 370z (2010-2011 models)
- Pre-owned Cayman (2008)
- Pre-owned 2008-2009 BMW 335i
- Pre-owned Corvette
- Pre-owned S5/M3 if available.
- Pre-owned/Brand new Camaro/Mustang GT. I am not keen on this option since these are not much fun on twisties compared to above options.

Which is a good buy?. My requirements in order.

- Used for daily drive to work.
- Fun to drive. Obvious since its a sportscar.
- Performance (power/handling) though it may not see a track in near future
- A little lighter on pocket is appreciated.
- A little fuel efficient would be great.
- 2-seater or 4-seater doesn't matter.

The weirdest requirement which even i can't believe is, it has to be automatic transmission.

I know, i know its sacrilege to think sports car and auto together, but can't help it. It will be a daily driver for my wife and fun for me on weekends. I have rowed gears all my life but not my wife. So this situation.

I stay in CA and there is no snow all year round. Already have a 2005 g35. I have tried 350z that i like. Will be trying 370z soon. if its a good option to pair with G
IF the automatic is mandatory for your situation IMHO the choices from your list ( in order) are as follows:

- Pre-owned M3 ( w/ smg paddles)
- Pre-owned Cayman (2008)
- Pre-owned Corvette

Good Luck!!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
IDrm350

Which audi are you referring to? S5 or S4 are not in my budget. I found many TT 2.0T. But i don't want to downgrade to just 200 hp for a heavy roadster. If you have any other in mind let me know that is a coupe. I find a5 but most are 2.0T. Too much underpowered for what i am looking at.

thanks

***Small Update ***

The short list has gone shorter.

- 2010 370z with 25k miles for $26k
- 2012 370z brand new for $35k
- 2008 Corvette for $33k

I convinced my wife to remove the others for being not just 'there' compared to this two.
Good, that's where your list should be IMO.

Don't get an Audi, they are maintenance nightmares. Worse than BMWs, believe it or not. That's why I got an M3 instead of an RS4 (really really wanted one). Just spend some time on Audizine and you will see. Every third thread is about a serious problem.

Quick Reply: 370z vs Cayman vs 335ci