Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Is the 2012 GTR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 AM
John H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Well, if she's going to get the GTR, she's going to get the 997... so might as well go for it now. If can get my monthly payments down and swap it to a lease or something then I don't technically own the car. Might work out better for me.

I own the Porsche... and it kills me to have to get rid of it.... and I'm under no pressure yet, but I see the storm clouds on the horizon. I imagine just the word "Porsche" gets lawyers and judges in a bad mood... so yeah, anyhow...

WA is a 50/50 state... you just split everything down the middle... that helps. I think I can get the two car seats in the back of the GTR way easier... if I had bought a hard top 997, I probably wouldn't in quite as much of a hurry.
That is unfortunate. I too went through a divorce, after a marriage of 10 years. My battles were fought on two fronts, EU and USA. At the end, my war chest was empty. Casualties included my Y2K C5 Roadster and DMC #4115.

Not certain how evil and/or vindictive your wife is; however, from my experiences, if the soon to be ex-wife knows you are fond of something (property), she will likely come after it....just to spite you.

I wish you luck in your divorce. If you want to talk, PM me. Keep your head up. No surrender!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
That's some flawed logic...how bout you buy a beater until the divorce is finalized?
Definitely is flawed... but if I get rid of the Porsche at least I'm doing it on my terms. Small victories man... F her.

I had a Z a long time ago for whoever asked... I've owned 5 Nissans actually, more than any other car maker.

As for a beater, I have my "buddies" truck. I'm covered in other words...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by John H.
That is unfortunate. I too went through a divorce, after a marriage of 10 years. My battles were fought on two fronts, EU and USA. At the end, my war chest was empty. Casualties included my Y2K C5 Roadster and DMC #4115.

Not certain how evil and/or vindictive your wife is; however, from my experiences, if the soon to be ex-wife knows you are fond of something (property), she will likely come after it....just to spite you.

I wish you luck in your divorce. If you want to talk, PM me. Keep your head up. No surrender!

Yeah, she's pretty damn mean.. Thanks btw!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 PM
SalmanZ

Get the 2010 and get Switzer to put the P800 package on there
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by SalmanZ
Get the 2010 and get Switzer to put the P800 package on there
I haven't done any research into how these cars are holding up under mods... but is this setup a drivable tune? I was thinking about that as well, but I was also thinking it may be better to just keep a car stock for a change....

The chances of this whole deal working might be slim, so we'll see... Meeting with them on Tuesday for the 2012, and I'll check out the 2010/11 if that doesn't work.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM
SE5spd

buy a 2012.

but also, buy a IROC thats beat to sh*t and then give it her since you are splitting everything
Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

well, if youre planning on modifying it, then get a 2010 or 2011, if your going to keep it stock, get the 2012. I have a hard time buying used sports cars as you dont really know how it was taken care of. I suppose you can take it to your local nissan dealership and they can check the black box to see how many time its been launched and hit the rev limiter or what not but thats one aspect of buying a used vehicle that scares me.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
SalmanZ

I haven't done any research into how these cars are holding up under mods... but is this setup a drivable tune? I was thinking about that as well, but I was also thinking it may be better to just keep a car stock for a change....

The chances of this whole deal working might be slim, so we'll see... Meeting with them on Tuesday for the 2012, and I'll check out the 2010/11 if that doesn't work.
I've only spoke to one owner who had the package (on a 2010) and he used it as a daily driver without issue. I think it's still a bit early to tell about the reliability but he hadn't had any issues with it though he's only had it installed for about 3 months.

The way the car launches and sounds though can't be put into words.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM
DrVolkl

Kinda weird... all these dealerships that "had" 2012's suddenly don't "have" them anymore...

F-in salesmen.... or there's been a mad rush to ****** up 2012's this past week.

I'm down to one real lead, and it sounds like I'm up against someone trading in a 2009 GTR on it. Hmmm... I heard they're in short supply, but this is nuts. Oh, and there's one other car I found somewhat locally, but it's marked up to $107k. Not quite what I'm willing to pay.

The 2010 is ready to go still, but I think 2012 is the way to go right now.

