Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Being A GT-R Owner Sux A$S Sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyway, if i was you i would get that "bad" tire back !!! save it !!!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plugs are not designed to go into the sidewall, it needs to be on a flat tread surface.
I've never plugged a motorcycle tire since the cost isn't all that high, my rear is around 150 + 25 for mounting, I get about 3000 miles from a rear so if I get a nail in it at 1500 miles I'm already done with half the life.

Like I said before, some people think plugs are the worst thing ever, and clearly you dislike them, that's fine with me, it's your money. My 350Z is nothing more then a toy so when I take it out, I have fun with it, never do I just drive from point a to point b, we're making around the same power and again, to this day, zero issues with my rear tire being plugged, even when spinning tires up to 3rd and driving it bawls out fast on the backroads, or doing a highway run. Something else is going to give before my plug leaks.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
anyway, if i was you i would get that "bad" tire back !!! save it !!!
What tire? you mean TIRES, all 4 of them.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he only got one....
Old 03-28-2009, 02:28 PM
dieselmcore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
i think he only got one....
yup only got one
Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 PM
avandss

did you keep the blown one?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM
dieselmcore

yea, still with me, patched it up, and its sittin there..
Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
rramos28

I have patched my tire before and I have not had a problem. I just dont know why would you take your car to the stealership because it had a nail in the tire. I would have taken it to a good tire shop and I would have avoided that headache with the stealership.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
03Tour6Spd

Ok What makes the GT-R a good track car? Not its power to weight ratio. It's performance comes from its AWD system and computers. Now it is reading all of your wheel speeds hundreds of times per second and it is doing most of its traction control/stab. control off of these calculations. It reads each tire individually and you throw in a tire with a slightly larger diameter it is going to say hey this tire is spinning slower and this fugs up a lot of the GT-R's fancy footwork, BUT with such low mileage you should really just measure the tire compared to a new one. I'm sure even beating on the car that it is only going to be a 1-2/32" difference which is probably not low enough to cause problems and they are PROBABLY just trying to be cautious as said before if they send your car out saying its fine with 1 new tire and it messes something up it would be there fault. You would be making a thread right now saying they are stupid and don't know anything about there cars and blah blah. /end rant

btw I think a patch would be fine even at those high speeds but didn't Nissan say something about not re-mounting the tires used?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Tour6Spd
Ok What makes the GT-R a good track car? Not its power to weight ratio. It's performance comes from its AWD system and computers. Now it is reading all of your wheel speeds hundreds of times per second and it is doing most of its traction control/stab. control off of these calculations. It reads each tire individually and you throw in a tire with a slightly larger diameter it is going to say hey this tire is spinning slower and this fugs up a lot of the GT-R's fancy footwork, BUT with such low mileage you should really just measure the tire compared to a new one. I'm sure even beating on the car that it is only going to be a 1-2/32" difference which is probably not low enough to cause problems and they are PROBABLY just trying to be cautious as said before if they send your car out saying its fine with 1 new tire and it messes something up it would be there fault. You would be making a thread right now saying they are stupid and don't know anything about there cars and blah blah. /end rant

btw I think a patch would be fine even at those high speeds but didn't Nissan say something about not re-mounting the tires used?
If the size of the tire at any given moment while you are on a track is what effects the stability of the car, then this car fails no matter what.

First of all, i don't believe that the speed of the wheel spin is measured at the extreme outer most edges of the wheels. Secondly, I don't see how your explanation of a slightly new/older discrepancy would cause problems. Let's say you do a fancy maneuver on the track, like....let's say TURN! When you turn, more weight is distributed on the wheels toward the outside of the turn. This added weight would decrease the diameter of the tire much more than slight wearing of the tread. Additionally, your rear tires will wear more quickly than your front. Lastly, the tires will never wear exactly the same.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
03Tour6Spd

