Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:59 AM
netman_one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!

BTW: I give up (as of today) on the GT ZR plan. Still cannot get an answer from my passport nissan dealer on it's price until February now, and they and the nissan news site both indicate that the GT ZR will not be available as an automatic (even though their printed selection guide you may pick up at a dealer indicates automatic as a GT option). Am Tired of waiting on Nissan and I still love what I already own! (9,200 miles now) - So now it's time for the Mods to begin, and New wheels is where I have started...

Placed my New wheels/tires order today with tirerack.com
(The original tires are still fine, I figured what the hell, get both)

Found an unbelievable difference in price compared to my local Mienike Tire shop that I have dealt with for years, plus Tire Rack gave me their pre-January pricing increase today, as their BBS rim prices went up overnight (have been scoping wheels out the last couple of days). The difference/savings between them and the brick & mortor shop was $150+ less for Each Wheel and $100+ less for Each tire (for the exact same items). I Highly reccomend shopping them....

Here is what I deceided on (arrives February):
Front: 18x8.5 BBS RGR Bright Silver
Rear: 18x9.5 BBS RGR Bright Silver

Front: 245/40YR-18 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
Rear: 275/40YR-18 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position

Mount and balance - no charge, Shipping: $53.48

Now to look at what to Modify next! - I am excited!
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!-bbs_rgr_bsp_ci3_l.jpeg  
Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 PM
netman_one

OK, now that I placed my order for my BBS wheels today in Bright Silver Paint (above), I am still torn between them and the same BBS wheel in Diamond Black Painted. Went with the silver as I was thinking it would best accent the ZR silver touches (handles, etc). But I keep thinking the diamond black finish will compliment the slightly more aggresive look I was going for with the new F&R tire size's selected.

So please help me out fellow Z lovers, (it's not too late to make a switch if I call them by Monday morning) should I stick with the Silver for the brighter look and match of our Z cars accents, or do the slightly darker look of BBS RGR instead, OR are you guys "not feeling" my BBS choice for a Super Black ZR!

So Help me out... so many wheel choices, had enough decisions just in narrowing it down to these two wheel styles (attaching diamond black pic below, silver look in prior post).
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!-bbs_rgr_db_ci3_l.jpg  
Old 01-07-2005, 08:17 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the darker one.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 AM
netman_one

So Help me out... so many wheel choices, had enough decisions just in narrowing it down to these two wheel styles (attaching diamond black pic below, silver look in prior post). [/B][/QUOTE]

90 Views and only 1 reply...
Guess no one (besides me) likes my BBS Wheels...wah...
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!-dsc00275.jpg  
Old 01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Diamond BLACK!! Also why did you not go 19"s?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:04 PM
netman_one

Originally posted by aznmojo
Diamond BLACK!! Also why did you not go 19"s?
Leaning to make the change back to Diamond Black (still like the bright look of the silver finish also), was originally going with that and wife wanted me to go with the silver finish. But I think the DB will look best on SB ZR. Just placed order Friday and the rears were not in stock yet, so should be no big deal to switch color choice Monday to DB finish.

Regarding your 19" Question.
Frankly... Cost was the only real reason.
The 18"s F $604, R $628 cost me $2,466 for the wheels.
Plus the tires chosen for that size are F $224, R $277 each.

If I went with 19" Wheels, additional cost would be $192 more for each Front, and $195 more for each Rear Wheel plus tire considerations as well. $3,521.48 (delivered) was enough (for me) for this one mod... guess if I was not a wage slave, another $774 for the wheels alone would be NP. Gotta draw the $$ line somewhere, started off looking at HRE wheels...

And wife still can't see why I will not wait for my OEM RE040 tires to wear out first before I buy new Potenza S-03 tires (with larger size widths). Oh well... Some things just cannot be explained to some people...
Old 01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
netman_one

BLACK TOURING Z ROADSTER
http://www.cardomain.com/id/aznmojo

Checked out your ride aznmojo
Nice Ride! - Course you know I am partial to a SB with BO seats!
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels/Tires for my SB Baby!-netsig.jpg  
Old 01-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Built2shredZ

I went with the darker color SSR GT3 rims on mine.. the silver was just to bright...
Old 01-09-2005, 06:02 PM
netman_one

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
I went with the darker color SSR GT3 rims on mine.. the silver was just to bright...
Agree, will be going with the BBS wheel in Diamond Black. Will call them in the morning to make the change from silver. Should get those wheels sooner now as both F&R in Diamond Black were currently available. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
netman_one

FYI: Specs - if anyone else is interested in wheels upgrade.

