Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Being A GT-R Owner Sux A$S Sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM
4DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllStock
No, im tired of all these people thinking any little thing voids your warranty. It's people like dieselmore who dont know **** about cars and bring their cars to the dealership from a flat tire that get these rumors out. They can't void your warranty for changing tires/wheels or anything else that couldn't possibly make the car not work properly, there's a law against it. Dealers just think they can shaft people who don't know shita bout their car by saying "rplace all 4 or no more warranty!" because it's worked on some other yankee who doesn't do his research. Thank the lord "dieselmore" wasn't dumb enough to belive their shenanigans and pay for all 4 tires. He at least had the sense to fight that part, however, he lacked common sense to take his car to a tire shop from a flat tire. LOL.
Well working at a Nissan Dealer as a service advisor I can tell you that replaceing the wheels and tires with aftermaket will not void your warranty "if" as long as the spec's of the wheel and tire package do no cause the front and rear differentials to turn @ differnent rates, meaning the rear overall tire height is bigger than the front, changing the overall gear ratio.

As far as the flat tire thing, we fix flat tires all of the time. The reason for not repairing the tire is that with this type of tire it is a safety issue the likelyhood of the tire coming apart at high speeds when the belts have been separated do to a tire repair/ punture even though slight, can cause catastophic failure.

Now talking about all wheel drive systems especially one as sensitive as the GT-R's you would need to change out all four tires if there is a difference of 1.5 -2 32nds of tire tread depth between any of the tires because the difference can cause the clutches in the diffs and transfer case to overheat because one wheel will be turning faster than the other, this is the reason Nissan pays for optimization serivces that include the alignment, this is also the reason why the "Stealership" as you say, was recommending replacing all four tires, because if there is a problem down the road with a damaged differential or transfer case because of this reason, Nissan can and probably will void the warranty on that part only, they cannot void the warranty on the entire vehicle because of that.

Now my question is did they measure the tires before recommending that all four tires be replaced?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
r_seng

What a pain in the **** it seems like...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 AM
4DC

Yeah it does seem like it but these situations are not ones that come around every day. No keep in mind that unfortunately tires that come on the vehicle when new do not have a tire warranty, but replacement tires that are purchased at Any Nissan dealer that are a factory replacement come with a two year roadhazard warranty. So say you purchase a new set of tires and on, two, or all have to be replaced due to nails or what have you, they are all covered for replacement until 2 32nd's tread wear. 100% minus labor for the first year, and 50% minus labor for the 2nd year. They do not prorate due to tire wear unless they are at 2 32nd's or below.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 AM
foreveryoung

There is a lot of misinformation going on here.First off,Even on a AWD car,there is a lot of give when it comes to differences in tire diamaters when only replacing one.First off,if you measures the diamter of 4 new tires,you will usually find a variance of maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch.If one tire on one axle is totaly worn out it makes sence to replace both but the other axle could care less.Secondly,a tire plug is an accepted repair but wil never be endorsed by a tire manufaturer.Ther is a chance that the plug could cause excessive cord damage seeing as you have to make a nail hole much larger to get the plug in.Thirdly,the reason you can't patch a GTR tire is because they use a knurled bead and once the bead is originally seated,it will never reseal if to try to remount it.A patch on thread portion of a tire will never cuase a problem if installed correctly.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

wahhh i own an amazing car and the upkeep costs are astronomical. no pity here dude just don't let them **** you over on small things (as you didn't in this situation). you can get your tires wherever you want, they aren't going to void your warranty on anything over a tire.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zland
The car is not worth that much to me. Give me a 350Z and 500hp and I would be happier. Enjoy your GT-R but it is not a car I want to own. No manual Tranny = not my type of car.
I agree 100% with your statement. If your going to go with only 1 transmission option, then stick-shift is priority #1, might care about auto tran fans BMW goofed with the recent m5, but partially rectified their issue and still goofed
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM
4DC

