Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by rouxeny
I can't believe I've missed this thread. Jeff, excellent write up and as many have said, thanks for taking the time to help the members of this site.

Maybe we could get it updated as time goes?
Thanks Rouxeny!

Wow, over 10,000 hits on this thread and over 100 replies and counting!

Someone mentioned when I first posted it that they could not believe I took the time to write such a long thread for people I don't even know. All of the postive feedback has made it more than worth it to me. I was hoping to help a few new guys out and it appears I have done so. Just this week alone a half dozen newbies have pm'ed me for specific advise. I try my best to give good information.

To me, the forums are all about people with the same interests helping each other out. I learned a great deal from various people on my350z.com so giving back to the "Z community" is just part of the deal.

I am currently putting more effort into developing some detailed articles for SportZ magazine. Hopefully in the coming months you will see some of my efforts in print.

Z U later....Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 03-30-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Anything that would help others, then lets do it. That is a concern of mine, a new guy that reads this post this week benefit from this thread but 2 months from now, a guy joins the site and is back to reading thread after thread without seeing the bigger picture until maybe after making some unwise choices in mod selections.

This thread is not an answer to all questions, just a cheat sheet that primes new members for understanding all the details in other posts IMHO.

Jeff - zland
Thanx Jeff....I was looking into 19" rims for my baby.....but after reading I will now opt for 18". Not looking to take chances possibly bending a wheel or losing power......awesome job!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 AM
1000HP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

I feel like I struck gold when I started reading your post. I must express my gratitude for your exemplary effort and patience in researching and writing this article. I've been through countless searches trying to find simple answers wasting hours regarding beginner questions and so this post definately cleared up critical questions and uncertainties involving my future modifications, while saving tons of time.

Furthermore, I was highly impressed with the way you dealt with the attack against you and your credibility. Instead of lashing out in anger, you maintained your cool and decided to be firm, while expressing your thoughts and feelings in a manner that was civil and professional. The fact that you wrote a most-likely heated, aggressive, and completely negative re-post simply to delete it sets a great example of how to deal with personal attacks on this forum. I recall Abraham Lincoln did the same thing against his own dissidents.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your plans for your Z in the future and I urge you to continue to post any new information and ideas since many members now look to you as a credible source of information.

Cordially,
Vincent
Old 04-10-2004, 03:41 PM
FLZ

Default Mod tips

Great advice, sincerely, but these are my thoughts, First I'm 42 with two kids. So I for one, and I'm sure, like many others, Buy a Z cuz we're not very practical people anyway. It's not a mid-life crisis thing with me, that is unless I've been in a mid-life crisis since I was about 13. Always a car NUT. I also think anyone who mods a car huge has got to know this ain't an investment. Only real young people who have'nt bought and sold a few cars yet couldn't figure this out yet. And most teens can't afford a new Z, (unless Ma and Pa helps out), and there's nothing wrong with that, but even if that's the case, I doubt Ma and Pa will also fork out for expensive mods too. One last thing. It IS a good thing the Mrs. likes HER suv. :-) Just my 3 cents worth. signed, Always the impractical car buyer, FLZ Dave Z Ya !
Old 04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
FLZ

Default Re: Mod tips One more thing...

Originally posted by FLZ
Great advice, sincerely, but these are my thoughts, First I'm 42 with two kids. So I for one, and I'm sure, like many others, Buy a Z cuz we're not very practical people anyway. It's not a mid-life crisis thing with me, that is unless I've been in a mid-life crisis since I was about 13. Always a car NUT. I also think anyone who mods a car huge has got to know this ain't an investment. Only real young people who have'nt bought and sold a few cars yet couldn't figure this out yet. And most teens can't afford a new Z, (unless Ma and Pa helps out), and there's nothing wrong with that, but even if that's the case, I doubt Ma and Pa will also fork out for expensive mods too. One last thing. It IS a good thing the Mrs. likes HER suv. :-) Just my 3 cents worth. signed, Always the impractical car buyer, FLZ Dave Z Ya !
By the way you still have one of the best posts I've ever read......
Old 04-10-2004, 09:12 PM
ElvishasaZ

Originally posted by 1000HP
Jeff,

.... I recall Abraham Lincoln did the same thing against his own dissidents.

Cordially,
Vincent
Wow!!! Dude you must be really old.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by 1000HP
Jeff,

I feel like I struck gold when I started reading your post. I must express my gratitude for your exemplary effort and patience in researching and writing this article. I've been through countless searches trying to find simple answers wasting hours regarding beginner questions and so this post definately cleared up critical questions and uncertainties involving my future modifications, while saving tons of time.

Furthermore, I was highly impressed with the way you dealt with the attack against you and your credibility. Instead of lashing out in anger, you maintained your cool and decided to be firm, while expressing your thoughts and feelings in a manner that was civil and professional. The fact that you wrote a most-likely heated, aggressive, and completely negative re-post simply to delete it sets a great example of how to deal with personal attacks on this forum. I recall Abraham Lincoln did the same thing against his own dissidents.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your plans for your Z in the future and I urge you to continue to post any new information and ideas since many members now look to you as a credible source of information.

