Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

How loud is too loud in the Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
RedLeader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is too loud in the Roadster?

Howdy roadster owners. The first thing I changed on my car was the exhaust. Now, I'm thinking about resonated test pipes or high-flow cats to accompany my new twin turbo kit. Are straight test pipes too loud? Are the resonated pipes and hi-flows any quieter? Anybody have words of wisdom? I'd love to hear from people that have previously and/or are currently running pipes or cats on their convertible.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What Exhasut do you have now?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
RedLeader

I'm running the Stillen dual, and it sounds much better than stock, but it could be louder without being annoying. I've read posts suggesting that the turbo kits actually quiet the exhaust.
I'll know firsthand in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to avoid having to pay for setup time on the dyno and then changing components and having to retune.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been Pondering the Injen, and looking at the Borla. I love the Stock Growl, but want it a tad louder.. My K&N Typhoon Actually made the Stock exhaust Sound quieter in the lower RPMs and Louder in the High?!?...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 AM
THE ROADSTER

I got Borla and It's very quiet. the stock is louder. If you are looking for sound then Borla is not the one but if you want performance, then Borla is the one.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:43 AM
RedLeader

To get back to my original question: Are any roadsters running resonated or non-res test pipes or high-flow cats? (I already replaced the cat-back portion of the system). I'd like to hear from anybody that's using test pipes or high-flow cats?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Darthvol

Originally posted by brucekgt
To get back to my original question: Are any roadsters running resonated or non-res test pipes or high-flow cats? (I already replaced the cat-back portion of the system). I'd like to hear from anybody that's using test pipes or high-flow cats?
I am running Crawford hign-flows. I also agree w/above post to the effect that Borla won't add much sound, if any (don't think it's quieter than stock, though), but looks great, adds hp and lowers weight.

The point is that most of my extra noise is coming from the headers and high-flow cats, rather than the exhaust or plenum. I LOVE the sound of my car after I had it "Crawfordized," but my wife, who also has a Z roadster (hers is PPW w/a blue roof, so we don't completely look like twinkies) thinks my car is too loud. From the sound of your earlier posts, however, I don't think YOU'LL think it's too loud; just be prepared to turn up the stereo a bit more when cruising at over 3k rpm.

Just my personal preference, but I wouldn't go w/ a louder exhaust PLUS test pipes or high-flows in a roadster. However, opinions on what is too loud run the gamut, and I've seen posts from coupe drivers complaining that nothing but a Crawford plenum is too loud, and yet other posts b****ing that even with test pipes, Injen exh. (pretty loud, IMO), and headers, they just can't get their car loud enough, defined by one dude as "I want people to think the world is coming to an end when I drive by."

If you wanna know for sure what YOU would like, your best bet would be to find a Z club meeting in your area, and chances are good that you would find a modded roadster to listen to yourself. B/c I live in Mid-TN, I had the chance to hang out some at Crawford and finally heard almost all the different combos before I bought anything. Good luck and let us know what you choose to do.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
RedLeader

Darthvol-
That's the kind of evaluation I needed. Thanks so much.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Speed Dreams

Great info since that will be the next mod..........
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
mvisit1

Sorry to revive an old thread, but better that then to start a new one and get flamed for not using the search function...right?

When I bought my '06 DB ZR, it had the Borla TD on it...it has a nice deep exhaust note, but it's waaaaay too tame for me. So far I've added an AEM CAI, and am happy with the roar it gives in the upper reaches of the tachometer. I put on DC Sports Headers and feel like the exhaust note got even deeper. This is all well and good, but during normal driving (shifting around 3k RPM and going 65-70mph on the highway) the car sounds pretty much stock to me. I have BerkTech HFC's on the way, which I'm sure will make it louder...so now on to my real question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j8SBUuwZdw

Will I be unhappy after 1 month if I decide to buy the Agency Power exhaust? I'm afraid it'll be awesome at first but will suck driving with the top down. Any other ZR owners have the AP?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Highmiles43

Originally Posted by mvisit1
Sorry to revive an old thread, but better that then to start a new one and get flamed for not using the search function...right?

When I bought my '06 DB ZR, it had the Borla TD on it...it has a nice deep exhaust note, but it's waaaaay too tame for me. So far I've added an AEM CAI, and am happy with the roar it gives in the upper reaches of the tachometer. I put on DC Sports Headers and feel like the exhaust note got even deeper. This is all well and good, but during normal driving (shifting around 3k RPM and going 65-70mph on the highway) the car sounds pretty much stock to me. I have BerkTech HFC's on the way, which I'm sure will make it louder...so now on to my real question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j8SBUuwZdw

Will I be unhappy after 1 month if I decide to buy the Agency Power exhaust? I'm afraid it'll be awesome at first but will suck driving with the top down. Any other ZR owners have the AP?
That sounds totally annoying, and would be unbearable in a roadster.
What does that mean?
It means that everyone's taste is different, and it might be perfect for you.
Only you can make the choice.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Highmiles43

My second thought on that is slightly different.
If I could turn that on and off, it would be sweet, but I wouldn't want to live with it on a daily basis.
Long trips would give me a headache.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so OP, you have a 550whp+ roadster @17psi and you are running stock cats and 2.5" inch stillen exhaust? if so i would officially like to call
Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
mvisit1

Originally Posted by Highmiles43
My second thought on that is slightly different.
If I could turn that on and off, it would be sweet, but I wouldn't want to live with it on a daily basis.
Long trips would give me a headache.
Yeah it does sound sweet, doesn't it? But I'm pretty sure it would be annoying for passengers and cops running radar would hear me coming from a mile away. Thoughts on the Greddy Ti-C?

It sounds tame on the YouTube clips, but I bet those guys didn't have CAI, Headers, & HFC's. Also, just placed order for Stillen Y-Pipe today.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
_STEVEO_01

Originally Posted by Nexx
so OP, you have a 550whp+ roadster @17psi and you are running stock cats and 2.5" inch stillen exhaust? if so i would officially like to call
I concur with you Nexx. Something seems fishy here. Dyno sheet with screen name AND pics of a topless hot blonde or it didn't happen.

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 05-24-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Phreakdout

Dude, the OP posted his question 5 years ago. Everytime you update your signature, it is updated on every post you ever made. Of course he was not pulling 550Hp when he wrote this in 2005.

I do know he was running an APS Twin Turbo at some point so it is very possible.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM
A3VT 74

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Dude, the OP posted his question 5 years ago. Everytime you update your signature, it is updated on every post you ever made. Of course he was not pulling 550Hp when he wrote this in 2005.

I do know he was running an APS Twin Turbo at some point so it is very possible.
Phreak - Nice catch... i love when that happens...

people should not be calling other people out without all the FACTS...
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
mvisit1

Just got my Stillen Y-Pipe and GReddy Ti-C single installed today. It's exactly what I wanted. Still has that trademark VQ sound, just amplified even during normal shifting at 3k rpm. You can definitely hear it when I step on it, yet it's tame at cruising speeds.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 AM
gidiup

Again.. Hot topless blonde or its BS.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
bobbyz350

i am currently running aps 2.5 test pipes with the hks hi power dual. listen fellas it doesn't matter how loud it is. it is what the driver likes. we all have different tastes and we all have nice cars!!! so no roadster is too loud