Are they done producing them in Japan right now or something, or did the Tsunami really screw up production? Is it supposed to get better? No one has said anything about me ordering a new one yet.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Darkside Mojo

Hey good luck with the divorce guy, I work with a bunch of guy's that have been through multiple divorces, and hear horror stories daily. Enough to want to donate my **** to science. But atleast she's happy with the Honda Manatee...... I mean Odysee. IMHO I wouldn't settle for 2009, even with a clean track record. I'd keep pushing for the new hotness, after all good things comes to those who date.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Well technically speaking you would think a later model would have more subtle updates which may noticeably improve performance. With that said, the beauty is in personally upgrading the performance. If I was fortunate enough to be in the market for one and money was not a factor then I'd g for the newest one possible or wait for one. If i were $ conscious then i'd go for the one with the best (un blemished) body\paint with lowest mileage and Hook her up!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Well technically speaking you would think a later model would have more subtle updates which may noticeably improve performance. With that said, the beauty is in personally upgrading the performance. If I was fortunate enough to be in the market for one and money was not a factor then I'd g for the newest one possible or wait for one. If i were $ conscious then i'd go for the one with the best (un blemished) body\paint with lowest mileage and Hook her up!
I've been having a hell of a time finding a 2012 anywhere... and the Nissan dealerships are kinda being a-holes about it. No one was really trying to work with me, or perhaps they just thought I was kicking tires... anyhow, after closer inspection of just how big the rear seats are and the lack of motivation from my local dealerships/etc, I've decided to go a completely different route.

I put a deposit down on a 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 6spd, recaros, white with black rims, panoramic sunroof etc etc... comes out a lot cheaper than the GTR at $73k The extra room is better for the kids, especially since they're still in car seats, and it's not as obnoxious as the GTR (and by that I mean to the wife/judge, I'd rather have the GTR). They're giving me a fair trade on my 997 that will actually put cash back in my pocket.

Downgrade complete... I'll get my GTR in a few years when things settle down, in the meantime I gotta pay the lawyer anything extra... just wrote another $3k check today. Awesome.

Thanks for the input... my dream of owning a GTR is once again going to have to wait a few years.

PS- Don't get married. It's way better to date... and the women actually like you and do nice things for you, and actually put out. Wives are just mean, annoying bitches who steal your soul and will to live. (well, not all of them, just mine) lol

Last edited by DrVolkl; 10-20-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

hehe, my wife just ordered me some parts for my car as an early christmas gift. I'm sure I'll go home and wreck her guts tonight too.

.. though we've only been married a year at this point. still enjoying it!

cts-v wagon .. awesome. iirc, the us top gear did a comparison between sedan/coupe/wagon and the wagon actually performed the best? crazy : ) bad *** car either way
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been having a hell of a time finding a 2012 anywhere... and the Nissan dealerships are kinda being a-holes about it. No one was really trying to work with me, or perhaps they just thought I was kicking tires... anyhow, after closer inspection of just how big the rear seats are and the lack of motivation from my local dealerships/etc, I've decided to go a completely different route.

I put a deposit down on a 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 6spd, recaros, white with black rims, panoramic sunroof etc etc... comes out a lot cheaper than the GTR at $73k The extra room is better for the kids, especially since they're still in car seats, and it's not as obnoxious as the GTR (and by that I mean to the wife/judge, I'd rather have the GTR). They're giving me a fair trade on my 997 that will actually put cash back in my pocket.

Downgrade complete... I'll get my GTR in a few years when things settle down, in the meantime I gotta pay the lawyer anything extra... just wrote another $3k check today. Awesome.

Thanks for the input... my dream of owning a GTR is once again going to have to wait a few years.

PS- Don't get married. It's way better to date... and the women actually like you and do nice things for you, and actually put out. Wives are just mean, annoying bitches who steal your soul and will to live. (well, not all of them, just mine) lol

The CTS V is one quick ride. I honestly think the CTS will be more fun. 6pd = Done. Excellent choice man. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by gang unit
My buddy and I went to Bancroft Nissan in Central Massachusetts acquiring the 2012 GTR.
After a long conversation with the master GT-R rep, my buddy decided to wait for 2013 model. He ordered his in white, and expecting to arrive sometime late in April 2012. During the his time dealing with the dealer, I was only inches away from their showroom floor....sitting there a used GTR in super silver staring at me. My buddy ordered his GTR in white since he knew for a fact that silver was/is mine in the near future.
For me, I wouldn't buy this car new. I'd rather save the $$ to upgrade and buying an extended warranty to have a piece of mind. My buddy thinks that I'm being cheap . I know I'm a much better shopper than he is. Yes, buy a 2010 with low miles Ned

??? Odd the local dealers (multiple) told me 2012's wouldn't be available until at least April 2012.

I looked at the price, how the car looked (ugh)and what I could buy for the $70K difference between a 370Z and GTR by the time you add taxes and all. I asked myself why and bought some property and a new 370Z. Hey property will go up GTR will go down and I'll still have as much fun if not more in a 370Z

And, if I was to buy a dedicated track car it would not be a GTR. Too hard to mod and there isn't much out there with which to mod your car imo.