Cordially,
Vincent
Vincent, thanks for all your feedback, I appreciate it. I started writing for SportZ magazine and hopefully you will see some of my "more in depth" research in print in coming issues.

Jeff - zland
Old 04-16-2004, 12:05 PM
StoneColdZ

Default Thanks!

As a new member to this forum (activated today), thanks! I am considering mods to my 2004 Roadster, and this was most informative.

I am just looking to enhance the already beautiful look of my car. I am considering Maya STM Hyper Black Rims and possibly a body kit from Kaminari. What mods will VOID the manufacturers warranty? I am considering simple things like an intake, springs and a new exhaust system. Will these three things VOID my warranty?

Thanks again. Great post! Once my rims are on, I will post a pic of my car.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by StoneColdZ
As a new member to this forum (activated today), thanks! I am considering mods to my 2004 Roadster, and this was most informative.

I am just looking to enhance the already beautiful look of my car. I am considering Maya STM Hyper Black Rims and possibly a body kit from Kaminari. What mods will VOID the manufacturers warranty? I am considering simple things like an intake, springs and a new exhaust system. Will these three things VOID my warranty?

Thanks again. Great post! Once my rims are on, I will post a pic of my car.
Read the recent post regarding tire feathering. If you modify the tires, wheels, or suspension of your car (besides certain NISMO S items) you will be voiding your warranty related to those components of your car. To be specific, if you add coilover to your car and bring it in complaining about tire feathering, they will not cover the tirer feathering with the coilovers on the car.

My suggestion is to talk to customer friendly Nissan dealers such as Performance Nissan and they can guide you on specifics. Some dealers are more difficult to work with than others.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2004, 06:59 AM
willpower

I was just reading about clear bras a few pages back.....I got a few quote's the other day for the hood and bumper kit, the cheapest I got was around $800 fitted,dunno about you guys but I thought that was damn expensive. So then I got to thinking what if I fit a CF hood for around $500 and then just get the clear bra for the bumper, rock chip problem solved plus I love the look of those CF hoods.

Jeff..........Nice one
Old 04-18-2004, 10:31 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just went for the clear bra on the bumper. I felt the majority of chips would be in that rear and I did not personally like the clear bra over the hood. After 7000 miles, not one chip on the hood.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:03 PM
StarcraftBW

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! that's all i can say.....
I bought a G35 couple 5 months ago. So I was thinking about fix up my car....but this post really does help me to decide.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:51 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Hey Jeff

Will you be at Motorsport Z Nationals this Sunday? I'm sure a lot of us would like to shake your hand and thank you in person
Old 04-24-2004, 11:45 AM
zorrocar1

Great read I really enjoyed it. I am a brand new Z owner had a bunch of questions still do. I did get a a bunch of them answered though. I had a couple to ask of you though.

1. I live in texas and there are no clearbra dealers how do I get one? Maybe through my dealership?

2. Do you know anything about that crystalguard stuff?

3. Probably gonna get the Pioneer AVIC-N1 deck 6.5 inch touch screen. Have you heard any feedback on it?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:41 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by AudioPat
Hey Jeff

Will you be at Motorsport Z Nationals this Sunday? I'm sure a lot of us would like to shake your hand and thank you in person
Actually, I was at the go-cart racing Friday night, the Motorsport shop on Saturday morning, and auto-cross in the afternoon. I was at the dinner Saturday night as well.

Yes, I will be at the car show on Sunday. Art and Dave of SportZ magazine will be at the SportZ magazine table selling current and back issues and of course giving a special rate for those in attendance. I will be running around shooting pictures of Z's that catch my sttention and asking Z owners a lot of questions about their Z's. If you dont see me, ask Dave or Art and they will point me out to you. So anyone who cares to say hello, I will be wearing a red T-shirt with Rip Curl written on it.

Tonight they said over 600 Z's are expected to be in the show tomorrow; Sounds like a lot of fun for us Z guys!

Sorry for posting late, I just got back from Anaheim.

Jeff - zland
Old 04-25-2004, 06:24 PM
akurakid

Default New 350z Owner

Wow, thanks for all of the info. Would sure help me a lot when it comes to modifying the Z. Thanks for all of your effort. Really appreciated..!!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Dark_fusion42

write
Old 04-29-2004, 10:40 PM
BruceLee25

thanks for all the useful information !i've learned a lot !
Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Sly_Z

This is good info to have , thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 10:11 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Some people have asked me to update this post. Actually, this post is a general overview for mainly targeted for the "new" Z owner.

I am working on some articles for SportZ magazine now that our more specific. My first work with SZM was related to their supercharger shoot out. As you can see, that article was focused on one type of specific modification rather a general overview. Stay tune for more articles to come. I think I got some fun things most people will enjoy coming soon. My goal is to take the research I am doing and write articles that benefit others that maybe dont have the time to do the type of research I am doing. I hope everyone likes them....

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 05-06-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.