350Z Wheels
Standard 17":
Alum Alloy
F-17x7.5
23.259lbs
R-17x8
24.140lbs

Touring 18":
Alum Alloy
F-18x8 (F-225/45WR18)
R-18x8 (R-245/45WR18)
26.565 lbs

Upgrade to BBS RGR Wheels
18x8.5 Front 19.8 lbs. (245/40YR-18)
18x9.5 Rear 20.3 lbs. (275/40YR-18)

Quote below from ZLAND member thread:
"Wheels: If you are most interested in looks, 19” might be your best bet. Just remember the 2 negatives of 19” tires. Negative #1 is you will run a very low profile tire thus more likely to bend a wheel (and ride a little rougher). Negative #2: weight of wheel is greater and for every 6lbs you add to a wheel/tire, you lose 1 hp. If you want a combination of looks and performance, then 18 wheels might be a wise choice. You get a slightly lighter wheel thus a little more hp but it does not have as aggressive of a look as the 19” wheels."

With my 18" BBS choice, I will be... (More HP!)
6.765 pounds lighter on each new front wheel
6.265 pounds lighter on each new rear wheel

26.06 lbs. combined = approx weight of One 18" OEM wheel.

BTW: The upgrade tire size's were calculated correctly for speedo matching and the understeer/oversteer issue.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 AM
netman_one

Sheesh, never had so much trouble in my life to make up my mind about something. Keep looking at the BBS wheels color on tirerack.com. They have a neat image of the ZR car in your color selection where you can see what the wheels will look like (kinda) on your color ZR car.

The more I keep looking at that image with either wheel finish on, I think the dark wheels may look dull (even dirty), and the silver finish make the car stand out more (plus they match the door handles, etc.). Am also considering the brake dust we get on the front (why I chose wheels that did not have the studs look effect in outer rim area - PIA to clean), even though I already switched to a lower dust pad.

Probally have been thinking too hard on this wheel selection, and apoligize for wasting any time and board space about this first real Mod I am making... Going to stick with my silver choice made, as they seem to compliment the car finish & it's silver accents the best.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 AM
netman_one

JUST CALL ME AN IDIOT! - after my last post above, called the wheel rep up later at tire rack and had him go to his own showroom and look at both wheel styles (cause I can not find the BBS anywhere around here, to judge the color myself in person) and to let me know what the diamond black finish really looks like to him (cause it's so dam hard to clearly tell by the on-line picture).

By his detailed description, I am going with the diamond black.

Seems my obsession with my car has now reached a new high!

Please forgive my excessive posting!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

haha hey this is about your car, no such thing as excessive posting!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Built2shredZ

The rims will look diferent in person.... With my GT3's the satin finish rims look darker on tirerack.com then it did when it arrived... I was a little worried about picking them myself, but i'm glad I did... plus they do hide the brake dust better

Im thinking about painting my door handles the color of the car... to me the silver door handles breaks up the flow of the car and makes it look smaller then it is... Might have them paint the headlight casings also while the shop is at it..
Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
netman_one

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
The rims will look diferent in person.... With my GT3's the satin finish rims look darker on tirerack.com then it did when it arrived... I was a little worried about picking them myself, but i'm glad I did... plus they do hide the brake dust better

Im thinking about painting my door handles the color of the car... to me the silver door handles breaks up the flow of the car and makes it look smaller then it is... Might have them paint the headlight casings also while the shop is at it..
Thanks for the info on your own experience with yours.

Got a call from tire rack that my stuff should arrive sometime tomorrow (THE DB rears were in stock). WooHoo! - Plan to get them on this Wednesday morning, since I will be laid up from Thursday on for awhile... Figure I can crutch myself out to the garage later on, and since it's my left knee (surgery), will be back in the Z soon enough!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Rayden2001

Those should look good on a z