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
There is a lot of misinformation going on here.First off,Even on a AWD car,there is a lot of give when it comes to differences in tire diamaters when only replacing one.First off,if you measures the diamter of 4 new tires,you will usually find a variance of maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch.If one tire on one axle is totaly worn out it makes sence to replace both but the other axle could care less.Secondly,a tire plug is an accepted repair but wil never be endorsed by a tire manufaturer.Ther is a chance that the plug could cause excessive cord damage seeing as you have to make a nail hole much larger to get the plug in.Thirdly,the reason you can't patch a GTR tire is because they use a knurled bead and once the bead is originally seated,it will never reseal if to try to remount it.A patch on thread portion of a tire will never cuase a problem if installed correctly.
I'd like to see that take place, I have never heard of identical tires being that far off in measured diameters. Half of an inch is alot when tolerances are allowable up to 2-3 32nd's of and inch. A quarter of an inch is 8 32nd's and the Bridgestone Potenza when new has 9 32nd's so what you are saying is that the variance can be the entire tread thickness of a new tire. Highly doubtful.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by 4DC
I'd like to see that take place, I have never heard of identical tires being that far off in measured diameters. Half of an inch is alot when tolerances are allowable up to 2-3 32nd's of and inch. A quarter of an inch is 8 32nd's and the Bridgestone Potenza when new has 9 32nd's so what you are saying is that the variance can be the entire tread thickness of a new tire. Highly doubtful.
Ask a NASCAR tire changer how many"identical" tires he has to mount to find the stagger variances he wants.Out of set of 4 new tires mounted on the same type wheels and properly inflated,more often than not you will have 4 different diameters,maybe not much but some for sure especially if the tires came from different runs.I work on a sprint car team where we routinely mount 4 or 5 right rears at a time.All spec tires,all Hoosiers,all same size but we can see 3-4 inch diamter variance.This is a good thing because stagger is the most important tuning tool we use.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
4DC

3-4 inches in diameter is a huge variance, I still have a problem beliving that. Think of it this way the Bridgstone Potenza RE070 255-40-20 is one of the oem tires for the GT-R and the overall tire diameter "Tire Height" is 27.9 inches. Now if you add 2-3 inches in variance the you are going to have serious issues with final drive ratio. I don't belive they would put 27.9 if they really mean approx. 28 inches. Remember the GT-R is about exact tolerances, remenber the engines are built by hand in a hermetically sealed room.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
foreveryoung

I used the sprint car tire as an extreme example.Believe me its true.We run anywhere from 10 -15 inchs stagger on the rear.We can get different left rear tire sizes but R/R is a spec size and compound.Remember ,these are big tires.Diameter is usually 102-106 inch.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
4DC

I think you have your measurements mixed up a 102 inch diameter tire would be 8 and 1/2 feet tall.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by 4DC
I think you have your measurements mixed up a 102 inch diameter tire would be 8 and 1/2 feet tall.
No,you are mixed up.The DIAMETER of a tire is the circumference,not the hieght.A tire with a 102 in DIAMETER is about 35 in HIGH.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 PM
foreveryoung

Maybe I'm not so smart.I actually mean circumference or outside diameter.By my just using the term diameter,I can see why you are so confused.My Bad. Another common term is tire roll-out

Last edited by foreveryoung; 04-04-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-04-2009, 02:57 PM
4DC

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
No,you are mixed up.The DIAMETER of a tire is the circumference,not the hieght.A tire with a 102 in DIAMETER is about 35 in HIGH.
No actually the diameter is the diameter the distance across a circle, if you have a tire that has a circumfrence of 102 inches the diameter will be 32.49 inches approximately. Try the equation circumfrence 102 devided by PI 3.14 and you get your diameter.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by 4DC
No actually the diameter is the diameter the distance across a circle, if you have a tire that has a circumfrence of 102 inches the diameter will be 32.49 inches approximately. Try the equation circumfrence 102 devided by PI 3.14 and you get your diameter.
Ok,I'll come clean.I actually went and looked in the dictionary for Diameter.You are right,distance across a circle but I have beem meaning the circumference.Now that I have explained my F-up,maybe my input earlier about tire size makesmore sense
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
4DC

Yeah it does make sense, but as far as variances go, when it is street tires with a low tread depth like I said before, you are not going to see much in the way of measurable variance.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
dieselmcore

wow, this is still goin on :P ?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
migy28

nice ride
Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
cwest350

Originally Posted by dieselmcore

listen nissan, i know the gt-r is your crown jewel and all, but its not a Mclaren F1 ! i hate it when car companies do this to their customers...

i think you hit the nail on the head right there. no pun intended

nissan is taking this whole voiding the warranty to a level i've never heard or seen before...
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM
QX1Z

All wheel drive, they make you change all four tires. I have to do the same with my Audi. The ultra techo GT-R Nissan is gonna insist on changing all four tires or void the warranty for sure.

Quick Reply: Being A GT-R Owner Sux A$S Sometimes!