I'm sorry I don't mean the car will drive like crap and you will be 10sec slower around a track. I am just saying when you leave a dealer your car should be perfect. Your tires do wear differently but it is not as much as swapping out a new tire with an already worn one. I am a tech at a dealership (no not nissan) and I know the manufacturers get **** about anything that isn't "normal". Back to mrg you are correct and the differences in tire height would have a manufacturer more worried with there hardware then the performance of its traction control systems, but I don't know what you mean by the wheel speed isn't measured by most outer edge of the tires. If your car is traveling a set speed and 1 tire on an axle is bigger then another that entire axle will be spinning slower then the other because of the different outer most edge size.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 PM
dieselmcore

interesting... the problem is, when the car arrived, the owners were briefed on what to expect, and what they should and shouldnt do

the tyre thing wasnt mentioned at all,

no one at nissan gt-r said: oh yea, and if u puncture 1 tyre we have to replace all 4, or else ur warranty is voided

that was another thing i argued with them about... !

EDIT: to all potential GT-R owners, please make sure to chose your dealer EXTRA carfeully, cause nissan fusses as much about its warranty and what u can cant do about this car ALOT! so, consider that...

infact the only thing that makes this car suck is the way dealers around the globe are handling the customers warranties and issues...

end part 2 of rant...

Last edited by dieselmcore; 03-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 PM
mrg1981

but I don't know what you mean by the wheel speed isn't measured by most outer edge of the tires. If your car is traveling a set speed and 1 tire on an axle is bigger then another that entire axle will be spinning slower then the other because of the different outer most edge size.
I just mean that the extremely small difference in diameter (measured in mm) should not negatively impact the performance of the stability control or traction control systems. That's what I meant about the extreme outer most edge (i.e. very small differences between tires).
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
03Tour6Spd

Oh ok. Well you also have to look into the ABS system which again will not make a huge difference but ABS is extremely precise with its measurements and going in a straight line stopping it WILL think the larger tire has more grip then the others. But unless he knows the difference in his worn tire size compared to a new tire who knows. If he chewed off 5/32" in 2-3k miles then they are completely justified with there suggestion.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 PM
mrg1981

Oh ok. Well you also have to look into the ABS system which again will not make a huge difference but ABS is extremely precise with its measurements and going in a straight line stopping it WILL think the larger tire has more grip then the others. But unless he knows the difference in his worn tire size compared to a new tire who knows. If he chewed off 5/32" in 2-3k miles then they are completely justified with there suggestion.
Wouldn't the inflation of the tires impact the size more drastically than normal wear and tear?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM
03Tour6Spd

Depending on the degree of wear and or inflation yes which is why this is extremely important as well. Test it out go take 5 psi out of one of your front tires and go down the highway and see the difference it makes.

As for diesel ALL AWD cars are recommended to replace all 4 tires to match. NO manufacturer will tell you this when there trying to sell you a car unless you ask. You cannot just blame Nissan on that one. Call up a Porsche service dept. and ask if you can replace 1 tire on a 911 turbo after they have wear on them and see what they say.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

well, gotta pay to play.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
zstreet86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds ridiculous, but it comes with the territory on that car. i think you definitely got ripped. Lets say you did replace all 4 tires. are they going to reimburse you for damages if you blow out a tire and wreck the car? hell no they arent! they are trying to scam you.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:55 PM
SoldzMyZ

lol that's crazy. 5000 brake changes **** THAT!!! Nissan is crazy to treat this car like its a Farrari. Its a Nissan for gods sakes. **** THAT give me a corvette and call it a day.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
SageZ

Originally Posted by AllStock
im still trying to figure out why you'd take your GTR to the stealership because you had a nail in your tire. are you some kind of stupid?

Originally Posted by rramos28
I have patched my tire before and I have not had a problem. I just dont know why would you take your car to the stealership because it had a nail in the tire. I would have taken it to a good tire shop and I would have avoided that headache with the stealership.
The OP stated that the tire was leaking air, so he took it to the stealer obviously thinking it was a factory flaw or whatever and did'nt realize it was a nail until inspection. Helps to read. Do you feel stupid?

Last edited by SageZ; 03-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Being A GT-R Owner Sux A$S Sometimes!