Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nissan GT-R Owner Voids Warranty, Grenades $36K Engine [Blown Engines]

hey guys.. i found this on the zilvia.net sorry if this is a repost

Originally Posted by ZilviaBot
02-01-2010 10:00 AM

A member over at NAGTROC made the mistake of modifying his Nissan GT-R engine while it was still under its temperamental warranty. So, when he then broke the cylinder block, he was completely screwed. How it happened, plus pictures, below.

If you'll remember, Nissan's already a bit finicky when it comes to the warranty on the GT-R. But once you start modifying the car in any way — that already-less-than-stellar warranty becomes about as useful as poison ivy when you're looking to wipe your ***.

You can read his description of what happened below and share your theory. For what's it's worth, he thinks he ran the wrong software for the fuel he was putting in his car in Lebanon:

after less than a month driving my GTR after my perfect gearbox rebuilt, i was cruising today on 3rd gear, then i decided to shift to second gear to overtake a car, i down shifted , car accelerates like a missile, then 1 k before cutoff i hear a uninterupted sound like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr coming from the engine, and some smoke going out of the engine, i look at the oil pressure and oil light in dash they are ok , i look in my rear view mirror and i see oil , i shift to neutral shut down the car and go to the side of the road to stop. i get down of the car open the engine from where smoke is going out, and i see all the oil under the car... at that point i was CONVINCED its an oil pipe that is broken, i called road service to get towed, go to the workshop, and... guess what............ broken cylinder block...... something seems to have broken on the crank, or piston or pushrods and made a big mess..the block is broken on both sides, i guess the broken part blew off left then right.. i was running on AP stage 2 97 version 2.0

the bad news:

- i got AP , Y pipe and 5zigen, car is already blacklisted and out of warranty

-new engine is 55,000 us$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!

-i'm really really pissed

-i hate nissan management!

-we don't know yet the extent of the damage inside the engine

the only good news:

unlike the GR6, nissan sells engine parts and not only complete assembly.. otherwise i would put fuel on the car and burn it in front of the nissan showroom

here is some pics, can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

For the record — the owner checked with a dealership and a new engine costs closer to $36K.

the fuel we have in lebanon is 98 octane RON while in the US its 93 AKI and not RON. when i downloaded the new AP software , i had to choose the country, and since my GTR is a US spec car, i choosed USJDM software and i ran on stage 2 97 octane software. the 97 octane of the US maps is AKI while i was running 98 octane RON. and 98 octane RON appears to be less than 93 octane AKI... timing settings should have been different... i should have stayed on version 1.08B

[NAGTROC]

More...

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....pic=36946&st=0

Last edited by nismo_nate; 02-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
SatchScream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

id hate to be that guy...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't understand people that buy a highly specialized machine, then get pissed because they modify it and it breaks, and their warranty is no longer void. Leave the f'in thing alone or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

If you've got the cash to buy the car, and the ***** to modify it, then you shouldn't be complaining about having to buy a new engine, at any price. Oh well, he can always buy a used engine from one of the crashed ones
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I don't understand people that buy a highly specialized machine, then get pissed because they modify it and it breaks, and their warranty is no longer void. Leave the f'in thing alone or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

If you've got the cash to buy the car, and the ***** to modify it, then you shouldn't be complaining about having to buy a new engine, at any price. Oh well, he can always buy a used engine from one of the crashed ones
+1
It's one thing to add a CAI or Exhaust. That shouldn't void the entire warranty, because they have to prove that the modifications caused or could have caused the problem.
For instance, you add new tires to your car and the engine blows while driving on a surface road at 30mph at 2500rpm. It's not from the tires. They honor the warranty.
You get a new EMS or chip or software to manage fuel, timing, etc, and you do it incorrectly and that causes the engine to blow up during a high RPM down shift on the freeway....ummm...they'd have to be stupid to honor the warranty! Come on...he admits guilt. It still sucks, but he needs to man up. He should never have even mentioned the warranty. It should be self-explanatory that it is not a warranty issue.

From wikipedia:
a warranty is "...a guarantee of the reliability of a product under conditions of ordinary use." "Such warranties usually do not cover "acts of God", owner abuse, malicious destruction, commercial use, or anything, for that matter, outside of a mechanical failure incurred with normal personal usage.
This is pretty much common knowledge and common sense.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Wheels shipped to 20105.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 AM
tiguy99

Lmao ^ ^
Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 AM
duro78

Originally Posted by gmueip
Wheels shipped to 20105.
lmao I see that car sitting for a longtime. Should part it out
Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i say.. if he can afford a $80k+ car.. he should afford a new/used motor lol..
Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess he should have researched his "software mod" more extensively.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
zbullet

What kind of car was he trying to overtake where he had to downshift in the GTR from 3rd to 2nd to pass it lol?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zbullet
What kind of car was he trying to overtake where he had to downshift in the GTR from 3rd to 2nd to pass it lol?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zbullet
When driving my car there might not be any cars around me and I'll down shift to the highest RPM gear my car will allow, it's not about passing a car, its about having fun with your toy.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That was a pretty stupid mistake. Almost like using a ragged edge 93 octane tune on a car using 91 octane.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This.

There are alot of details that the owner is leaving out and it sounds like he was trying to DIY a tune. Not very smart.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
zbullet

Originally Posted by jeffie7
When driving my car there might not be any cars around me and I'll down shift to the highest RPM gear my car will allow, it's not about passing a car, its about having fun with your toy.
Yes I know I'm sure we all do it. My point was that he has a tuned GTR, Im sure he could of just pressed harder on the gas and be able to overtake said car, unless your telling me that a tuned GTR has a shitty power band and it needs to be up in the revs in order to pass a car at crusing speeds.

I also know exactly what you mean, my above comment was for lulz.

On another note after reading the octane levels I will agree with what was said above, it wasnt the smartest thing for him to run a tune that was specified for a particular octane level.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
mD2MHK

would drive that thing stock
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
tylerxfire

sounds to be a tuning issue and the car was probalby extremely lean or something..his own fault not having it tuned properly
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM
UMW350Z

+1000000000

I knew I threw my warranty out the window with my turbo and I expect nothing from Nissan as I willfully and knowingly modded the car way past what it was engineered to handle.

How dumb are you to play with fire and cry when you get burned.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R Owner Voids Warranty, Grenades $36K Engine [Blown Engines]