For a lot cheaper ... and your gonna hate me... a Vette makes more sense.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Well, $20k is still $20k... that's why I'm asking... I guess a better way to put it would be, "If I buy a 2010 or 2011, am I going to regret not getting the 2012".

Is there any drawbacks to a 2010 model?

Color options are a little more abundant for the earlier cars... the 2012's are rare and mostly spoken for. I have a line on a SS one, but it's not really the color I want.

There are two white 2010/11 models available local and that is a color I want.

Just throwing ideas around in my head.... and any input is appreciated.
On your first question - yes

Not as fast and can have overheating problems after multiple launches if not careful to observe cool down time.

Get a red one !!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
... too many have described it as rather boring due to how composed it stays with all of the assists, paddle shifters and awd. they typically make those comments after blasting it around a track with great results, kind of funny.
This issuch a great point and why I am no longer listening to automotive journalists.
Step 1: disable many thousands of dollars worth of engineering.
Step 2: powerslide/drift the car for a few laps and lose the back end once or twice.
Step 3: write a review about how the car "handles"

It's ridiculous and I'm sick of it. Plus, it's influencing car makers because so many people "research" this crap online before their purchase and make buying decisions based on it.

/rant.

Last edited by DaveJackson; 10-21-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
??? Odd the local dealers (multiple) told me 2012's wouldn't be available until at least April 2012.

I looked at the price, how the car looked (ugh)and what I could buy for the $70K difference between a 370Z and GTR by the time you add taxes and all. I asked myself why and bought some property and a new 370Z. Hey property will go up GTR will go down and I'll still have as much fun if not more in a 370Z

And, if I was to buy a dedicated track car it would not be a GTR. Too hard to mod and there isn't much out there with which to mod your car imo.

For a lot cheaper ... and your gonna hate me... a Vette makes more sense.
Well, yeah, I ended up with a 4 door wagon vette. I haven't bought an American car in over 10 years... gonna be interesting. The build order/request should go out today, then I just wait... 3 months probably. I'm looking forward to cheap(er) modding with decent power gains. That ZR1 engine seems capable enough... at the end of the day it is what it is, fun family transportation, definitely no GTR or 997 turbo, but I think I'll be happy enough.

I'm still baffled by the Nissan dealerships... I'm guessing they just didn't make enough GTR's yet and the ones they did make are selling well/sold. The silver one I had a line on had body damage from transportation and the owner refused delivery... so even then I'd be getting a repaired car... other than that I couldn't find any besides the one listed for $116k which I didn't even bother inquiring about.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
This issuch a great point and why I am no longer listening to automotive journalists.
Step 1: disable many thousands of dollars worth of engineering.
Step 2: powerslide/drift the car for a few laps and lose the back end once or twice.
Step 3: write a review about how the car "handles"

It's ridiculous and I'm sick of it. Plus, it's influencing car makers because so many people "research" this crap online before their purchase and make buying decisions based on it.

/rant.
when I said 'too many have ..' I didn't specify automotive journalists, did I? I hear you, though, because most reviews from journalists have mentioned that. I have a handful of friends that have given the same sentiments from actual owning or driving experience. it's not hard to imagine that despite it's AMAZING performance and composure, it's a bit boring to drive without a man pedal and shifting your own gears. it feels very disconnecting from the experience.

I've driven an audi R8 around a track and the company that runs it only stocks auto w/ flappy paddles .. and even that was somewhat boring. I specifically picked the R8 because I thought it was manual only and every other car listed was automatic.

I want to drive the car myself, not have it driven for me. it's a preference that weighs more heavily on some then others.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Well, yeah, I ended up with a 4 door wagon vette. I haven't bought an American car in over 10 years... gonna be interesting. The build order/request should go out today, then I just wait... 3 months probably. I'm looking forward to cheap(er) modding with decent power gains. That ZR1 engine seems capable enough... at the end of the day it is what it is, fun family transportation, definitely no GTR or 997 turbo, but I think I'll be happy enough.

I'm still baffled by the Nissan dealerships... I'm guessing they just didn't make enough GTR's yet and the ones they did make are selling well/sold. The silver one I had a line on had body damage from transportation and the owner refused delivery... so even then I'd be getting a repaired car... other than that I couldn't find any besides the one listed for $116k which I didn't even bother inquiring about.
??? I'm confused ... You talking about Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon or something?

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the 2012 GTR worth it?