Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Is the 2012 GTR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
DrVolkl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2012 GTR worth it?

Or is it not enough of an upgrade to pass on a 2010 with under 10k miles?

Just wondering if the 2012 version is worth the extra $$$ they want for it right now.

Thoughts?

Any reason not to get a low mileage 2010?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Yup!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can afford either, does it matter?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
gang unit

My buddy and I went to Bancroft Nissan in Central Massachusetts acquiring the 2012 GTR.
After a long conversation with the master GT-R rep, my buddy decided to wait for 2013 model. He ordered his in white, and expecting to arrive sometime late in April 2012. During the his time dealing with the dealer, I was only inches away from their showroom floor....sitting there a used GTR in super silver staring at me. My buddy ordered his GTR in white since he knew for a fact that silver was/is mine in the near future.
For me, I wouldn't buy this car new. I'd rather save the $$ to upgrade and buying an extended warranty to have a piece of mind. My buddy thinks that I'm being cheap . I know I'm a much better shopper than he is. Yes, buy a 2010 with low miles Ned
Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 PM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If you can afford either, does it matter?
Well, $20k is still $20k... that's why I'm asking... I guess a better way to put it would be, "If I buy a 2010 or 2011, am I going to regret not getting the 2012".

Is there any drawbacks to a 2010 model?

Color options are a little more abundant for the earlier cars... the 2012's are rare and mostly spoken for. I have a line on a SS one, but it's not really the color I want.

There are two white 2010/11 models available local and that is a color I want.

Just throwing ideas around in my head.... and any input is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was in the same boat with getting a DE vs an HR.

i decided to get the HR and i'm glad i did in the end.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Mike Anthony

HR for the win! I bought my Z before I knew anything about the car. When I found out how much better the HR is, I was glad I got it.

Anywho, on topic, I personally would buy a brand new one. Don't know why, but I prefer it new. This probably doesn't help you at all, but I figured I'd give you my opinion.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

all we have are paper specs for you. I doubt many here have driven a GTR, let alone, the old and the new. if I could afford either, I'd get the latest myself. it's putting down some stellar times and a lot of people have commented on the improved feel

are you tracking the car at all? I'm curious as to why'd you go from a pretty nice drivers car to something that is pretty heavily computer driven? I am not in a position to afford anything that great yet - but here in dream land, the GTR is respected, but not lusted after. too many have described it as rather boring due to how composed it stays with all of the assists, paddle shifters and awd. they typically make those comments after blasting it around a track with great results, kind of funny.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Mike Anthony

Originally Posted by Entaille
all we have are paper specs for you. I doubt many here have driven a GTR, let alone, the old and the new. if I could afford either, I'd get the latest myself. it's putting down some stellar times and a lot of people have commented on the improved feel

are you tracking the car at all? I'm curious as to why'd you go from a pretty nice drivers car to something that is pretty heavily computer driven? I am not in a position to afford anything that great yet - but here in dream land, the GTR is respected, but not lusted after. too many have described it as rather boring due to how composed it stays with all of the assists, paddle shifters and awd. they typically make those comments after blasting it around a track with great results, kind of funny.
It's so easy it must take the fun out of it...? Haha
Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,Ive driven a Black Edition GTR.After you drive one,you will walk away and say its worth every penny.I drove(almost bought) a 2010.The latest GTR is much improved.
The "new one" coming out has a significant HP increase--hard to believe!
I still cannot warm up completely to the styling.However,the brute power and bang for the buck to the competition makes you overlook the squarish lines.

Yep,I'd buy one!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want a faster GTR get the '12

there is a difference, youtube can tell you about it
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

newer...faster... of course it is. i woudl do it if i could afford it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
OCMan

Originally Posted by gang unit
My buddy and I went to Bancroft Nissan in Central Massachusetts acquiring the 2012 GTR.
After a long conversation with the master GT-R rep, my buddy decided to wait for 2013 model. He ordered his in white, and expecting to arrive sometime late in April 2012. During the his time dealing with the dealer, I was only inches away from their showroom floor....sitting there a used GTR in super silver staring at me. My buddy ordered his GTR in white since he knew for a fact that silver was/is mine in the near future.
For me, I wouldn't buy this car new. I'd rather save the $$ to upgrade and buying an extended warranty to have a piece of mind. My buddy thinks that I'm being cheap . I know I'm a much better shopper than he is. Yes, buy a 2010 with low miles Ned
same here, after long conversation, my buddy decided to wait for 2021.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
DrVolkl

Partially cost (cheaper to switch right now) and partially size (a little more room in the back seats for the kids).

Going through a divorce and the 997 turbo cab is an awesome daily driver, but not as practical as I was hoping for.... No real other reason than that.

I should mention that I've already dumped my 2010 S4 and the (x)wife is getting the odyssey. I've been "borrowing" a friends truck for the kid duties, but I'd rather not have to keep swapping cars every time... just not convenient.

Last edited by DrVolkl; 10-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure you read post #6 in this thread.... https://my350z.com/forum/media-share...ck-to-a-z.html
Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

makes total sense, and sorry you are going through that hombre. I was thinking it was a lateral move for fun sakes.

on the bright side - I'm glad that you're still able to swing something as fun as a GTR while going through divorce. my dad's going through it now and he can barely hang onto his old Bronco. : )
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
DrVolkl

makes total sense, and sorry you are going through that hombre. I was thinking it was a lateral move for fun sakes.

on the bright side - I'm glad that you're still able to swing something as fun as a GTR while going through divorce. my dad's going through it now and he can barely hang onto his old Bronco. : )
Well, if she's going to get the GTR, she's going to get the 997... so might as well go for it now. If can get my monthly payments down and swap it to a lease or something then I don't technically own the car. Might work out better for me.

I own the Porsche... and it kills me to have to get rid of it.... and I'm under no pressure yet, but I see the storm clouds on the horizon. I imagine just the word "Porsche" gets lawyers and judges in a bad mood... so yeah, anyhow...

WA is a 50/50 state... you just split everything down the middle... that helps. I think I can get the two car seats in the back of the GTR way easier... if I had bought a hard top 997, I probably wouldn't in quite as much of a hurry.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Well, if she's going to get the GTR, she's going to get the 997... so might as well go for it now. If can get my monthly payments down and swap it to a lease or something then I don't technically own the car. Might work out better for me.

I own the Porsche... and it kills me to have to get rid of it.... and I'm under no pressure yet, but I see the storm clouds on the horizon. I imagine just the word "Porsche" gets lawyers and judges in a bad mood... so yeah, anyhow...

WA is a 50/50 state... you just split everything down the middle... that helps. I think I can get the two car seats in the back of the GTR way easier... if I had bought a hard top 997, I probably wouldn't in quite as much of a hurry.
That's some flawed logic...how bout you buy a beater until the divorce is finalized?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

6 year member and you do not own a 350Z. I don't get it.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by DrVolkl

Sorry to hear about your divorce. I've been through it as well (3 years ago). As for the GT-R I've been toying with buying an IS-F, or used GT-R. I looked at many GT-R forums and a Road & Track article that talks about putting 1 or 2 kids in the back seat. They have all been very informative and the pictures are worth a thousand words. I will find the threads on nagtroc and road & track and post them up for you.

Quick Reply: Is the 2012 GTR worth it?